Software suggestion for a uncommon need

Sarath

iDota
Hi everyone,
I hope some one will be able to help me with this. I know it is a rather weird request but I hope there is a solution to it.

Summary:
I have a text document. The contents include my messages and conversations in a typical format seen in many messenger applications. More precisely it is a back up copy of my Whatsapp (application) conversation from my Android phone. The problem is that the whole conversation isnt arranged neatly how it is supposed to be, as in, the entire conversation is in the form of one continuous linear manner without any seperations between indivisual messages.
Something like this:
"Person A: Hi Person B: Hey I am good. How are you? Person A: I am fine. So whats happening? Person B:..."

Now it is a huge conversation so it is becoming really difficult to read it. So my question is:

Q: Is there any software that can help me arrange the conversation in a proper manner? Ok I know I am not clear with it.
Basically manually what I would do is press enter after every users message so that it becomes something like this:

Person A: Hi
Person B: Hey I am good. How are you?
Person A: I am fine. So whats happening?
Person B:...

Is there any software or some trick in MS Word itself that can automate this process?

:-(

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I'm not aware of any software which can do that for you. But if you know little bit programming you can write a C program yourself, or can write a VB program in macro which can do that for you.

sakumar79

Technomancer
I am not 100% sure these will work, but you can try it.

Option 1: try opening in word, find and replace "Person A:" with "\nPerson A:".

Option 2: It is not the complete shortcut what you want but it will make the work much faster especially if the file is large...

There is a software called Crimson Editor which is free and basically a programmer's notepad (includes syntax highlighting, macros, etc.). Now, in this program we can record macros and duplicate the task. So, you run the program and open the file. Press Ctrl + F to open search window and type "Person A:". It will go to first instant of the phrase. Then go to record macros, set a name and keystroke. Once it is ready to start recording, shift the cursor by required spaces to reach before the phrase and press enter. Then press F3 to go to next search entry. Then stop the recording. Now, run the macro again and again until you reach the last entry. Repeat the same with the other person name.

Hope that helps
Arun

Top Bottom