software for animation

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
me and my friend are intersted in making some anumations after exam but there are just so many to choose from and there trials are also in GBs.... this would be our first try so please suggest a easy to use software... have heard name like 3ds max, blender, maya, cinema4d... used blender but didnt understand what and how to do....

patrick4

Chief
3ds Max or Maya, pick one and stick with it.. there are many online vedio tutorials and ebooks available where you can learn from..

PS - animation is something you have to spend time and effort learning.. Its not like MS word or ppt where you can simply launch the application, click on random buttons and figure out what to do..

OP
pramudit

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
we are ready to spend about 2months in summer just to learn animation.... and we are interested in 3d animation rather than 2d......

clmlbx

Technomancer
2 month is too less to learn 3D, Do you have story in Mind, I will tell you process for making any 3D Movie..

1. story Boarding
2. start Modelling (start creating characters and props)
3. Texture and materials (uv solve, deciding materials and creating Textures)
3. Rigging (It is like adding skeleton in Body to animate it properly and fast)
4. Animation (here is animation)
5. post production (final cut or adding effects and credits)

you can learn flash in 2 months (2D Animation)

I am not discouraging you, but that is a Fact,

If it is just Fun and learn project Do what you like.... even go for 3D

If you are just Interested in animation then you can download models,textures everything and just do animation for your self, their are many model(characters and props), textures,rigs available for free

OP
pramudit

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
we just want to develop our basics in 3d animation, we know developing a movie takes a lot of skills and time....

for computer isnt my computer enough...? i'll be upgrading to 4gb ram.... may buy a new gpu but only if its necessary...

clmlbx

Technomancer
yes it is good enough for start,learning Basics..

How are you planning to learn?

In 3D apps, maya is best for animation, whole industry relies on it.

Contact me if you need any help in it.

RahulB

Journeyman
Blender is quite good, open source with lot of tutorials. I agree it is little difficult to learn, but once you get a hang of it, you will find the interface very useful. Maya is also like Blender, but a lot powerful. Sorry you can't learn advanced animation in two months, you need an year atleast ( that is the time it took me get efficient at Maya ). If you are good at programming (Python) you can extract a whole lot more out of Maya or Blender. Don't expect to create the next Rango though.

I guess you just want to start learning animation, start 3D modelling first. I suggest start with Google Sketchup first. I also highly recommend using Autodesk Mudbox, it is very simple to learn and you can get a lot of tutorials for it. It is not free though.

After you get comfortable, choose a tool, Maya or Houdini and stick to it and become a pro at it. Don't try to learn too many at once, it is no use. If you want to render soft body effects spectral work etc i.e 3d animation go with Maya or Houdini. If you want to do game development, then 3ds max is better. Forget other tools like Laboa, Z-brush, Mari right now. Also get a good powerful rig if don't like staring at screens while your render complete. Not an issue before while doing 3d modelling but will matter during lighting and rendering

Sujeet

Undead!!!
digit did fast track on maya and 2ds max alongwith hd tuts videos...really worthy for beginning animation....2d /3d ...doesnt matter much for learner...basics are same...key frame technique../u must master it for smooth animation.

OP
pramudit

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
i have 3ds max fasttrack but not maya one...

yes it is good enough for start,learning Basics..

How are you planning to learn?

In 3D apps, maya is best for animation, whole industry relies on it.

Contact me if you need any help in it.

we are actually planning to make some models first, then put them in a scene and then just move them.... we want it to do step by step and not everything at once... also since we havnt done this before so we will be getting tutorials but there are just to many programs and we dont know which one is better... also due to first time we want a user friendly program..... but confused in so many programs....

Blender is quite good, open source with lot of tutorials. I agree it is little difficult to learn, but once you get a hang of it, you will find the interface very useful. Maya is also like Blender, but a lot powerful. Sorry you can't learn advanced animation in two months, you need an year atleast ( that is the time it took me get efficient at Maya ). If you are good at programming (Python) you can extract a whole lot more out of Maya or Blender. Don't expect to create the next Rango though.

I guess you just want to start learning animation, start 3D modelling first. I suggest start with Google Sketchup first. I also highly recommend using Autodesk Mudbox, it is very simple to learn and you can get a lot of tutorials for it. It is not free though.

After you get comfortable, choose a tool, Maya or Houdini and stick to it and become a pro at it. Don't try to learn too many at once, it is no use. If you want to render soft body effects spectral work etc i.e 3d animation go with Maya or Houdini. If you want to do game development, then 3ds max is better. Forget other tools like Laboa, Z-brush, Mari right now. Also get a good powerful rig if don't like staring at screens while your render complete. Not an issue before while doing 3d modelling but will matter during lighting and rendering

we are not here to create a movie... we just want to start with basic stuffs... make some models and assemble them to make a complete scene and.might try to move them or give a effect...

clmlbx

Technomancer
In my opinion just start with Maya, most user friendly(as said by most, to me I am more used to 3ds max as I learnt that first) and good for animation.

Well yes even ball travelling from A to B is animation.

start with Maya..

OP
pramudit

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
ok.... just one more question why are these software priced in lakhs...?
3ds max-3500$= >150000.... :(

clmlbx

Technomancer
people earn from it that much

3D is used in variety of things from Movies, Planning, Games

In India for 1 second of 3D content it costs minimum Rs 500(depend on content)

In animation it counts in Seconds.

sanoob.tv

Dr.gB
if you are a begginer try muvizu.(600 mb)
it was there in one of digits dvds not sure which one.
its so simple.n awesome.

you can get its tutorial in youtube.n they are quiet simpl to learn too.

Top Bottom