So many Linux Version every month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Here again you misunderstood me.
Is there any attitude problem with u?
I am not comparing. I am using windows from the starting and I know about windows. I just replied to the real facts to CoolG5.

Please do me a favor. Spare me the attitude talk. You hardly know me to make a judgement call about me.

But one thing for sure you looks a genius in Linux field.
so I am leaving my personal difference and asking some thing to You. Hope you will guide me.
I'm not an expert in this field. Although I don't have a problem with you I surely don't support Windows XP comparisons with Linux on any thread unless the Topic is about the same.
My intent is use Linux fully one day(after getting easy with it). But not today.
I'm sorry but do you intend on using Linux just for one day or plan on moving to Linux hopefully one day? If it is for "one day" then use a Live CD anythign beyond that is a hassle. If you plan on moving to Linux eventually and make the swtich, then Read On.
I own a light machine.
dual core, 1 gb ram 256mb vedio ram. Compaq machine.
Good, you have more than enough for any heavy distro.
1. Learn Linux.
To learn Linux you can use any Linux Operating System at first and then casually move to the harder ones. ,
2.I am learning PHP these days. So it could help me in Web designing.
You can install what people refer to LAMP and play or fiddle with PHP as much as you want. Again if you plan on learning PHP I think you are referring to using Linux in the Long run so I would suggest a distro based on you Internet Connection.
3. Web surfing.
As long as your Internet Connection works you can do this on any Distro.
4. Ease of use(its optional if it comes in way of learning linux I will prefer leaving it.)
Unlike what most anti-Linux zealots say Linux isn't Rocket Science. Its quite easy to use. Provided you can get it installed on your system correctly. If you can't then you will have to probably resort to a compile, editing a couple of files etc. Thats not going to change and I'm pretty sure it never will.
5. I like to join the open source community.
You don't have to install Linux to contribute to OSS. You could install Firefox , OpenOffice.org or the others and help them maintain it , develop solutions for it , find bugs, help folks in forums, documentation (I have started to learn this process in KDE). etc. Although you get a huge array of choices if you do install Linux.
I want a complete transfer from windows to Linux.(But I am not sure because I does a lot of gamming also.)
Games is a weak point on Linux. Although there are tons of Workarounds or Software which let you run Win Games on it.
Wine
Cedega
WIneDoors
PlayonLinux
Crossover Games

My experience tells me that the most supported games are the ones that sually have a huge fanbase for it. So if you play one of the common games like Call of Duty , Half -Life or Diablo you are in Luck. Otherwise if you are one of those who play rare games like Chessmaster X then you might run into problems getting the same to run. That said I have run COD4 , Serious Sam and Diablo on my system flawlessly. To check if your game runs check the above products and see in their database if it is supported. Further more you may experience performance hits base don the game you run. Otherwise you could make your system a Dual Boot which is what most gamers do anyway. Or if you just want some games to play with there are alternatives like Urban Terror, Warsow, Wesnoth etc .

Please give all the tweaks and configurations
In easy steps. I will ask you again if I hv some problems.
Not even possible. There are like millions of tips out there, listing them all out in this thread without knowing what you need is not practical. If you have a problem ona certain platform post it and some one if they know the answer might help out.
Ok I just seen that You have a Sticky thread!!! You a big gun boy. (And I think that this is the root directory of your attitude problem.) It means I am really talking to a Genius. Don't you think you should sound a bit soft.
Ok now its ur duty to make me something in the fields of Linux by guiding me.
The sticky thread is not mine. I just recompiled it to put everyones post including some of the experts who used to frequent this forum in there. I would kill to see people like Gnurag posting more tidbits on Linux. Not to mention one of our in house experts not being available. If there is a thread I know the answer for I definitely tend to contribute in anyway I can, its my way of contributing back to OSS.

Please refrain on posting about me. I'm hardly in any mood to quantify my attitude in semantical terms.

As far as your distro is concerend my recommendation is this.
If you have a good internet Connection then Mandriva or Ubuntu. I would have suggested openSuse but it seems that quite a few folks are having a problem with it and hence I would refrain from recommending it. I might be wrong but if you choose OpenSuse then check with NucleusKore he has been running that for ages now. If you don't have a Good Internet Connection then Mint is the way to go.

That said the above is only my opinion and it may vary for multiple users. For further more info check out the stickies.

Rahim

Married!
FIlledvoid, spare toofan with these long posts :D
As suggested by him, Toofan you can safely go for Ubuntu Hardy or Mandriva. Looking at your specs openSUSE 11.0 will also be fine as it has Graphics-driven configuration Manager (YaST) for everything. You dont have to do CLI.

Why dont you dual-boot with XP & Linux? Best of both worlds !!! There would be no problem at all. You can shoose to boot into OS of your choice at Grub Menu.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
My intent is use Linux fully one day(after getting easy with it). But not today.
I own a light machine.
dual core, 1 gb ram 256mb vedio ram. Compaq machine.
That's way better than what I use and you call it light? This machine isn't anyway light for linux.
1. Learn Linux.
Start with a newbie friendly distro like Mandriva or Linux Mint or PCLinuxOS. And if you have good bandwidth you can go with ubuntu, too, since they have a really huge community.
2.I am learning PHP these days. So it could help me in Web designing.
This doesn't really matter. The tools are same on all supported OS's. So, your favourite editor, IDE, webserver, modules, et al will be available on windows as well as linux. Maybe you'll miss a few things like file permissions and stuff which is *nix specific but I dunno how much use do people make of it.
3. Web surfing.
Linux is always a better choice here as it is inherently more secure in this area but always follow the safety measures. If anything is on the net it is not totally secure.
4. Ease of use(its optional if it comes in way of learning linux I will prefer leaving it.)
That's a very ill-defined and varying term. I find it easier to type a command or two than make 100's of click to get a task done. That's ease of use for me. It may differ for you. Everything has it's learning curve, so does every OS but with Windows people don't realise cos they use it around for good amount of time. I learnt Linux way faster than I did with Windows but then I was hardly familiar with Windows either when I start. It's the unlearning that hinders people, I hardly had that and it's served me well with Linux and FreeBSD.
5. I like to join the open source community.
You're most welcome to join it. You're never pushed in, you just join in. You have to yourself become a part of it as you go along.
I want a complete transfer from windows to Linux.(But I am not sure because I does a lot of gamming also.)
That's your own decision, no one can make it for you.
Please give all the tweaks and configurations In easy steps. I will ask you again if I hv some problems.
There's no silver bullet to bite. Just keep using it to do your tasks, initially you may have problems but after a while you will get accustomed to it. There are books available in Market like Red Hat Bible, some books for Fedora, a couple for Ubuntu, which cover desktop usage and minimal command line usage. You may want to check those out to start with. Also, in the tutorials section Gigacore has started a thread containing links to various e-books some of them are really good.

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Thanks Filled Void for ur support. I m having a DVD ubuntu 8.04 In my hand as I have a broadband 256 kbps connection.
I had decided to make my machine a dual boot. Hope there will be no problems. Tomorrow evening will be a right choice for it.
I like the language you used this time. Now U sound like a generous Master. And let forget the past dear.No more personal comments from me now onwards.

Mehulved(????) thanks to u too. I am cheking the Gegacore threads.

Any further Installation suggestions about Ubuntu are most welcome.

Last edited:
OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Hello Friends (one special one:p),

I have installed Fedora 9 as a dual booting. It was really a pain. But I liked installing it. It took full 6-7 hours as I was new to understand linux. But after that it worked great. Now i am spending much time on linux. I have some quaries

1. How to make a dialup connection for my bsnl broadband in linux.
2. Now I am not able to access other drives from Fedora. and vise versa. Is it possilble????? So that I can use the song and movie collection stored in my other drives. I formated my F drive as ext3.
3. At the time of installation i was not sure about anything. So i never make a swap space. Is this will help in anyway? If yes then can i still make it without reinstalling.

Questin 1 is most important.:)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Hello Friends (one special one:p),

I have installed Fedora 9 as a dual booting. It was really a pain. But I liked installing it. It took full 6-7 hours as I was new to understand linux. But after that it worked great. Now i am spending much time on linux. I have some quaries

1. How to make a dialup connection for my bsnl broadband in linux.
2. Now I am not able to access other drives from Fedora. and vise versa. Is it possilble????? So that I can use the song and movie collection stored in my other drives. I formated my F drive as ext3.
3. At the time of installation i was not sure about anything. So i never make a swap space. Is this will help in anyway? If yes then can i still make it without reinstalling.

Questin 1 is most important.:)
1. Why not setup router itself ? Btw other members will guide you well here.
2. ext3 are mounted by default. others can be easily.
post output of
which ntfs-3g
3. If you have ample RAM (1 GB or greater) then there is no need for swap. And yes you can create a swap partition now.

Rahim

Married!
You can use GParted Live CD to create a swap partition (512 MB is enough) and then edit /etc/fstab file in Fedora and make an entry for Swap
/dev/sdax swap swap defaults 0 0
Just change the sdax accordingly.
Check if ntfs-3g & ntfs-config are already installed from Package manager and then edit fstab files accordingly.

For your braodband query follow this How-To Configure DSL in Fedora Linux

And post the output of fdisk -l here (it reuiqres root privilege)

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
@rahim & T-159 I understood how to do the DSL configuration. As you say swap space is not needed as I have 1 GB ram.
Now the second issue:

That How to access the other drives from linux? That I don't understand. Please clarify it and if U or anyone can tell me stepwise that would be a great help.

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
I m using Fedora 9. and this time I am using the broad band from this os. Its good but what about my questions.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yup, just elaborate your problem. I was out of order for few days. Guess this section has gone cold *s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/94.png

Rahim

Married!
@rahim & T-159 I understood how to do the DSL configuration. As you say swap space is not needed as I have 1 GB ram.
Now the second issue:

That How to access the other drives from linux? That I don't understand. Please clarify it and if U or anyone can tell me stepwise that would be a great help.
You have to install ntfs-3g and ntfs-config from the package manager of the distro and if you want to mount them on bootup then edit /etc/fstab file and create mount-points.

This is my fstab file
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST380011A_5JVK3T6C-part8 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300631A_5NF118S9-part1 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300631A_5NF118S9-part4 /home ext3 defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST380011A_5JVK3T6C-part7 /media/arch ext3 defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300631A_5NF118S9-part2 /media/dump ext3 defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST380011A_5JVK3T6C-part6 /media/mint ext3 defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST3300631A_5NF118S9-part3 /media/multi ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST380011A_5JVK3T6C-part5 /media/others ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST380011A_5JVK3T6C-part1 /media/winxp ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

Partitions are mounted in Linux. My ntfs drives are mounted in /media/ folder.
SO create the desired folders in /media/ , say, /media/songs and then edit fstab files accordingly (see my fstab file)

Last edited:

nach

24X7 GNU/Linux UseR
ntfs-3g is by default installed in Fedora 9 and it mounts all drives automatically.
Btw maybe you are facing problem because of selinux.
Just disable it or keep it on permissive mode.
System - Administration- Selinux Management

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Friends Now I am moving from Fedora to Ubuntu 8.10 can any one tell me how to retain my xp as the first choice to load as this machine is used by other members also and they use XP.
Same I did with Fedora but i forget now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom