So many Linux Version every month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toofan

Technomancer
A strange question come to my mind that the people using linux thanks team digit for the ever version of Linux OS they provide.
1. Do you people change ur OS every month?
2. If you do so, you have to formate the hard-drive each time. Means reinstalling all ur application and tweaks again and again.?
3. Don't u fed up of doing so? Why not to stick to one OS? for at least a year or So.

I use's the Linux only for testing purpose so that I can know what developments are made in the world of Linux. I install it in the Virtual Box?

I am quite satisfied with my XP experience which I only reinstalled once.(as It helps me in gaming).

I want to have a permanent installation of Linux on my system.
Which one to chose? I am quite confused.

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
Toofan you are right.
but agar wo linux nahi denge to dual layer dvd full kaise hogi?
BTW ubantoo is great.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
@FilledVoid , dude DO NOT start bashing a new member . he's just askin for some help ?

@toofan , you can start with Ubuntu or OpenSuse . two of the easiest and most supported distros out there .

you can get ubuntu from *www.ubuntu.com

while installing ubuntu , you have the option of resizing the windows partition so that you can have both linux and windows on your hdd .

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I'd suggest you to use Linux Mint as opposed to Ubuntu. Also I think aptOnCD can be used to restore your applications etc. FlyBack is another application that can be used to restore applications, I haven't tried it for restoring Gutsy apps on hardy, but I guess it can be done.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
This question is going to lead another OS war, but still I will answer it.
I don't get fed up of changing OS every 2-3 months. On the contrary, we do not need to install any apps as Linux distro's comes packed with all the esential softwares like GIMP, Firefox, Evolution etc. Also I do not game a lot, so I am mostly on Linux. :)

I like to keep my pc upgraded, so installing newer release is more of a pleasure than a headache. :)

Also I thanks Digit, as I do not have a good net connection to download such big distros. If I had owned a fast net connection, then I would not have been dependent on Digit for Linux Distros.

Also I would like to ask you a few questions. I don't intend to do a war, but just as you asked, here is mine :

1) Don't you windows user get bored of the same old OS?
2) Don't you have to reinstall Windows every month to tackle virus issues and other problems?

Rahim

Married!
The way Filledvoid and Cool G5 are going , I guess nobody here will miss Prakash Bhai anymore :D You two have taken the mantle from him!!!

So many versions: Bcoz more and more new features are integrated/added to the Linux OS distros and they are upgraded/updated quite often. Hence, new releases of the respective distros are more frequent.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I have no intentions to start a war here but I am tempted to reply to the above questions mainly coz of question one.

I am bored sick of the same old OS. In fact am bored sick of the very concept that everything is a file or a folder in the computer. I want a much much more interactive experience from computers. It should be like talking to a person, not like the storage chest of files and folders that we have always lived up. I want the computer to be like I ask something like i ask any other person, not having to click and type to get to a file. Since every OS relies on the file folder architectural philosophy. I am bored of every OS.

As for question 2 no I do not have to reinstall Windows on a monthly basis. Reasons are simple. I do not use an Administrator account, I use Firefox with AdBlocker and RIP and finally I do not go clicking any link without first looking in the status bar ,where the link leads to.

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
Most of us here are posting under the garb of "I dont want to start an OS war but...".
Is it not obvious? Such queries will lead to such "wars".
If Mods are really serious about it then probably they should delete this kind of threads and warn the members.

EDIT: @kumar: Plz reply to the questions posed in the 1st post by toofan. Asking such questions and then expecting "sweet" answers from GNU/Linux users, is not fair.

I will take toofan's queries, genuinely believing that he is new to Linux world and doesnt know about AptonCD or making separate /home folder for saving the conf files.
Otherwise if he had asked these questions to get a response ,then he deserve it.

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I have made the actual reason of my posting here bold face.

As for Linux distro reinstallation.. That is a personal choice. Anyone who has enough free time, like college students and all can reinstall distros every day. It s all about having enough time., I used to do it but now that I have a job, I do not have time. So I use Windows.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
To the thread starter,
It will be your choice to install a those many Linux version.
My experience with Ubuntu is great as i had internet connection too.

2) Don't you have to reinstall Windows every month to tackle virus issues and other problems?

1. Never. Whats so boring in using Windows, huh? Even the Linux distros have more or less the same functionalities...after all its Linux based. But I like using Linux too...its my personal choice.
2. I never reinstalled my XP since last 2 years. Its true Windows can be affected..but there are free antiviruses available. Also there are Linux Live CDs if the virus cannot be removed. :D what problems?

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
Hey FilledVoid.....
your reply to toofan is objectionable...
Plzzz Dont repeat it...

I think you are working for digit...>> so that u are bashed toofan...

Rahim

Married!
^Your observation should be pointed to the thread starter first.
Fileedvoid has just replied the obvious.

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
^Your observation should be pointed to the thread starter first.

What r u saying... ?????

Toofan has some doublts and post his questions and experience in pubic forum..
What is wrong with him...
if Filledvoid dont like to reply this thread, he should ignored the thread..
He has no right to insult other members even though he is senior...

And last one.. Plzzzz Don't make any politics here as "Juniors" & "Seniors"

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Hey FilledVoid.....
your reply to toofan is objectionable...
Plzzz Dont repeat it...

I think you are working for digit...>> so that u are bashed toofan...

Whats so objectionable?

And here are few things I think i should say :
1.) You dont need to upgrade your distro every 6th month... If your current one works for you.. Stick to it.... I know people who are still using edgy.

2.) If you think Linux is time consuming DONT use it. Use windows instead. :-|

3.) Choose your distro carefully. Before installing linux check backup ur essaintial data. You must know what you are doing.

4.)
cool_g5 said:
1.) This pissed me.. :D , Windows is an OS.. Linux is an OS. Both do their jobs well.. Dont start Bashing Windows wherever you see an opportunity. My answer to this is same as Kumarmohit's.

2.) No we dont have to. I am using my windows PC without any antivirus or forewall. No problem in last 6-7 month. :-| (I do use clamwin when I insert a pen drive though. But its no big deal)

Rahim

Married!
I am clueless how has he insulted the member ? I am at a loss here.
Betruger, you are behaving like an over-protected parent :D

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
As u are a senior, you should advise him to change the section...
Plzz Dont play with words to insulting others.. and behave like friends...

HOW COME you think filled-void insulted him?

His answer was clear.
Stop acting like thread poster's dad...
And remember asking the right question in right section is IMP...

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
Hello friends..
As we wont see in person.. plzzzzz forget our arguments...

we will focus on threads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom