So many Linux Version every month?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Its Ubuntu LOL. Yes Ubuntu is easiest linux distro as many say.

I would differ, OpenSuSE is still easier as in easy=GUI driven.

A strange question come to my mind that the people using linux thanks team digit for the ever version of Linux OS they provide.
1. Do you people change ur OS every month?
2. If you do so, you have to formate the hard-drive each time. Means reinstalling all ur application and tweaks again and again.?
3. Don't u fed up of doing so? Why not to stick to one OS? for at least a year or So.

Distros are updated every six months to a year, each has it's own life cycle. Now as long as the company is giving you security patches you are under no compulsion to upgrade. For example, Open SuSE 10.3 is quite good even now, so I would not compulsorily recommend users to upgrade to OpenSuSE 11.0, until such time comes that Novell stops support for 10.3.
On the other hand, I find Ubuntu 8.04 far better than it's earlier three predecessors, and so I am using that now. Also this release is a Long Term Support (LTS) release which means Canonical, the company, will support it with updates for three years. To make a long story short, if you install Ubuntu 8.04 today you have no headaches for quite some time.
Ubuntu is far lighter on the system resources than SuSE, but uses command line for a few tasks. OpenSuSE is almost completely GUI driven with an option to use command line if you so require. See this post
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=871189

Now the only reason why I did not write one for Ubuntu is that I found these too cumbersome
*help.ubuntu.com/community/ADSLPPPoE
*www.ubuntux.org/how-to-install-broadband-adsl-pppoe-client-rp-pppoe
I tried the roaring penguin pppoe dialer, it roared alright but I couldn't browse :S

Now you decide :)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Hello friends..
As we wont see in person.. plzzzzz forget our arguments...

we will focus on threads...

You could have thought of that when you started to post in here in the first place. Since you have taken the time to portay me as some FOSS terrorist let me do the honors and delete all of my posts from this thread.

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
You could have thought of that when you started to post in here in the first place. Since you have taken the time to portay me as some FOSS terrorist let me do the honors and delete all of my posts from this thread.

oh...:confused::confused::confused:
plz forget everything..
we will meet in new thread as friends..:):):)

adi007

Youngling
Use knoppix...
Yup i am right..use it u will never forget it...AFAIK it releases new version only after one year and yes it is good and stable

Mandriva is also good...i still remember it was my first linux distro which played mp3 files...(i was n00b then(even now i am :p) didn't knew why multimedia files are not playable in many distro's :p)

Sabayon linux is also like Opensuse
BTW Ubuntu Ultimate Edition is also nice
MEPIS is too Ok..

Lol i think i suggested a lot of distros but i love trying all the distro's :p

UPDATE: I forgot to suggest my all time favorite
PC Linux OS :D

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
FilleVoid,
it seems my simple questions have just hit(unintentionally) your some insecurities. I never said that anything wrong about Linux. I just pointed that why people thanks team digit for every Linux they provide. It is not possible for anyone to just keep installing and uninstalling OS. If you do so then when do you get time to do your real activities for which you have buyed you machine. I hope its just not for testing the OS.
One need to have one fixed OS to work with. that is what I meant in that post.
I want to use linux. I had installed it also but what i found is that it take a lot of time in booting. and for applications you have to search nd search. that may be because I am not used to using Linux.
Every month there are numbers of updated versions. How can one decide ( a newbie) which one is good.
Answers to some other questions.

1.How can one be bored of using an operating system. This question is only applicable to those who don't have some work to do on computer.Only he can be bored of same things every time. OS is for completing ur jobs in less time with great ease.
2. If any one know how to use windows he knows how to tackle with viruses. inspite of anti viruses and etc there are many ways to disinfect your infected computer. Thats why I have only once in 5 years reinstalled my XP and still it runs at a blazing speed.

Rest issues will be cleared soon as I and you all get time.

Thanks for ur support and suggestions members.

Vimal Joshi
Nainital

Rahim

Married!
NucleusKore has clarified that you dont need to upgrade if you dont want to.
If you have a separate /home partition then installing new Linux distro is a breeze and it preserves all your settings and i dont have to download many appz as distros comes pre-packed with them!!!!

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
it seems my simple questions have just hit(unintentionally) your some insecurities

Lol my insecurities. If thats what you believe then whatever floats your boat. I have little time to quarrel with the likes of you.

1.How can one be bored of using an operating system. This question is only applicable to those who don't have some work to do on computer.Only he can be bored of same things every time. OS is for completing ur jobs in less time with great ease.
2. If any one know how to use windows he knows how to tackle with viruses. inspite of anti viruses and etc there are many ways to disinfect your infected computer. Thats why I have only once in 5 years reinstalled my XP and still it runs at a blazing speed.

Can no one still see that he is still trying to compare Linux with Windows all over again? Personally I'm quite sick and tired of this. No one here is going to argue with you over proving that Windows is better than Linux or vice versa.

Anyway to be frank I only find your questions flamebait which some of the others seem to entertain. If you have a sincere Linux doubt ask it and stop querying why you want to install it over Windows XP.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
NucleusKore has clarified that you dont need to upgrade if you dont want to.
If you have a separate /home partition then installing new Linux distro is a breeze and it preserves all your settings and i dont have to download many appz as distros comes pre-packed with them!!!!

+1 for a separate home partition. You can use it with any distro even if you switch.

Can no one still see that he is still trying to compare Linux with Windows all over again? Personally I'm quite sick and tired of this. No one here is going to argue with you over proving that Windows is better than Linux or vice versa.

I really don't blame him :) I ALWAYS used to compare Linux with XP when I first tried to make the switch. It took me quite some time (more than a year) to realize that Linux is just different in most respects, and that one has to just accept this.

Let's leave everything at this, appears to have been some misunderstanding among members here. As for you, Betruger, if you have a problem with any members' posts/language just PM a moderator. Don't say it upfront, it makes matters worse. If the moderator(s) do not take any action there can be only one of two possibilities:
1. Everything's fine
2. There's somethign wrong with your perception

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Could you explain this part in a simpler manner. Thank you.

The benefit of a seperate home partition is numerous.

1. All your program user oriented settings are saved here.
2. You can leave your partiton as is and install a new distro and pretty much everythign is going to be the same I believe. Example your chat preferences , your email, icons , fonts etc.
3. You can easily back it all up.

I really don't blame him I ALWAYS used to compare Linux with XP when I first tried to make the switch. It took me quite some time (more than a year) to realize that Linux is just different in most respects, and that one has to just accept this.

I guess that could be fair but somehow I still see this ending up as a WIndows / Linux thread. Anyway to the ops questions.

For someone to recommend you a distro you need to explain the following.

Before you ask for a Distro

What is your purpose ?
Are you looking to just casually play around with it here and there? If so why install? Why not just use a Linux Live CD. No changes are made to your Win system and you get to goof around in Linux as well.

What is your system configuration?
We don't know if you have a C2Q or if you have a P533 for that matter. If I were to suggest you OpenSuse / Ubuntu / Mint you would be very angry at the results. If I were to ask you to install NimbleX on a C2Q with 4 Gb memory again it would be rathe silly because you could easily install some of the most heavier distros.

What is your intent?
Are you doing this for Office work, Entertainment, learn Linux. Mandriva and Ubuntu sort of have a way of giving GUIS for every single task there is. Hell I didn't even know how to create a user using CLI till I used Arch. that said if you don't want to use CLI why would I ask you to install Arch. You would scream bloody murder and chase me with a pitchfork.

How far are you willing to go and whats your experience level?
Trust me when i say Gentoo is not for beginners. Also trust me when I say that Linux Hardcore folks would set me on fire if I told them to install Ubuntu. The main question is how far are you willing to go. it took me a well one day to configure Arch. Are you willing to go that far. or do you want a ready made distro.

From my view these are the main questions to ask and answer in your post when you ask for a distro.

Anyway just my two cents .

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Whats so objectionable?

And here are few things I think i should say :
1.) You dont need to upgrade your distro every 6th month... If your current one works for you.. Stick to it.... I know people who are still using edgy.
Or use rolling releases and only upgrade the needed components as and when you like.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I mean how do you set a separate home directory, where is that achieved that from? Also, does this mean that if I have Hardy & I have this separate Home folder, I can install Mint or the next version and still have my settings etc.?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I mean how do you set a separate home directory, where is that achieved that from? Also, does this mean that if I have Hardy & I have this separate Home folder, I can install Mint or the next version and still have my settings etc.?

You can partition your drive with a seperate home directory during the install procedure. And yes as long as you install the same programs I believe it will work. You might run into an error stating that your home partiton needs to be set so that you can only read it . But thats fixed easily.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
@iMav..Even if you have located your home partition in your root (/), you can easily make another ext3 partition outside your / partition in your PC and migrate it there. I've tried it, it works, please read this
*www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/hardy/

Using this I managed to copy all Ubuntu home files to SuSE home partition and then made that partition the /home of Ubuntu. Off course i removed SuSE from my system.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
@iMav..Even if you have located your home partition in your root (/), you can easily make another ext3 partition outside your / partition in your PC and migrate it there. I've tried it, it works, please read this

If you already have your home folder on your root drive then adapt to this. Otherwise when installing choosing a /home partiton makes tasks easier as you don't have to create another partiton for it or migrate later. :)

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
Dear dear{FilledVoid}

Anyway to be frank I only find your questions flamebait which some of the others seem to entertain. If you have a sincere Linux doubt ask it and stop querying why you want to install it over Windows XP.
Here again you misunderstood me.
Is there any attitude problem with u?
I am not comparing. I am using windows from the starting and I know about windows. I just replied to the real facts to CoolG5.
Originally Posted by Cool G5 *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/Blue/buttons/viewpost.gif
1) Don't you windows user get bored of the same old OS?
2) Don't you have to reinstall Windows every month to tackle virus issues and other problems?
A strange question come to my mind that the people using linux thanks team digit for the ever version of Linux OS they provide.
2. If you do so, you have to formate the hard-drive each time. Means reinstalling all ur application and tweaks again and again.?
3. Don't u fed up of doing so? Why not to stick to one OS? for at least a year or So.
As I have said this is the strange question which is coming in my mind. I just asked to know what people really think about it and getting some help.

But one thing for sure you looks a genius in Linux field.
so I am leaving my personal difference and asking some thing to You. Hope you will guide me.

I guess that could be fair but somehow I still see this ending up as a WIndows / Linux thread. Anyway to the ops questions.

For someone to recommend you a distro you need to explain the following.

Before you ask for a Distro

What is your purpose ?
Are you looking to just casually play around with it here and there? If so why install? Why not just use a Linux Live CD. No changes are made to your Win system and you get to goof around in Linux as well.
My intent is use Linux fully one day(after getting easy with it). But not today.
What is your system configuration?
We don't know if you have a C2Q or if you have a P533 for that matter. If I were to suggest you OpenSuse / Ubuntu / Mint you would be very angry at the results. If I were to ask you to install NimbleX on a C2Q with 4 Gb memory again it would be rathe silly because you could easily install some of the most heavier distros.
I own a light machine.
dual core, 1 gb ram 256mb vedio ram. Compaq machine.
What is your intent?
Are you doing this for Office work, Entertainment, learn Linux. Mandriva and Ubuntu sort of have a way of giving GUIS for every single task there is. Hell I didn't even know how to create a user using CLI till I used Arch. that said if you don't want to use CLI why would I ask you to install Arch. You would scream bloody murder and chase me with a pitchfork.
1. Learn Linux.
2.I am learning PHP these days. So it could help me in Web designing.
3. Web surfing.
4. Ease of use(its optional if it comes in way of learning linux I will prefer leaving it.)
5. I like to join the open source community.
How far are you willing to go and whats your experience level?
Trust me when i say Gentoo is not for beginners. Also trust me when I say that Linux Hardcore folks would set me on fire if I told them to install Ubuntu. The main question is how far are you willing to go. it took me a well one day to configure Arch. Are you willing to go that far. or do you want a ready made distro.
I want a complete transfer from windows to Linux.(But I am not sure because I does a lot of gamming also.)

Please give all the tweaks and configurations In easy steps. I will ask you again if I hv some problems.

Ok I just seen that You have a Sticky thread!!! You a big gun boy. (And I think that this is the root directory of your attitude problem.) It means I am really talking to a Genius. Don't you think you should sound a bit soft.
Ok now its ur duty to make me something in the fields of Linux by guiding me.

Don't mind dear

Vimal joshi
Nainital

Last edited:

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent

1. Well it none of one concern.. It depends on person to person .. If you don't wanna use many GNU OS then stay away use only one. Also Distribution major update are after 6 Months ..

2. No need to .. Its ones choice.. Btw you need to do all tweaking if you upgrade the same OS say Ubuntu 8.04 -> 8.10

3. Tell me don't people format their HDD when Virus attacks Windows.. How many fixed that virus? How many Indian have proper or Internet connection with updated Virus Definitions / You need not to format again and again iof you upgrade the same GNU OS>.

Rahim

Married!
Yes you an. While installing any distro, under Partition Manager ,select a new partition and set its mount point to /home. Thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom