SO-DIMM Battle

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Hello Friends! In one of my previous posts named 'New RAM kicks out old RAM!', I stated a problem that the old 1 GB chip and the new 2 GB chip, together are not working well. I got many responses for it. But not an exact solution. Then on doing a research on Google, I found people speaking about Dual-channel and Single-channel architechture. They also said that for Dual-channel support ,chips having similar speeds, capacity, number of chips and sides and even matching sizes of rows and columns are needed. Now when I checked both the battling chips, they only had matching speeds. But the capacity and number of chips and sides & the size of rows and columns annoyed me.

So is my fight with this problem? Does this call the need for a similar 2 GB chip in half-price exchange of the 1 GB chip? Are Dual In-line Memory Module (DIMM) and Dual channel architecture having the same root? I believe I have got the solution and that's what I have stated above. Please share your opinions.

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
sell that 1 gb and get an exact 2 gb ram chip with same memory speed and same memory timings. If possible, buy chip from same company.

Dual channel involves 2 Ram sticks with same frequency, same clock timings, same speed.. and has little edge over using 2 separate sticks with different timings.

Go for it .. I am too using Dual channel kit .. and it shows RAM 7.0 in windows experience rating.. :D

OP
TechPlex

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Man does dual channel really boost WEI? Then I must sell this 1GB chip. Thanks man for one shot solution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom