slow usb3.0 transfer rate

samudragupta

Youngling
i recently got a WD 1tb hdd. the transfer rates are ridiculously slow. when i copy paste a file the transfer rate starts from 160mbps and then gradually drops to 30-40mbps... this happens with both large and small files. any help would be appreciated.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
your laptop has USB 3.0 port ? Did you install usb 3.0 drivers ?
Are you copying a large single file only ?
You are using which OS ?
Exact model of the HDD ?
Did you try disabling any background process like AV scan ?

i recently got a WD 1tb hdd. the transfer rates are ridiculously slow. when i copy paste a file the transfer rate starts from 160mbps and then gradually drops to 30-40mbps... this happens with both large and small files. any help would be appreciated.

Same happens with my dad's WD Passport 500GB, actually sometimes.....but usually I get ~70MBps

@OP; that speed in in MBps and not in mbps (B and b are completely different units) :twisted:

Which port (usb 2.0 or 3.0) port are you using? Have you installed the drivers? use some benchmarking tool like HDtune to measure the device's speed.

ratul

█████████████████
i have WD Elements 1TB with me, and i've been getting 45-55MB since i purchased it.. :(
Though on linux, copy speeds of 65MB were achievable and constant, don't know what's wrong in windows, except for the fact that win8 inbuilt USB3.0 drivers by M$ completely sucks, and haven't found any intel alternatives for win8 (anybody having one??).. :cry:
Also copy speeds depends on the file being copied, coz once i was getting copy speeds of 15-16MBps while copying a VMware Vdisk file and i thought what's wrong, so i cancelled it and tried to copy a movie, was getting 53MBps there, i cancelled it and again tried that VMware Vdisk, it completed on average of 23MBps.. :(

OP
samudragupta

samudragupta

Youngling
your laptop has USB 3.0 port ? yes 2 usb 3.0 ports
Did you install usb 3.0 drivers ? i suppose yes... how do i know this?
Are you copying a large single file only ? i have tried a single file like 1gb and i get speeds of upto 110, however large files like 50gb and above speeds reduce
You are using which OS ? windows 7
Exact model of the HDD ? internal is toshiba MK7559GSXP & WD my passport
Did you try disabling any background process like AV scan ? yes i dont have any antivirus at the moment

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
internal is toshiba MK7559GSXP
this is your source of problem.it is a 5400rpm drive so it is slower than usual 7200rpm desktop drives.when transferring files max transfer rate is equal to the transfer rate of the slowest device in the chain(in your case toshiba---usb3---WD my passport,it is toshiba).

@ratul,file transfer speed does not depend on file type assuming no AV is scanning that file type.in your case you most probably created VMWare disk with option "allocate all disk space at once" disabled or your file was too fragmented(which will happen if you do not fix the size of your vmware disk before creating & allocate space all at once).

ratul

█████████████████
@ratul,file transfer speed does not depend on file type assuming no AV is scanning that file type.in your case you most probably created VMWare disk with option "allocate all disk space at once" disabled or your file was too fragmented(which will happen if you do not fix the size of your vmware disk before creating & allocate space all at once).

i don't know what causes this, the size of the VMware machine was dynamic, split to multiple files and totalling ~17GB, all my VMachines are in G:\, which is always defragmented (i defrag whole hdd once a month), though the external HDD isn't defraged...
Same happens while transferring some game files like .bik or .pak or .iso files, in short any sort of file having large volumes of packed data inside them are transferred slower (though rar, zip or 7z files remains unaffected.. :confused:)..
To confirm this, i again ran these tests just now, disabling AV, internal HDD defraged while external not, and here are the results:

ISO File:

*i.imgur.com/tuS2K5P.jpg

Video File:

*i.imgur.com/SBY0zNz.jpg

Can you explain this now?? coz i still isn't able to figure out actually what's doing this.. :confused:

OP
samudragupta

samudragupta

Youngling
this is your source of problem.it is a 5400rpm drive so it is slower than usual 7200rpm desktop drives.when transferring files max transfer rate is equal to the transfer rate of the slowest device in the chain(in your case toshiba---usb3---WD my passport,it is toshiba).

Thanks for the clarification bro

Top Bottom