Here is the configuration of bro's PC:

Pentium 2,4GHz
512MB RAM
80GB Seagate HDD
inbuit intel gfx card

Partition
15GB root
1.4GB swap

Dunno but Gnome is darth slow at times, but xfce is much faster and responsive.

I installed Debian Lenny netinst and then installed core components.

PS:My rig (C2D, 1GB RAM) is fast with gnome and kde(though not installed now). I just dont want to let my bro resort to windows (he is using linux for learning commands and scripts, i want him to make it his primary OS)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
GNOME is the most bloated DE on linux there is today. But, there are some tricks around which help in reducing that. Just look around the forum they've been put up in the past.

praka123

left this forum longback
disabling IPV6 and checking ur /etc/hosts file may help.

@mehulbed:like it or not,ppl tend to prefer fully grown DEs like Gnome or kde :lol:

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I diabled some terminals and disaled ipv6 (btw what ipv6 has to do with slowness of nautilus ?)

now it seem to be better than before, yet to optimize some other features.

thnx for help

One more thing how can i dowload firefox, there is iceweasel (ff rip off), but the latest version in lenny repository is 2.0.0.6 and not the 2.0.0.13.

it seems the versions in sid repository are older than hardy repository ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
GNOME is the most bloated DE on linux there is today. But, there are some tricks around which help in reducing that. Just look around the forum they've been put up in the past.
Agree 100%. GNOME's internal orgainisation looks as if its been stitched in a hurry! KDE is much better, internally.

@T159
Disable the Deskbar applet from the gnome panel. Also disable these by going to System > Preferences > Sessions:

1) BT Manager
2) Evolution notifiers
3) Tracker (biggest resource hog!)
4) Print queue (if you don't use printer).

Its surprising that each applet on the gnome panel uses an average of 3.5MB! Thats truly pathetic. Cut down the panel applets.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^there is only one entry in STARTUP
Visual - Autostart the preferred AT

and in CURRENT SESSION
gnome-session-properties
gnome-panel
metacity
nautilus
gnome-at-visual -s

Though removed some extra applets (trash, log off, reduced no of windows in system monitor)

Now its faster and acceptable.

I really dont want kde (installed it in every distro i used but later uninstalled it). Its just not appealing to me, i like simplicity + beauty

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Look at my desktop's resource usage.... thats GNOME!!!!

*img382.imageshack.us/img382/7582/screenshotey4.th.png

nautilus: 72mb and not a single window open.. does it take that much to draw the desktop??!!! (no, i'm not using any screenlets or wallpaper clock, its a simple 200kb jpg wallpaper with 4 shortcuts on the desktop).
compiz: 36mb!! least plugins loaded...
gnome panel: 20mb!!!!!! beat that!!
metacity: 10mb
each applet on the panel: average 2.5mb - this is in addition to the 20mb!!! OMFG!!

Each version of GNOME is becoming bloated day by day... guess its time for me to look for an alternative.. but I love my Mac4Lin :D

mediator

Technomancer
*img502.imageshack.us/img502/3056/screenshot1op3.th.png

*img259.imageshack.us/img259/9979/screenshot2tj0.th.png

*img259.imageshack.us/img259/6676/screenshot3ua6.th.png

14 firefox tabs open, most of the compiz plugins loaded, 2 nautilus instances, audacious with 'preload' running in the background = 376 MB RAM utilization??

I don't even feel if gnome is bloated at all! Even on my old machines with 512 MB RAM it opens with a breeze.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Your screenshots confirm everything that I said except that nautilus usage is low :)

@mehulved
I've gone nuts finding people who'd help me make Kmac4Lin!!!

mediator

Technomancer
IRD's machine said:
nautilus: 72mb and not a single window open.. does it take that much to draw the desktop??!!! (no, i'm not using any screenlets or wallpaper clock, its a simple 200kb jpg wallpaper with 4 shortcuts on the desktop).
compiz: 36mb!! least plugins loaded...
gnome panel: 20mb!!!!!! beat that!!
metacity: 10mb
each applet on the panel: average 2.5mb - this is in addition to the 20mb!!! OMFG!!

my machine said:
nautilus = 19.1 MB, 2 windows open, wallpaper size =450 KB
compiz = 20.6 MB, most plugins loaded
gnome-panel = 5.7 MB
only applets come close
It doesn't confirm much! I wonder if distros plays any significant part. :D

praka123

left this forum longback
jfyi kde is buggy and a himalayan bloat!
kdemod-ok.but still hell lot of options.what am I gonna do with that?I am not a geek like Linus to set and tinker every settings :)

Gnome is easy,simple and less buggy compared to total kde.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
It doesn't confirm much! I wonder if distros plays any significant part. :D
Yep, valid point! I guess Distro ka bahut bada haath hai! :D

Just tried switching from Nautilus to Thunar and I can feel the difference rite away! Only thing is drawing desktop is a problem...

KDE 3.5 (or for that matter, every DE/WM!!) runs much smoother on my system than gnome.. i'm surprised!

praka123

left this forum longback
...and when I tried Foresight Linux(uptodate Gnome-2.22) it is pretty fast :?

(have to merge Gnome for gentoo tonight)

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
^^^but in the arch linux forums there are many posts about gnome 2.22 annoyances and bugs.

it is still in the arch testing repo.Gnome 2.22 is still not moved to extra repo.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
...and when I tried Foresight Linux(uptodate Gnome-2.22) it is pretty fast :?

(have to merge Gnome for gentoo tonight)
try to open drives when u r transfering data to pen drive.

try to open a folder in which download is going on.

Its not always but when it does, it shoots to high cpu usage:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom