SIGNATURE ACOUSTICS C-12 Elements Wooden IEMs review/impressions

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Just recieved my C12.
Initial impressions are very good. In fact its so good that I might as well get my biggest gripe at the moment be known - the process of changing the buds is pretty edgy , the wooden build surely doesnt help here.

If I had to describe the IEM in one word, it'd be : Excitement.
More coming once I get some proper time with it.

ATM, they are hands down better than my PL50s and look to be better than the E10s as well. Definitely a brighter high end than the E10s and not as powerful down the frequency spectrum, but that isnt necessarily a bad thing even if your a bass-head :)

Thanks @SignatureAcoustics for the coupon. Also, the brass box looks kick-ass - like a landmine survivor straight from world war 2 :D

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
^ it may vary from person to person... i find the bass spot on, not heavy, not light, but just at the sweet spot.

PS: you are right about the brass case ;)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^ it may vary from person to person... i find the bass spot on, not heavy, not light, but just at the sweet spot.

PS: you are right about the brass case ;)

I didnt mean that the bass is bad. I meant that it was weaker in that department as compared to my E10.

I have been noticing something. The C12 has got a sinature thats rather hard to describe. There's bass, there's a sparkly high end, and a normal mid... Its just so different from any of the others I have owned and I cant quite put it in a hierarchy. Its definitely better than my PL50 (which is just too refined and smooth for my liking) and brighter than the E10 (almost makes the E10 sound like a slowpoke not fully out of bed). I guess I need more time to get to any kind of solid opinion. But, from what I have seen so far, I am impressed (and that brass case helps a lot to that end).

@Desmond: I hardly have any tips that I use except the small size ones. How does the VSonic compare to say the E10 or some other IEM in your opinion ?

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Consider them as the perks of being one of the first customers and for trusting the brand.

Links have been fixed now .

:) thanks

I didnt mean that the bass is bad. I meant that it was weaker in that department as compared to my E10.

I have been noticing something. The C12 has got a sinature thats rather hard to describe. There's bass, there's a sparkly high end, and a normal mid... Its just so different from any of the others I have owned and I cant quite put it in a hierarchy. Its definitely better than my PL50 (which is just too refined and smooth for my liking) and brighter than the E10 (almost makes the E10 sound like a slowpoke not fully out of bed). I guess I need more time to get to any kind of solid opinion. But, from what I have seen so far, I am impressed (and that brass case helps a lot to that end).

@Desmond: I hardly have any tips that I use except the small size ones. How does the VSonic compare to say the E10 or some other IEM in your opinion ?

lol i didnt say you said the bass was bad.. :D

i just think the sound is damn well balanced. i listen to a LOT [seriously a LOT] of heavy metal and Orchestra, and they are just mindblowing. each layer of the music can be felt. each instrument, each note, clear, pristine. im proud i took the decision to get the C-12s.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I wonder how the frequency response looks like. I am guessing a few spike towards the highs...
I wouldnt call it balanced, its too bright to say that. But in sound being balanced can be a bad thing, so that statement doent mean much :D

This is from a short experience, a bright sounding IEM that has got a nice bass too. But considering how difficult that can be to pull off, quite an achievement for any company. Just the fact that I am trying to compare this with my SR60i is proof enough of talent. I'd go so far as to say that the E10 and the C12 approach the Grado from opposite sides. Which one sounds better would depend largely on personal taste. the E10 is bassy, but a bit uncontrolled at that. The C12 on the other end are bright and sparkly with a punchy-taut bass. I'd, at the moment, put the C12 over the the E10 and hopefully as the diaphragm loosens up the brightness will subdue a tiny bit. That'd be great and make for a completely no-brainer recommendation.

And that case :wub:

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

The bass sounds slightly more better, but I used those buds mainly to get a better fit not for the sound.

Consider them as the perks of being one of the first customers and for trusting the brand.

Links have been fixed now .

So proud to hear that :p

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
@SignatureAcoustics: I have a rather odd query. In order to make the IEM's more resistant to any accidental damage, I use super-glue to stick the wire to the the small tubing that encapsulates the cable as it exits the IEM's casing with every IEM I have ever owned. I have never had any issues except one time when I accidentally dropped a bit too much glue and blocked the sheath from letting any air out (the cable was glued to the sheath/tubing all around, making it air tight) and causing the diaphragm to have a flexing sound whenever i inserted it into my ear.

My query is, would this invalidate my warranty ?

I am going to make this little mod anyways since I am comfortable doing it and it has helped me more times than I care to remember. Just thought it'd be nice to know the official take on this matter.

BTW, really like the C12 so far :)

OP
5fusion

5fusion

Journeyman
hey everyone, sorry cudnt catch up with the thread. have not been active for sometime and somehow, the thread got overlooked:-(.

@SinatureAcoustics
the new cases look as premium as the previous, now "limited edition" brass case. lots of shades and textures to choose from:cool:. would sure pick up a pair sometime soon. again.. great work guys and would like to congratulate you guys for the C-12 international release. good to see the nice-positive views by "ljokerl" on headfi:)

will update with few more pics once i have the new case and a small edit in writeup as my c12 has put up around 9 months and now proving on time.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Great Review on HeadFi by ljokerl!!

(3A82) Signature Acoustics Elements C-12

Added Aug 2013

Details: Entry-level earphone from the first Indian IEM manufacturer
Current Price: est. $50 from ebay.com (MSRP: est. $60)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 18Ω | Sens: 102 dB | Freq: 17-20k Hz | Cable: 3.9' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Generic single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), replacement filters, shirt clip, and genuine leather zippered carrying pouch (limited first run also comes with heavy screw-top brass case)
Build Quality (4/5) – The wooden housings of the C-12 are a little plain but well put-together. The earphones feature replaceable filters, which is a rarity these days. The textured cable is nice and sturdy, reminding me of the cords on the Brainwavz M1/M2/M3 earphones. No cable cinch is present
Isolation (3/5) – Shallow fit results in average noise isolation
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Good with cable-down wear; even better when worn over-the-ear
Comfort (4/5) – The wooden housings are very lightweight and not overly large, allowing for a comfortable fit

Sound (7.3/10) – The C-12 is an unabashedly bass-heavy earphone that focuses on presenting listeners with a big and impactful low end. The midbass region is hyped up, resulting in a slightly boomy sound and making the deep bass appear less prominent. Earphones such as the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition and Dunu Trident, which are by no means lacking in bass, both yield to the C-12 in overall impact, offering a more linear response better balanced between midbass and subbass. Suffice it to say that no one will find the bass of the C-12 deficient.

As a result of the bass boost, the mids of the C-12 are mildly veiled but at the same time maintain a warm and rich tone. Note thickness is rather good, though for my tastes the earphones could use more midrange presence and clarity. Clarity and detail levels are about on-par with the Brainwavz M2 and the older bass-heavy Xears models. The top end rolls off gently for a slightly dark overall tone and has a smoother character than, for example, VSonic earphones and the Astrotec AM-800. This makes it less fatiguing and more tolerable at high volumes. At the same time, the C-12 has a bit more sparkle than the aging Brainwavz M1 and M2 models, which is a plus.

The presentation of the C-12 is nice and spacious, making competitors such as the Dunu Trident sound closed-in and congested in comparison. It’s not quite at the level of the pricier Astrotec AM-800 but comes very close, which is all the more impressive considering the more bass-heavy balance and darker tone of the C-12. Combined with the powerful bass, the spacious presentation makes for a very enjoyable listening experience.

Value (8/10) – The Signature Acoustics Elements C-12 is a very capable earphone from the first India-based IEM manufacturer. A solid all-rounder with even more solid bass response, the Elements C-12 boasts slightly rolled-off treble and a spacious, reverberant presentation. The wooden housings are lightweight and comfortable in the ear while the twisted cables are strong and non-microphonic, making for convenient listening while out and about. Minor details such as packaging are slightly rough around the edges but one thing is certain: the Elements C-12 doesn’t look – or sound – like a freshman effort.

Pros: Lightweight housings & strong cables; impactful bass; good sense of space
Cons: Somewhat veiled midrange

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Would be nice if you could share some pictures to explain it better ? Usually any physical modifications to the earphone voids the warranty .

ATTACH]

Would be nice if you could share some pictures to explain it better ? Usually any physical modifications to the earphone voids the warranty .

View attachment 12025

That drop of super glue is near impossible to see. Told you I was a pro at this trick :p

Btw, that reminds me, there is no way right now to easily distinguish the left one from the right - I have resorted to using a whitener. Its a definite area of improvment for your next IEM (judging by my experience so far with the C-12, I'll be buying that one :))

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
That drop of super glue is near impossible to see. Told you I was a pro at this trick :p

Btw, that reminds me, there is no way right now to easily distinguish the left one from the right - I have resorted to using a whitener. Its a definite area of improvment for your next IEM (judging by my experience so far with the C-12, I'll be buying that one :))

there is a stamp for L and R on the back of the black part!!!

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Am I to squint for that every single time like I was looking for gold? :D
TBH, in the general use cases the IEM is picked up from atleast a couple of feet away and I dont have the patience to squint every single time to find which is which - hence a drop of white ink to help.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
They should put colour on iems like in E30.Red for right ear..no confusion and saves time in looking at small L and R's.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
They should put colour on iems like in E30.Red for right ear..no confusion and saves time in looking at small L and R's.

Precisely. My E10, PL50 (you cant quite mis-wear them :D) have it. The SR60 has HUGE letters devoted to this very purpose. Even those philips buds from my childhood have it. It may not be a big issue for a lot of people, but let me tell you - when you listen to some songs that you know have a very lopsided stereo presentation (Like Vittorio E by Spoon) you kind of hate it when you mis-wear your earphones.

@SignatureAcoustics:
I have a couple of suggestions if you dont mind :)

1) Color coding the left and right earpieces

2) There is something not quite right with the comfort levels that I cant quite point out. I have tried atleast three tips already (including the smallest size that comes with the E10, which is my personal favourite outside of the super-comfy foams of the PL50) And I always get a funny feeling that one ear is bit too tight or too loosely fitting. Apologies for putting it in this very vague fashion. It might well be a pesonal thing, but I am yet to notice it in the others :>

3) Foam tips as an option (Hell, I`ll pay another 200 rupees extra for that)

4) If possible, a slightly smaller body too.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have one concern with my C12. The brass case cover is somewhat darker as compared to the ones that I see in the pics, like it is underpolished or something. Is it possible to polish it myself or is it permanently like that? I would actually like it to be as brilliantly polished as shown in the pics.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I have one concern with my C12. The brass case cover is somewhat darker as compared to the ones that I see in the pics, like it is underpolished or something. Is it possible to polish it myself or is it permanently like that? I would actually like it to be as brilliantly polished as shown in the pics.

Even mine is the same. Brass loses sheen over time due to oxidation. There are foul smelling liquid cleaners available in the market that you can use to get the sheen back. I prefer the antique looks :)

Top Bottom