Shud I learn Linux ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Now I am a good and u can call me a rather Super User of Windows (coz basically I have finished my MCSE 2003 :D) So where was I, yes, I have tried my hand at Linux a lots of times. Had installed RH Fedora 1, then SuSe 9.1, currently I have Slackware 10.1 on my hdd and believe me tho I have installed it and set it up with all the things I wanted i.e. it boots up to a graphical login rather than the text one, but still I dont use it anymore.

I have got somewhat of a good idea of the Linux systewm tho everytime I use it, it manages to turn me off. Like the other day I wanted to install VLC, I tried and then the dependencies list was like wow. I felt like a lil boy tapping on some video game not understanding what to do. Man I was literally pi$$ed off.

I then put it all back and then started dl 1 by 1 the dependencies packages and midst of the list some of the packages were missin. This was enough to pi$$ me off. Since then I have stopped using linux.

Now that I have finished my MCSE and have attended an interview and overheard some ppl I thought that MCSE (and CCNA) might not get me a good job after all (tho I have some hopes on CCNA) Coz today is the day of good pays and all man I cant live on a meagre salary of 7.5 tho am living with my parents.

So am just asking you ppl out wether shud I get into these certification classes or just stay at home and study pls dont give ur cases just gimme suggestions. Thanks in advance.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Frankly speaking if windows is ur strong point stick to it. For linux you will have to do some unlearning. There are things that are very specific and you have to get used to and one of them is finding dependancies for whatever software you want to install.
If you still like to go with linux and want to avoid solving depenancy problems try a debian based distro. apt-get is a very powerful package management system. It will solve dependancies on it's own but you will need to download dependancies from the net.
No use just getting a certification of linux if you aren't really interested in it.
Well that's just my opinion I am offering may not go with everyone.
If you'd like give some debian distro a try, preferably ubuntu, which is a very polished distro and gained a lot of reputation amongst OSS community.

OP
djmykey

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Thanks tech_your_future for the suggestion. (Not using the smiles coz they succ) So u think that if am just intrested in the system thing then I have to just try my hand at it and if I get serious then I must hust give the exams and get the certification rite. Anyways thanks man once again. My friend has ordered the Ubuntu cds (some 30 of them) so I will collect 1 from him ok and will try it out and tell u abt it. And what if we have to install servers and host some DNA or routing servers then which is good pls do tell me. Thanks again man.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Ubuntu have come out with a server version too, check out their site. It might interest you. Whether to go for certification depends on whether working with a linux or for that matter any *nix machine will interest you. But, it will still be better if someone who has taken a certification gives his/her opinion. I haven't much idea of how these certifications are and how much are they really worth.

vinayasurya

Journeyman
I think u should learn Linux. Linux gives you more ideas regarding operating systems as a whole, especially with server and networking level. As you have MCSE and CCNA it will easy to learn. You know how to work on linux just only some sorting and rearrangement is needed. I have MCP and i am now preparing for RHCE and this preparation really changed the way i look at various OSes, their networking features, comparisons which is best for whom like ways. Knowing two OSes is always an advantage i think. I like to see some professional comments on your question from some who is working now..

tuxfan

Technomancer
Knowledge is power! Linux is an upcoming thing (still!! Especially in desktops/laptops). You must learn it.

It is taking over the server arena like wild fire. If you are a pro at it and learn server management, people even pay $100 per hour for server troubleshooting/maintenance. You must learn it. :)

Don't ignore it. Hon your skills further. Join the bandwagon :D

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Hey! Please find me some person who's willing to pay me even $50 per hour! :p Hehe.. (Not that im saying people dont pay such ammount :p )

mihirvashist

Journeyman
well i think you should learn linux even if you plan to stick to windows,it will be an add-on to your qualification,
and besides what's the harm

OP
djmykey

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Woohoo seeing the enthusiasm and my condition that I cant understand anything abt linux I think I am gonna start learning the Linux thingy and will try it out with Ubuntu. So going to friends house tommorrow to get the Ubuntu cd and will do R&D and learn it also so thanks all you guys for your replies and support.

Satissh S

Youngling
What is there to learn in linux?? USING some soure based distro (esp. Slakware or Gentoo)is enough to stand you in good stead. I suggest u take a look at crux, a learner's distribution and use it.

Just by using the above u'll get the knowledge u may aquire by reading books. GNU/Linux is not a technology to learn, its a phenomenon to live with.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Satissh S said:
GNU/Linux is not a technology to learn, its a phenomenon to live with.
very well said mate.

@dimkey
for ubuntu try ubuntu guide(*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper)

tuxfan

Technomancer
kalpik said:
^^ Hey! Please find me some person who's willing to pay me even $50 per hour! :p Hehe.. (Not that im saying people dont pay such ammount :p )

Do one thing, get a domain, start a web-site and tell the world what you can do! Get hold of a few clients first at a cheap rate, prove yourself and then you can slowly demand more and more ;)

But you are reluctant to spend for a domain even if you have friends offerring you free hosting :D How do people know you can troubleshoot a web-server when you don't even have a web-site of your own?

tuxfan

Technomancer
I strongly feel about what I told you kalpik. You already saw what you missed out by a 2-3 days!! Don't miss out on anything further. Grab one of your choice quickly ;)

Change that TODO: to TO IMMEDIATELY DO: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom