should I sign 'Bond' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkin

Back to school!!
Yes as I said, generally Big Firms asks for Bonds to freshers. and the reason is already mentioned by RCuber.

As per asingh and others siggested, I'd personally suggest you to stay away from all these. At times they can become worse.

Join from SOHO / SME's to gain experience. Generally you'd learn better in SME's than these Big Firms.

But at the End of the Day, it's totally upto you. Though the 6month bond looks fine to me. As anyone would spend 1 year anyways in a company. But never think of handing over your originals.

But as asingh said, these are cheap policies companies do for hiring freshers, so that you don't leave right then after learning :p

PS : Keep away TCS from that list, they don't practise these type of bond policies, at least not here in Kolkata, for freshers too.
TCS demands 50k for 2yrs, very bad policy, 1yr was ok, but 2yrs too much, this is from my offer letter which are same for every freshers everywhere in TCS.
*i.imgur.com/3yOK6.jpg

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
If I'm allowed to say....all leading companies ask for bond for freshers. Its not applicable if you are an experienced person.

Just to name,
TCS
CTS
Infosys
Rolta (4yrs bond!!!!)
L&T
Patni
Mahindra Satyam
Wipro

well my friends in cts dont have bond.Well it all depends on offer letter not company.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
you should work in a company to gain first hand experience on how to deal with clients, understand their requirement and estimate the effort. Freelancing is good as you want to work on your own. but you need to consider the following.

you need to convince the client that you are capable of doing the work - best way would be to show case your work in your website / portfolio.

you should be able to convince about the fee you are quoting for the client. you should not settle for a lower fee just because you want to work/earn money. you need to set your standards first, justify your commitment you show towards the project and also the support you will be giving post deployment. with these points you should be able to convince a potential client to hire you.

you can master the above points only through experience. the best way to get experience is to work under a experienced person.

I would recommend you to join a company for 1-2 yrs, create a online portfolio and work on that side by side. also create free simple templates and put those up in popular template sites. once the general public start using your templates and you start getting popular you can start build very professional sites and start charging it. Also learn about various CMS available in the market, this will add weight to your portfolio.

hope this helps.

yes I got same advice from others, to take a job for a year or so.. I am already working on my portfolio. bought domain and hosting .. still under construction.. sharing template on sites is new info for me .. will sure gonna do that any recommended sites. ..yes I know cms are very important so already started learning that.. done how to implement wordpress.. only one important thing remains is theme integration in wordpress. and then will start on joomla.. am also working and then interviews, portfolio,learning new things, best practices so every thing is together so it is going very slow..

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
yes I got same advice from others, to take a job for a year or so.. I am already working on my portfolio. bought domain and hosting .. still under construction.. sharing template on sites is new info for me .. will sure gonna do that any recommended sites. ..yes I know cms are very important so already started learning that.. done how to implement wordpress.. only one important thing remains is theme integration in wordpress. and then will start on joomla.. am also working and then interviews, portfolio,learning new things, best practices so every thing is together so it is going very slow..

you have done your homework :)

I need to check on template sharing sites.. cant do it right now :s

D

Deleted member 26636

Don't ever join any company that asks you to sign some stupid bond. I worked on some freelance projects from 2010 to 2011 and then joined my first job from April 2011. They still considered me as a fresher since I did not have any office experience but I never signed any sort of bond. I got that job based on my freelance portfolio only. But I left the job after 8 months as I felt I was not gaining much in terms of knowledge & experience. Then I worked as a freelance artist again for 3 months before joining my current office on May this year. I haven't signed any bonds here either. My previous experiences have been enough. I don't plan to work here any longer than another 3 months (6 months total)), since I am working on some stuff that will help me start off something of my own. So if you want to keep your freedom, search for another job.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
If I'm allowed to say....all leading companies ask for bond for freshers. Its not applicable if you are an experienced person.

Just to name,
TCS
CTS
Infosys
Rolta (4yrs bond!!!!)
L&T
Patni
Mahindra Satyam
Wipro

TCS doesn't have mandatory bond.
CTS doesn't have bond <and I'm going to misuse that.. :p >
Infosys does have at least 1 year working bond. If anyone leaves, he/she need to work one month for free to get noc. But who cares?

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
you have done your homework :)

I need to check on template sharing sites.. cant do it right now :s

I think so.. but always ready to listen.. will be waiting for any recommended sites when ever you get time please share..

Thanks guys for all your input.. I have decides not to sign any bond so will see what companies have to say else nada.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I think so.. but always ready to listen.. will be waiting for any recommended sites when ever you get time please share..
check monstertemplates and other similar sites. you need do a little bit of research on these different sites, there should be sites which would allow users to upload and price their work. if not then a bunch of digit guys can create one :) .. I can sponsor :)

Thanks guys for all your input.. I have decides not to sign any bond so will see what companies have to say else nada.

when denying a offer, carefully chose how you put your reply to them.. when you walk out of the room they should still be considering to hire you without a bond.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Simple no no to bond, especially if it involves depositing certificates or "depositing" money.

Bonds should be made illegal if you ask me. Until and unless it works both ways and has clear up front job description.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
^^ nope already cleared that it is just one way only to bound employees, employers are free to let you go anytime.

shashankm

I reign hell..
Screw the second company, negotiate for the amount with first one, try to bring it around your monthly in hand! As far as bond amount goes, many companies even provide bond buyouts given the talent you've. So I think you can go with the first one!
Thumbrule: Never ever give your originals even to God! giving your originals ensures a foolproof chance of company making you their puppet and naturally you can't do much about it as you've legally accepted it. Even if you decide to leave them, they'll harass you by retaining the certificates, not relieving you on time et al. Not recommended at all!
Bonds are good for places where you are sure that you'll stay for long and can learn very much otherwise tell them to....!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So signing a bond is ok if they are not keeping the originals or taking some amount as security? In which case they have the right to retain the salary of last month? Or request from us to pay the penalty amount?
And do the bond of this nature even exist?

I am asking since during some recent interviews I had shown "no problem" response when asked about if I am willing to sign a bond. Does it mean, that I will have to choose from depositing some money and/or submit original documents at the time of joining? :confused:

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
yes I guess so.. as I asked them, bond itself is a legal document then why do you need security deposit or original certificates. their reply was bond is nothing legal we can't take any legal action against it as it has nothing written like that in it.. so we take this deposit..

Saloni

Right off the assembly line
First of all just try to get all important information about those companies. Regarding Bond, I think you should go with 6 months bond with 20k deposit as within short period of time you will be free from Bond and could try for another company if you want. On the other hand if you will go for 2nd offer that is for 2 yrs bond you will have to wait for 2yrs to get back your original certificate. From my point of view you should never handover your original certificate to anyone for such a long time. Rest is your decision.

aniket.cain

Padawan
Well, I work for iGate-Patni Computer Systems, and we do have a bond here for the freshers. I had to pay 75k upfront, which would be paid back on completion of 2 years. However, the bond is in the form of FD, and is in my own Salary account, in my name. And I will get the interest on it too (in fact it shows the maturity date and amount too in my salary account).

Though in most of the companies (e.g. TCS) you dont have to pay upfront, but you are required to pay the bond amount if you leave within the limited bond time.

However when it comes to certificates, one should not deposit it to any company, as this is what one has really earned throughout his life so far. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom