Youngling
Capture.PNG
@mod -sry 4 highjacking

@d6bmg i to checked my H.D.D with that tool and
Current Pending Sector count is 100/100/0
Uncorrectable Sector Count is 100/100/0
UDMA CRC Error 200/200/0

but Health is showing Good - Checked my all 3 H.D.D currently connected

so how did u find out his H.D.D is failing (i previously also had trouble figuring out SMART values
Current =Current/Present value
WORST = Bad Value , in mine and his SS , Current and Worst values are same

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/hardware-q/8358d1357672032-should-i-rma-capture.png

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
raw values means no. of times.it is from this value that current,worst & threshold values are calculated.current pending sector count raw value means no. of sectors on hdd which can not be read by hdd.every hdd has some extra sectors & in case of corruption of some sectors hdd remap those bad sectors to new extra ones but only upto a limit.usually 1 or 2 pending sectors are not a big deal but if this value keeps increasing then it is a warning sign that hdd is failing.you can check this by copying data(multiple files at once)into the problem hdd & if after copying & restarting/reconnecting hdd shows same no. of pending sector & remains so for a next couple of days then most likely your hdd will work fine.

Naxal

Little Kid
Well it seems mine is going down as well :hammer:

*i45.tinypic.com/2l9gz0z.jpg

This is from a HDD at office, some time PC fails to start, then we have to open the side panel and shake the HDD well before running. Its running like this for last year or so :p

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
so how did u find out his H.D.D is failing (i previously also had trouble figuring out SMART values

C5 & C3 warning/error means, HDD is in the first phase of failing. Early, but RMA should be the best option.
Easiest way o go is to install, HDDtune or crystaldiskinfo, and search for warning message.
1,3,5,7, 0A, C5, C6. If there is any warning message, then its time to RMA the HDD just to be safe.

P.S. your HDD is ok.

Naxal

Little Kid
Just keep backing up critical data.

I try. But when it becomes a routine, so many times at late hours in a hurry to close things, daily backup doesn't happen for many newly created files :p

disaster waiting to happen I guess :unsure:

^^if your hdd is running for months with these values of 8 then you have got one tough hdd & i suggest to keep it.

Its running for last year or so. But some time, in morning, it refuse to boot, HDD is not detected in BIOS :p, then we have to open the side panel and give the HDD a good shake. Magically it comes to alive and gets detected, runs whole day without issue :p, but in the morning, same issue :p

Shaking it before use seems to have become a regular duty for us :D

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for seagate hdd run their own diagnostic software(seatools i think) & if your hdd fails any test of their software then RMA is guaranteed.

OP
bajaj151
Tried Seatools...Long Generic Test failed...

I erased HDD using File Shredder...
Now, the health status changed form Caution to Good

*img339.imageshack.us/img339/4898/77791692.jpg

What does this mean?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was expecting this.8 pending sectors are just too less.every hdd has some extra sectors & when some sectors are corrupted it remaps them to new sectors.sometimes it is also just a matter of resetting the pending sector by means of a low level format.in both cases after the successful operation of remapping/resetting pending sectors the raw values of these attributes will reset to zero.just keep an eye on these values & if their raw values remain zero for next 10-12 days when normally using your hdd then your hdd is going to be fine.

Top Bottom