Should I Install Fedora ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Guyz, there is a copy of Fedora 7 lying for many months on my DVD.

I want to know if it has a GUI like windows:) or do I have to type in commands in the command lines :redface:

Also, do you recommend me any beter LINUX than Fedora ?

praka123

left this forum longback
who said you have to install on hdd to try it? :? you can use it in live-cd mode.make in bios cd/dvd drive as first pritority.boot on :)
BTW if u dont like below site,dont browse into it to waste time.
*getgnulinux.org

and Ubuntu too is a good distro to try with.I think you know all these things already :D (from ur looks!)

OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
^ Praka, thanks for the reply and that Live CD tip :)
btw I knew Ubuntu, but not that its a good distro :D

Thank you!

praka123

left this forum longback
u like windows like?try kde distro= kubuntu.com or opensuse kde.

while Ubuntu uses Gnome.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@prakash fedora 7 DVD includes a Live edition also? :shock:

neway .. rebooting and checking ;)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
damn.. :mad: there is no option to boot into live. anaconda installer or textmode thats it no live section option.. I checked July DVD.

@rohan.. wake up dude.. all linux flavors are fully "windows" like and you have a choise to chose the window manager.. KDE , Gnome , fluxbox .. I have been checking linux distros for many months now and havent even used 25 lines of commands till date .. and my current crush is Sabayon ;) .. I havent even opened a terminal window till now on that :p .. fully slick.. 8) .. BTW you must try sabayon CD or DVD both can be run in live sections and you get full compiz-fuzion :twisted: (if your hardware supports that is :p)

OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Charan bhai, Thanks for the info.

I was just going through the installation guide and it said that my harddisk will formatted, so all my data will be erased. Is it possible to avoid erasing of that data?

and what does a Live CD/DVD mean? Does it mean that I can try it without installing it to my harddrive,formatting and erasing my current data?

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
linux needs a ~4-5GB partn+500MB swap partition.u can resize ur current windows partition to make free space. gparted livecd can do this for u :)

OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Praka, space is not a problem....there is enough space but formatting it is a big problem because all my data is like my children to me:oops:

praka123

left this forum longback
the linux distros comes the same way as u install windows.linux distros got partition manager,where u can possibly resize current partition or make new logical partitions for "/"(install partn) and swap.I said logical partitions bcoz u may be using windows which will be in primary partition and all of ur other partns are logical?still u can install linux on primary partn too.but bsds or other unix'es will not detect logical partitions.
get a hand on with google regarding installation.for ubuntu: *ubuntugeek.com is a nice site.

bluepearl

troubleshooter
A good discussion on trying Linux Distros going on here
I would like to suggest something
Install VirtualBox on your Windows machine
And try any Distro u would like to test on it
No need to worry about formatting yur disk
It doesnt make a single change to your windows data
You can boot from CDs right from running Windows
Plus virtual box is free !!

praka123

left this forum longback
Akshay said:
@praka

Is there a way to make the Fedora 7 DVD into a live dvd?
livedvd? :( it may be possible.but beyond my knowledge.but there are fedora-gnome,xfce or kde livecds available for download rather than d/ling dvd.

OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Finally, I am downloading OpenSUSE KDE tonight on my 256 kbps connection :). Till, yesterday, had that crap sify 64 kbps connection.

Thanks Praka for the help. :)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
rohan_shenoy said:
Praka, space is not a problem....there is enough space but formatting it is a big problem because all my data is like my children to me:oops:

I hope you have backed up your children, its a good idea to do so :)

OP
victor_rambo

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
no, I am using Live CD. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif

Do I still need to backup?

And yes, I am having some problems with getting the Live CD to work. Can you please help me out at *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=692499#post692499

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
In case of a Live CD which you are using to see a "Demo" of the real thing then no backup is required as it doesnt even touch your HDD. Its all Ram and DVD Rom :D

But if you want to Press the lovely "Install" thing I reccommend backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom