Should I go woith Dell or Mac ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

avi1708

Oxygen !!
this is urgent. i had my mind set on the inspiron 1420 when a apple dealer showed me the macbook(same range). he says its loads better on every front, etc etc. all of which i knew. but then he said that although mac uses intel gma its custom built and can easily take on geforce 8400gs. i am not convinced although i think it looked pretty powerful (i didnt try any games) . can anyone help me on this ? im totally confused! i wanna be sure its as good as a geforce when it comes to games, if im gonna buy it. please comment, & on the facts, not on ur preferences.

ps. i was quoted rs.44-45k for dell & 46K+tax 4 mac
pps. when say same range i mean the same price range ie. rs.45-48k

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
this is urgent. i had my mind set on the inspiron 1420 when a apple dealer showed me the macbook(same range)

No not true...

Dell 1420 is a 14.1" display based notebook where as MacBook is a13" based notebook...

Dell 1420 is more on mainstream notebook where as MacBook is more on portable mobility section :)

If you have to compare MacBook then do with it with Dell XPS 1330 :)

What is your budget and what are the price of both the device is quoted to you ?? 2.4 GHz penryn macbook is around 67k in India i suppose !!!

napster007

Padawan
everyone knows that mac's are just not ment for gaming .....although ur 8400 too won't do you much good if ur into gaming... but a mac and a PC are totally different! Go for a Mac only if ur into buisness stuff. Go for the dell if u have a variety of needs.

secondly buying from Dell u'll have much better options to upgrade later than that of mac and cheaper too.

thirdly, the intel gma is onboard and i don't think it can take on a dedicaded graphics processor like 8400.

goobimama

 Macboy
Even if they had a 9800GTX in that Macbook, you cannot think of using it for gaming cause OS X lacks games. You have to boot into Windows and all that which ends up being out of your workflow. So if gaming is your thing, just ignore the mac.

If however gaming is not your thing, then the Mac is the only real alternative ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
this is urgent. i had my mind set on the inspiron 1420 when a apple dealer showed me the macbook(same range). he says its loads better on every front, etc etc. all of which i knew. but then he said that although mac uses intel gma its custom built and can easily take on geforce 8400gs. i am not convinced although i think it looked pretty powerful (i didnt try any games) . can anyone help me on this ? im totally confused! i wanna be sure its as good as a geforce when it comes to games, if im gonna buy it. please comment, & on the facts, not on ur preferences.

ps. i was quoted rs.44-45k for dell & 46K+tax 4 mac
pps. when say same range i mean the same price range ie. rs.45-48k
As Choto said, both are different form factors. Just to clear things up the GMA on a Mac is the same as in any PC motherboard.

Hence Mac GMA < 8400. If you wanna game, get a laptop with at least an 8600GT. You can get that in Dell/HP etc. or you can get the MacBook Pro, again of corz for gaming you'll hafta install Windows on you Mac.

Tamoghno

Padawan
One thing i feel that the lower end macbooks are seriously overpriced in india.AFAIK The lowest model(2.2ghz i think) dont even come with a DVD Burner.

Though i must admit macbook looks really so much better.

I'm also thinking of getting a laptop later this year.after comparing many factors i decided i'll go for some HP or dell which is decently compatible with hackintosh.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Go for a Mac only if ur into buisness stuff.
And stop paying heed to advice of those who have no clue what they are talking about -- like this guy, for instance.

Macs are not for gaming. They're just not. In every other department -- Internet, multimedia, design, what have you -- they'll rock your boat. They are 100% virus proof, never crash or hang or slow down, do not require frequent restarts and you don't have to re-install the entire operating system every three months. That's a Mac, nearly perfect in every regard.

Except gaming. If gaming is your thing, stay away. Stay far away. :)

napster007

Padawan
And stop paying heed to advice of those who have no clue what they are talking about -- like this guy, for instance.
:D

and this guy who has crap filled up till his head! and not to mention never has all the facts together and starts balbering as soon as he gets the smallest opportunity! Like for instance if apple makes a mistake he'll be the last one to accept it. But if "jobs" visits the crapper.....he'll be the first one to know. I won't be surprised if he keeps a journal full of records abt the number of times steve visits the pot:D:D:D

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
+1 for Dell. It's lot better and has lot of options/customizability when compared to insanely overpriced mac.

Smoke

Macroshaft® Losedos™ MVP
owing mac is like getting a benz...luxury and royal I guess you going to miss them with dell bcoz dell is more common atleast in this part of the world.

Even if they had a 9800GTX in that Macbook, you cannot think of using it for gaming cause OS X lacks games. You have to boot into Windows and all that which ends up being out of your workflow. So if gaming is your thing, just ignore the mac.

If however gaming is not your thing, then the Mac is the only real alternative ;)
Actually, I think Darwine is supposed to be sufficiently strong by now, since wine is version 1.0. Even crysis can run on wine.

Who says mac can't game ? Hell, it has more games than linux, and pretty good ones too. Google for mac gamers or something like that and you will soon see that loads of your mac peers are secretly hardcore gamers.

While it runs most windows games via (dar)wine, it has a good selection of native games, like those from the NFS series.

Ek din khel ke toh dekh, baki sab kuch bhool jayega. :p
The main deciding factor is Mac OS X. Cause there's nothing like it on other notebooks.
Nope. I think the main deciding factor is the overall look and feel of the laptop, its keyboard, ability to scroll with two fingers on touch pad, etc. Thats the REAL thing which is absent on most other notebooks and apple has the advantage. OSX like features can be added easily afterwards, and it won't cost a pie. But modding hardware to have mac like UI ? I think not.;-)
owing mac is like getting a benz...luxury and royal I guess you going to miss them with dell bcoz dell is more common atleast in this part of the world.
Depends on the dell you are talking about. Inspiron 1525 is damn common. But Dell XPS 1550 is rich, while XPS 1330 is 1337. Anyone here with a Dell Latitude ? That would be the REAL benz. And Dell XPS 1720 would mean Ferrari F1 cars. :D

PS: here we go again with the car vs PC comparisons :lol:

goobimama

 Macboy
Nope. I think the main deciding factor is the overall look and feel of the laptop, its keyboard, ability to scroll with two fingers on touch pad, etc. Thats the REAL thing which is absent on most other notebooks and apple has the advantage. OSX like features can be added easily afterwards, and it won't cost a pie. But modding hardware to have mac like UI ? I think not.
Then wrong you are my good sir. For it is OS X that makes all the difference. Of course, OS X runs perfectly only on a Mac, so that ends that argument.

I am not saying that the MacBook by itself is a crappy notebook. It sure is an awesome notebook, looks good, and runs Windows pretty fast as well. But the major USP of the whole thing is the Mac ecosystem which is driven by OS X and OS X only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom