Should i go for the Mac Book Pro???

har

In the zone
And from your profile pic,its obvious you are a fanboy :p

If "of course" everyone will say mac is better, ever thought to consider that mac IS better?

Hmmm...let me think ...YES
ITS CRAP !

Look mac is for video professionals. Its certainly not for CS students.

har

In the zone
Look, I have been using a mac since 2009 and i will recommend it. Windows is crap.

The one thing I have learned is:Never argue with a MAC Fanboy. Its useless :banghead:

And give me ONE reason why mac os will be better for his CS studies ? How it will benefit him ?

Check these links out.

Mac fanboys should get a life and some Windows 7 common sense

We Hate Macs - Mac Fanboys - an indepth review

It will dispel every single myth as to how mac os beats win 7,

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
GNOME 3 Shell + Linux is better than Mac OS X. Mac OS X is better than Windows. PS: I'm going with Macbook Pro as a whole.

I'm talking in terms of ease to use and also as a programmer.

Setting up an Apache + MySQL + PHP server is PITA in Windows. Yea, you can simply install XAMPP but that won't give you the learning curve of how *nix run and how servers are handled. Even if you get a Windows laptop, you'll end up install a Linux distro.

And give me ONE reason why mac os will be better for his CS studies ? How it will benefit him ?
Because it is UNIX.

har

In the zone
If you need UNIX,just install linux. There is no need of mac os which is nowhere as good as linux for programming.

And if you game a bit,windows is the way to go. And he's a CS student. He doesnt need the extremely easy mac interface. There is no need.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you need UNIX,just install linux. There is no need of mac os which is nowhere as good as linux for programming.

And if you game a bit,windows is the way to go. And he's a CS student. He doesnt need the extremely easy mac interface. There is no need.
Every bit as good for programming as Linux is. Especially when on the go as Macbook Pro has great battery life which Windows/Linux running suitcases will have a tough time matching.

He doesnt need the extremely easy mac interface.
It isn't easy. It is more productive.

CloudS

Broken In
Dont even think of mac. You will end up installing windows or linux.

Eh ....a review site. Of course they will say mac is better.

He is a CS Student. I am a CS student and I feel we should suggest for his requirements.

Review site will say better to whats better.

The one thing I have learned is:Never argue with a MAC Fanboy. Its useless :banghead:

Check these links out.

Mac fanboys should get a life and some Windows 7 common sense

We Hate Macs - Mac Fanboys - an indepth review

It will dispel every single myth as to how mac os beats win 7,

Ah.... Its a betanews site and wehatemacs, of course they will say Mac is not good.

Mac is great, windows too. Which is better depends on the user and what you are using it for.-

har

In the zone
Every bit as good for programming as Linux is. Especially when on the go as Macbook Pro has great battery life which Windows/Linux running suitcases will have a tough time matching.

It isn't easy. It is more productive.

Guess I just dont like mac :-(
Its just too dummified :p

red dragon

Master troll
And seriously try Mac OS before buying. Its a highly overrated OS. Win 7 does all of it with better software support. Unless you are a professional video or sound editor,mac os is useless. The upcoming Win 8 sweeps mac off its feet if you ask me. And yes,very few software run on mac's.

Fanboys will always say:Mac is the best,like windows is something aincient,but I've used both..blah.blah...
You do not sound like a CS student and probably do not know a thing about either o.s.
Most professional video and sound editors have long moved away from os X.
As Windows now has much more capable softwares for their needs compared to osX.
Being said that,Mac does have almost all type of free and paid SW,normal people like you and me use everyday.
Moreover the iphoto,imovie and garageband that comes free with all Macs are very nice softwares,provided you know how to use them!
For a normal user a Lion is as good as Windows7,but for a serious professional (CS students are not included)Windows7 does have some added advantage,specially professional video editors(as FCP needs some serious changes to stay in competition with Windows counterparts)
But a laptop is not about os alone,and this is precisely where MacbookPro trumps most Windows laptops!
Nothing is wrong to be a MS fanboy,but try not to be an ignorant fan.
Regarding Windows8 blowing everyone...just hold your horses till October and pray that it does not turn a disaster!!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh really ?? You calling me delusional ??
Get over yourself. You have no idea what I had and what I didnt. :-x
Then contribute constructively instead of trolling. No point of derailing the topic anymore.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Mac OS X but sadly "programming" (not talking about Microsoft sphere) and "interface" is not one of them.

Top Bottom