Should I Buy the PSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathik

Google Bot
Don't pay for a modded one. Mod it yourself. Not only will you save some cash, you'll also end up learning a lot of stuff about the PSP.

Also, the Sound Quality is fantastic. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no idea what he is talking about. I own a Creative Zen and the PSP trumps it when it comes to SQ. Never before have I heard such pure tonal modality and such controlled Bass. If only the PSP had better music management [which hopelessly sucks] and was a bit more portable, I would have never bought the Zen.

And the video quality is the best Portable experience out there, save for the Cowon A3, the Zen W and the Archos.

Besides, once you mod your PSP the possibilities are endless. You can do just about anything from listening to internet radio to controlling your TV!

I have a PSP too, and after the PS2 [which I also own] it is the most value for money gadget out there.
Actually here we get the modded ones only. THe unmodded ones are available for 8990/8.6k.

OP
rohan_mhtr

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Ok i will buy the modded one , but which type of memory card is supported and how much comes bundled with it , also if i buy 4 gb card will it fall under my budget which is 10k .

Actually here we get the modded ones only. THe unmodded ones are available for 8990/8.6k.
I don't understand , why do unmodded ones costs more then modded ones ?

Last edited:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..

If a modded one is coming for this price i wont mind buying it , it will save a lot of headache.

Where are you from , i mean the city. Any one in pune can suggest me the place to buy modded ones? does psp slim have any/many drawbacks when compared to the fat model(wrt to modding scene) .:confused:

girish.g

respect mah authoritah!!
Ok i will buy the modded one , but which type of memory card is supported and how much comes bundled with it , also if i buy 4 gb card will it fall under my budget which is 10k .

I don't understand , why do unmodded ones costs more then modded ones ?
no memory card bundled with PSP core pack. memory stick pro duo is supported.
buy it man its awesome better than any PMP put there in this budget.
but beware of addiction. ia m currently addicted to tekken dark reserruction and the sound quality.

Pathik

Google Bot
@tarey. I m from mumbai.
@rohan the modded ones are japanese versions. That is not a drawback though.
And yea by getting a pre modded one you dont have to spend extra for a pandora battery and you can always upgrade to other future m33 firmwares. Saves a lot of time/money.

Also you can get a duplicate MSPD 4gb for 1.5k in mumbai..

Last edited:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Any difference btwn the slim one and the fat one ? wrt to the modding thing , will every game image work on the slim one too?i know absolutely nothing , current owners pls help.

@pathik , from mumbai where to get?

Pathik

Google Bot
Yup it will. The PSP Slim is actually better. It has double the RAM and a TV out as well. Though there is comparatively lesser homebrew support for the Slim.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I think getting the Slim is a better idea. It has several changes compared to the standard PSP. And the all the mods of the fat PSP will surely come for it soon.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
less homebrew support is ok ,until i am getting the basic support. i dont want to end up buying a costly brick even if its slim :p. So is the basic(ahem) functionality is available for slim modded psp

hullap

Cyborg Agent
^ homebrew may be called "LIMIT BREAKERS: :D in my words
But see here *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable_homebrew

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Any modded psp slim owner in digit who can give some suggestions, do's and donts

This is given on wikipedia regarding new psp slim homebrew

Previous downgraders, homebrew enablers, and other exploits were originally unable to run on the PSP Slim & Lite (which initially shipped with firmware version 3.60).[22] Initial tests found out that "Pandora's Battery" exploit was compatible with the new PSPs, however the original IPL (stored on the memory stick), based on the 1.50 kernel, did not work.[23] Eventually the M33 team was able to release custom firmware, and a revised "Pandora's Battery" that was compatible with the new PSP Slim & Lites. A "universal" PSP modifier program was released, titled "Despertar del Cementerio" (Awaken from the Cemetery). The Undiluted Platinum modchip no longer works, due to the new motherboard layout and IPL signature. The latest version of M33 custom-firmware, takes the user to 3.90 M33, but the 1.50 kernel install needs to be done manually. The PSP Slim cannot use 1.50 kernel due to its motherboard being significantly different to those of previous PSP models, however M33 developers have successfully gotten 1.50 to run on the Slim, however still very unstable. There is a new revision of the PSP Slim motherboard, dubbed TA-085 v2, as opposed to TA-085. The newer motherboard revision only seems to have taken away the ability to create a Pandora battery, because it doesn't allow for battery EEPROM flashing. No other abilities have yet been discovered. It is unclear at this time, but the new motherboard revision began shipping with either firmware 3.72 or 3.73, as opposed to 3.60 of the original slim PSP version. There is a way of determining the motherboard version from the box by the location of the serial number. This only applies to North American units. If the serial number is bottom of the box, it would be the TA-085 motherboard. If the number is on the back of the box, it may be the newer TA-085 v2 motherboard.

Last edited:
OP
rohan_mhtr

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Thank you to all the guys who have posted in this thread , i have made up my decision and tomorrow i am going to buy the psp , and offcourse the new slim modded one . Checked with the dealer and it costs 8.7k with bill in vashi (mumbai) , also going to buy 4gb card worth 1.9k . And forgot to mention that, i am getting one game disk free :p ie daxtor , has any one played it . I have checked lots of sites on net from where i can get many psp games , now please do not suggest that this is piracy , have you never used pirated software anytime in your life :lol:
Please also suggest some good games to start with .

OP
rohan_mhtr

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Any good racing game available , and also how is the fifa series or should i go with some other sports game .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom