Should I buy a Blu Ray Drive?

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys recently my DVD ROM Driver stopped working so I was thinking of buying a replacement DVD ROM Drive but I thought should I put some more money and get a Blu Ray Drive? Is it worth it? How much is the minimum amount that I need to spend on? Since I recently bought a LED TV I thought maybe I can hook this up and play Blu Ray Movies. But I'm not sure since I read somewhere that it maybe region locked. Also heard that Blu Ray disks are very expensive. I think the cheapest available is around Rs 5000 by Lite on.

Can someone please help me decide?

R2K

In the Zone
Blu-Ray discs are not yet popular in India due to its ridiculous pricing. (3-4 BR Discs will cost more than the player itself)
IMO If you are looking for something that will enable you to watch HD movies or videos on LCD TV's then you should go with some feature filled Media Players that can play almost all kinds of HD media contents through USB or memory cards.
Blu-Ray is gonna take a while to become main stream

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
only if ur a movie buff who enjoys extras, features etc on Blu-Rays and have at least a 5.1 system to support it and intend on buying blue ray discs regularly it makes sense

ganeshnokiae63

Hardcore Gamer
you can use ps3 to hook up with your LED tv
ps3 have blu ray drive.
SONY PS3
Sony blu raydrive 1
Sony blu raydrive 2
normal blu ray drive(sony,samsung)cost rs 10000.
you can add rs 6000 to get a branded blu-ray player and ps3:cool::cool:..

ajaymailed

In the zone
Blu-Ray discs are not yet popular in India due to its ridiculous pricing. (3-4 BR Discs will cost more than the player itself)
Blu-Ray is gonna take a while to become main stream
I was wondering why is that, is it costly to build blue rays and blue ray players. they have been around since 5 yrs.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
mostly production values, there is no real demand for high quality content, only video format hipsters want that youtube is too highres for most other people, and camrips are more or less the de facto standard for anything new, which ppl buy, not blu-rays which are old when they come out
also, the biggest selling point of the blu-rays are the extras, the videos/documentaries/commentary tracks/mini-games that come with the blue-ray discs if you check out the blu-ray discussion thread there is no mention of these which just goes to show that these are really not that attractive for consumers here and its just the "HD" that they are still after, which is more or less as bad as "kya aapka toothpaste mein namak hai?"
there is a potential market for collectors, also subtitles have proven to be helpful for consumption across the planet, ... huge untapped market here, its more of a niche thing ppl used to do it with tapes but digital stuff made accessing anything too easy

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I don't remember when did I burned a "CD" last time (may be 4yrs?!?). Never burned a DVD or even seen a blu-ray. RIP optical media!

helion

Broken In
It is suggestible to wait some more time until they become the par-standard as DVDs are today. At that time either the new DVD Drive will remain as a back up or recover some % of the purchase price if sold.

Top Bottom