bobby23

Broken In
I have the following system:

Core 2 duo E6700
Asus motherboard (Supports up to 8GB)
250GB Seagate HDD
2*2 GB DDR2 Transcend Ram
450W Zebronics SMPS

I want to upgrade my Ram, is it possible to buy another 2 GB stick and have 6GB memory or only 8GB is possible?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
it is very much possible but may be u will be losing out on dual channel advantage. Read your motherboard manual for dual channel config.

abhijangda

Padawan
there is no need of 6 or 8 GB RAM, 4 GB is more than enough for the stuffs u want to do. u will not see any big change in ur computers performance after upgrading. upgrade ur graphics card rather. dont waste ur valuable money.

pegasus

Journeyman
bobby sir,
If you are using 64-bit OS, then you will benefit from more RAM i think.
As said earlier by others, adding one more stick will make the three 2GB sticks run in single channel, thus sacrificing RAM speed a bit.
But the type of work you have mentioned, does benefit from more RAM afaik. :):)

Do you have DDR2 667 or DDR2 800?
True/noticeable performance gains with DDR2 RAM began from the 800Mhz sticks iirc.
If you have DDR2 667 sticks, the newer DDR2 800 stick/s will run at 667Mhz too.
You may add 2 sticks of 2 GB to make it 8GB overall and it will run in dual channel, though only in 2T.
there is no need of 6 or 8 GB RAM, 4 GB is more than enough for the stuffs u want to do. u will not see any big change in ur computers performance after upgrading. upgrade ur graphics card rather. dont waste ur valuable money.
I am sorry but are you into animation, video editing, 3D rendering or any related profession?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26636

if you are an animation student & want to render high detailed frames, believe me at some point even 4-6gb will seem less...rendering is highly dependant on RAM.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
adding one more stick will make the three 2GB sticks run in single channel, thus sacrificing RAM speed a bit.
But the type of work you have mentioned, does benefit from more RAM afaik. :):)

actually the first 2 stick will run in Dual ch. the third stick in single channel. but this can bring unexpected problems & also performance going take a hit.

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
its better if you get another 2X2 pair. Then the both pairs will work on Dual Channel. Triple channel is the advantage of DDR3.

my n00b friend upgraded his PC's ram to 12GB - I was Lol'd after seeing it and the PC use was just for surfing and some very minor games like DAVE :p

pegasus

Journeyman
actually the first 2 stick will run in Dual ch. the third stick in single channel. but this can bring unexpected problems & also performance going take a hit.
Can you please try out what you say and confirm it in CPU-Z?
Coz if it is what you say, i will give myself a hard whack on my head and need to clear out the old stuff and input some fresh and correct info. :)

From what i remember, especially from the older motherboards, loosely put it went something like
- an even number of RAM sticks of same capacity (preferably identical/matched), in the appropriate slots, should work in dual channel
- an even number of sticks, with different capacity on any stick, will run in single channel
- an odd number of RAM sticks, irrespective of capacity of each stick will always work in single channel.

For the best dual-channel memory performance on motherboards with the Intel dualchannel
DDR chipsets, you must use identically paired memory modules in DIMM
sockets 0 of channel A and B. Identically paired memory modules must also be used
when populating DIMM sockets 1 of channel A and B. One can, for example, plug in
matching 256MB DIMMs in both DIMM 0 slots, and plug in matching 512MB DIMMs in
both DIMM 1 slots.
In this context, “matching” modules means:
1. Both modules are the same capacity (e.g. both are 256MB, or 512MB)
2. Both modules are the same speed (e.g. both are PC2700 or PC3200)
3. Both have the same number of chips and module sides (e.g. both have the
same number of chips on the module, and both are either single-sided or
double-sided).
For the Intel platforms based upon the Intel 865 or 875 chipsets, the rules can be
summarized as follows:
In the following diagram, the top section indicates 'dual channel' and the lower one indicates 'single channel' scenario.
*img8.imageshack.us/img8/446/singlevsdualchanneldiag.jpg
Source: *www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRwhitepaper.pdf

Last edited:

pegasus

Journeyman
No one tell if what i post still holds true or things have changed or i was totally wrong always? :oops:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Can you please try out what you say and confirm it in CPU-Z?

i have only a pair of ram so its not possible for now (until a friend/neighbor gets a DD3 system).

From what i remember, especially from the older motherboards, loosely put it went something like
- an even number of RAM sticks of same capacity (preferably identical/matched), in the appropriate slots, should work in dual channel
- an even number of sticks, with different capacity on any stick, will run in single channel
- an odd number of RAM sticks, irrespective of capacity of each stick will always work in single channel.

In the following diagram, the top section indicates 'dual channel' and the lower one indicates 'single channel' scenario.
*img8.imageshack.us/img8/446/singlevsdualchanneldiag.jpg
Source: *www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRwhitepaper.pdf

thanks a lot for clearing out my mistakes regarding ram :smile: actually i read about it in NewEgg (user comment on Asus 870X board or so) & also somewhere else so i thought that its possible (to have dual ch & single ch memory at same time).

pegasus

Journeyman
actually i read about it in NewEgg (user comment on Asus 870X board or so) & also somewhere else so i thought that its possible (to have dual ch & single ch memory at same time).
Please do try and search and post those links here.
We never know if we miss something by mistake. :)

Top Bottom