SharePoint Development-Casual Gaming

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Hi Folks,

I have read similar threads and buying advice thread by Jas but was still confused so creating a new thread to get help from you guys, here goes the questionnaire:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Generic answers will not work. Be exact and avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mainly a CPU based on 64bit architecture for SharePoint2010 related development tasks. I used to be a gamer but don't find time now. It would be good I could play NFS once a while but that's not a need.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: I am expecting a config under 20K (can extend to 25K max). If I can't play games within that, no worries. Just want to fulfill my main purpose.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Depends (do not include expensive MB/Processor for overclocking)

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win7 64bit, Win Server 2008 R2

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I have around 2TB so no extra HDD required

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I have Dell ST2220L

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Please exclude monitor, HDD, keyboard/mouse, UPS, Speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, I have assembled a PC

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore, but I can purchase online too.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I have an inclination towards Intel based PCs :)

Techniboy

Hello World!!
Hi,

Not possible to get a good intel based pc in the budget get an AMD one...

Processor-AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition RS.6,400
Motherboard-Gigabyte Ga-880GM-USB3 RS.4,800
Graphics Card-MSI R6790 RS.8,500
RAM-4GB RipjawsX RS.1,600
CD DRIVE-LG CD/DVD DRIVE RS.1,000
CABINET-CM ELITE 311 (NON PLUS) RS.1900
PSU-Corsair CX500W RS.3,000

TOTAL=RS.27,200

Slightly overshot your budget but this is a good config...

Techniboy

Hello World!!
Thanks Techniboy for that config..but is that GPU really required?

Your welcome...

I am also a casual gamer and i have decided to buy this card because i also have the same kind of budget..

This card is gr8 for low-mid range gaming.. it outperforms any nvidia card in that budget..
But if you want to downgrade and save some money then go for any of the 2...

SAPPHIRE HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 @ RS.7.2k
OR
HIS AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6750 1GB GDDR5 @ RS.6.7k

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ HD 6790 might be overkill for the light gaming he meant. :p

AMD A6-3650 @ 6.2k (4 cores + good built-in GPU)
Gigabyte A75M-D2H @ 6.8k
4GB 1600 Mhz Corsair Vengeance/Gskill Ripjaws 1.6k
500 GB Hard Disk @ 4.5k
DVD Writer @ 1k
CM Elite 310 cabinet @ 1.6k
Corsair CX430v2 @2.4k

Phenom II X4 965 is the faster processor. But it might be overkill for SharePoint. HD 6790 again is overkill for someone who will rarely game. A6-3650 has a quad core processor and IGP which will handle the mild game which you meant. :)

Buy a 60GB SSD from the remaining budget and use it as the boot drive if you want to see some real performance boost.

anyways what processor do you have currently? Techniboy's configuration is also nice. Add a graphic card according to your needs to it. :)

OP
gagan007

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
thanks ico. I will actually prepare a VM for this, so will double the RAM to 8GBs (>4GB is must for a VM to run SharePoint and SQL Server etc).

I have Intel Dual Core, 2GB RAM, XFX8600GT on some MSI MB which I purchased around 4 years ago. It can't run my setup.

As you said about Techniboy's config, I too like it (who doesn't like a fast processor), it was only with graphics card which was increasing the budget.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
k, you have 8600 GT already. In that case A6-3650's built-in IGP isn't any worth it improvement.

Go for Phenom II X4 965 + HD 6670/6750/6770 or 6790 like Techniboy suggested. These will give you real improvement (2 - 3x as fast) over 8600 GT.

PSU should be Seasonic S12II 520w in this case. (Phenom II X4 965 and HD 6770 +)

sunny24m

Right off the assembly line
I am thinking of start learning Sharepoint development and really looking out for some useful resource. Well!! As you have mentioned, you had to answered so many questions, I started worrying a little bit. Any ways, nice experience. Thanks for sharing with us..

Top Bottom