Share your Tweaking Tips here

Have you tweaked your computer?

• Total voters

ashisharya

In the zone
here it goes:
Go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "Advanced" tab, in the "Performance" section select "Settings". uncheck these

Show translucent selection rectangle
Use drop shadows for icons labels on the desktop
Use visual styles on windows and buttons

ashisharya

In the zone
The following is a list of Services that you can Disable on most systems for increased performance:

Alerter
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Help and Support
Indexing Service
IPSEC Services
Messenger
Portable Media Serial Number
Remote Registry Service
Secondary Logon
SSDP Discovery Service
Telnet
Upload Manager
Wireless Zero Configuration

ashisharya

In the zone
Finding out the reason of a Windows crash

If you would like to know the reason why there was a sudden crash of Windows, change the DWORD-value ShutdownReasonUI temporarily to 1 in the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Reliability
After a reboot you will find the reason why your Windows shuts down suddenly in the log files (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Logfiles). If you are finished analyzing, change the value ShutdownReasonUI back to 0.

Windows search optimization

Within Windows XP you are able to search your computer for files (Start, Search), but takes some clicking to get what you want! To optimize the search function, you have to make some registry changes. To make changes, navigate to the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
where you will find some important DWORD-values. Change these values to optimize your Windows search:
SearchSystemDirs=1
SearchHidden=1
IncludeSubFolders=1
CaseSensitive=0
SearchSlowFiles=1

Finding out the reason of a Windows crash

If you would like to know the reason why there was a sudden crash of Windows, change the DWORD-value ShutdownReasonUI temporarily to 1 in the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Reliability
After a reboot you will find the reason why your Windows shuts down suddenly in the log files (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Logfiles). If you are finished analyzing, change the value ShutdownReasonUI back to 0.

A faster NTFS file system

You probably use the NTFS file system (see the properties of your C: partition). You can improve performance by making some changes in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Filesystem
Change the following registry values, as you wish:
DisableNTFSLastAccessUpdate=dword:00000001 (last file access is no longer registered).
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation=dword:00000001 (no more double filenames: long names and the old 8.3 variant (the 8.3 file notation is used for the older Windows versions).
NtfsMftZoneReservation=dword:00000002 (if there are many files on a partition, the master file table (MFT) can get fragmented, with this tweak there will be no more fragmenting of the file master file table (default value = 1, range 1-4).

Source:Various

contactpraven2001

In the matrix of linux
well most of time i use the tips and trics which given in tha digit maz but some time i like to play with regidit also but most of the time i m busy in formeting my pc

ashisharya

In the zone
his tip is only recommended if you have 256MB RAM or higher.

Follow these steps:

Run SYSEDIT.EXE from the Run command.
Expand the system.ini file window.
Scroll down almost to the end of the file till you find a line called [386enh].
Press Enter to make one blank line, and in that line type
Irq14=4096
Note: This line IS CASE SENSITIVE!!!
Click on the File menu, then choose Save.
Close SYSEDIT and reboot your computer.
Done. Speed improvement will be noticed after the computer reboots.

Optimize the Page File

"Virtual Memory is the space on the hard disk Windows uses as RAM. The Page File (Pagefile.sys) serves as temporary, virtual memory storage for code and data." -*www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6242.asp

Instructions - Go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "Advanced" tab, in the "Performance" section select "Settings", "Advanced" tab, in the "Virtual Memory" section select "Change". Change the values to:

- Initial size (MB): 1.5 x the amount of RAM in your system
- Maximum size (MB): 3.0 x the amount of RAM in your system (PF Size Limit = 4095 MB)
Then select "Set" and "OK" and reboot.

S

SE><IE

Reorganizing Control Panel
The Control Panel in Windows XP includes a category view that divides specific tasks and Control Panel icons into different categories. You can include a Control Panel icon in a particular category by adding a REG_DWORD value for it in the key HKLM\ Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Extended Properties\ {305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2. (The 2 is part of the key's name.) Most of the Control Panel icons already have values in this key, so all you have to do is assign a category ID to each one. The following list describes the available category IDs:

0x00000000.
Other Control Panel Options. (Any tool that does not specify a category ID is placed in this category.)

0x00000001.
Appearance and Themes.

0x00000002.
Printers and Other Hardware.

0x00000003.
Network and Internet Connections.

0x00000004.
Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices.

0x00000005.
Performance and Maintenance.

0x00000006.
Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.

0x00000007.
Accessibility Options.

0xFFFFFFFF.
This indicates not to put the tool in any category, and is for special tools that only start directly, such as Add Or Remove Programs.

For example, to put the System Control Panel tool in the Appearance and Themes category, set %SystemRoot%\System32\sysdm.cpl to 0x01. For Control Panel tools that are implemented as shell namespace extensions (for example, Fonts and Scheduled Tasks), the category ID is specified in the registry under the CLSID entry. For example, the category setting for the Administrative Tools folder is in HKCR\CLSID\{D20EA4E1-3957-11D2-A40B-OC5020524153}. It's the REG_DWORD value {305CA226-D286-468e-B848-2B2E8E697B74} 2, which is set to 0x05 by default.

Note: It is not possible to create new 'sections' though

speedrider_200

Right off the assembly line
If looks doesn't a matter for you, then you can make your XP faster upto 40%. The inbuilt Performance option in windows XP will do this all for you without any hassale. Apart from that you can go for some registry editing stuff.

Ben Jacob

Right off the assembly line
Tweaking tips are here

Hi allll i am a new member to digitForums
Ok i will direct you all to a ultimate Windows Vista tweak Site
ok click here will direct you to there

S

SE><IE

Goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse and...

X-Windows effect
Using this trick you can bring the windows to top i.e. make it active by merely moving the mouse pointer over it.
Modify the ActiveWindowTracking key to 1

Swap mouse buttons
Make the mouse left handed the geeky way.
In the same hive look for SwapMouseButtons modify it to 1 for left handed, 0 means right handed.

Modify double click
Sentsitivity: modify DoubleClickHeight and DoubleClickWidth. Default is 4
Speed: modify DoubleClickSpeed to something other than the default 500

Speed
modify MouseSpeed to change the pointer's speed. Default is 1

No. of lines scrolled per wheel roll
Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop and modifyWheelScrollLines to the desired no. Default is 3

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
WinTricks is one of the largest and most up-to-date programs for Windows
tips, tricks, and secrets available today! WinTricks includes tips/tricks for
all versions of Windows, plus the Registry, Desktop, AOL, Laptop, Internet,
and more. You will find that this program is easy to navigate and it has
complete instructions on all of our Tips, Tricks, and Secrets.

The newest version includes 55 new tips/tricks for categories such as
Windows XP, Windows Me, Desktop, Registry, and more. The new
version also includes one new category for Hardware Tips & Tricks.:)

*cdn.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/win95/info/wintricks_v4-0f.exe

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opera Tweak

To access opera web browser's more advanced options in a
web interface:

In a blank page just type "about:config" or "opera:config" without the quotes and voila you are ready to go.

Tested with version: 9.01 build 8518. Don't know if it works with other versions.

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
The mode(view) and conditions in which I leave my folder does not remains same
when i visit it again

Eg: closing the folder in "Icons" mode changes to "Tiled" mode after somedays

Give me a solution to eliminate this

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Open Tools -> Folder Options and in View tab, make sure that "Remember each folder's view settings" option is enabled! :)

sabret00the

Youngling
Not exactly tweaking tips but more or less troubleshooting:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37266
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37264

sabret00the

Youngling
hey I have started to like this thread.Guys I have a question see if any of u ubergeeks can help me.

Last edited:

arun77574

Broken In
An alternative to close any open window. doesn't matter what ever the window has in it. it may be paint, media player, explorer window, any third party software, games........ or what ever it is.

Jus double click at the top left corner of the window and it gets closed.
Try this out guys.

pritish_kul2

★★★★★★★★★
does anyone know how to put a logo on the login screen of windows XP and how to change the start option to make it a clock?

Top Bottom