Share your Tweaking Tips here

Have you tweaked your computer?

• Total voters

pbtg

Broken In
Tell me abut Linux

can i change my keyboard or mouse or anything else after installing LINUX & will it support the new hardware & if not what i have to make it work??[/b]

pbtg

Broken In
i want to ask all u out there that can i change the boot screen of XP or (* without help of any software & if yes then how can i do that???

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
make your IDE cables more "air flow" friendly here

i am posting it again here, just to make ppl aware of this thing..

Yathi

Broken In
shwetanshu said:
to shutdown faster simply press: winkey-->u-->u
hibernate:winkey-->u-->h
restart: winkey-->u-->r

For me this is the fastest way rather than clicking icons, pressing power button or clicking on start menu. hehehe

It does not work, atleast not in windows XP. Only starts the utility manager.

Yathi

Broken In
If you want to shutdown quickly, make a shortcut. In its location type c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00. Then assign it a shortcut key like
ctrl + shift + s. Then whenever you want to shutdown you only have to press 3 keys. For restart give r instead of s.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
Yathi said:
shwetanshu said:
to shutdown faster simply press: winkey-->u-->u
hibernate:winkey-->u-->h
restart: winkey-->u-->r

For me this is the fastest way rather than clicking icons, pressing power button or clicking on start menu. hehehe

It does not work, atleast not in windows XP. Only starts the utility manager.

he means ... press winkey ... then release it .. then press "u" .. release it .. then press "u" again
dont press winkey AND u together .. that'll start utility manager .. :)

-----
alibi

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
pbtg said:
i want to ask all u out there that can i change the boot screen of XP or (* without help of any software & if yes then how can i do that???
Simple indeed, first download the boot screen - should have the file name 'ntoskrnl.exe'
Now, go to System32 in the windows folder and replace the file there with the new one

A word ofWARNING !
Before doin this plz verify for which version of Service Pack the boot screen krnl is made, if u got sp2 then dont paste a non sp2 file and try, coz u will then have to re install os or repair...

@expert no1 - u can use the scheduler softwares for shuttin down ur pc, but bout turnin on, do this- enable wakeup option for ur phone lne port and ask somebody to dial u at a time...
If ur UPS is on but ur PC is off then it will booot up (i tried this once in 1999 in WIN 98)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
to shut down in emergency hanging case in which u can feel that the task manager(ctrl_alt_del) has opened but u cant see it (in some games)
press
ALT+U > U and the comp will shutdown...

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Creating quick notes with WordPad scraps in Windows XP

Do you often use Notepad to create quick notes to yourself and then save the file on your desktop? While the process is quite simple, there is an alternative that you might want to investigate. This alternative takes advantage of the fact that WordPad can generate and the Desktop can host special OLE objects called scraps.

The benefit is that creating scraps is as easy as a quick drag-and-drop operation--and there's no need for all the steps involved in naming and saving the file.

Here's how to create quick notes with WordPad scraps:

1. Launch WordPad.
2. Create your note.
3. Select/highlight the text.
4. Drag the selection and drop it on your desktop.
5. Close WordPad and click No when prompted to save changes.

Once you drop the selection on your desktop, Windows XP recognizes the selection as an OLE object from WordPad and creates a scrap, complete with a special icon with a default title name of Scrap. To make it easier to recognize, you can rename the scrap. When you want to view your note, just double-click it and WordPad will open the scrap.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Check Windows XP directory size information with Diruse

If the vast amount of available space on your hard disk is dwindling, you're probably wondering where all that space has gone. To figure that out, you may open Windows Explorer and look for the folder or folders that are using up all the hard disk space. Or, you can save some time by right-clicking each folder, selecting Properties, and checking the Size report on the General tab.

However, an even better way to gather the information you want is to use the Windows Support Tools' Diruse command line tool. In its basic syntax, the Diruse command displays the number of files in each folder and the total size of the folder in bytes in a nice tabular format. By using the optional parameters, you can configure the Diruse command to focus on specific folders and report folder size in kilobytes or in megabytes. Other parameters will even allow you to flag folders that exceed a size that you specify.

To use the Diruse command line tool, you'll need to download and install Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools (this assumes that you've installed SP2).

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Altering Windows XP Firewall's default settings via an INF file

The Windows Firewall that comes with Windows XP Service Pack 2 is a stateful host firewall. It discards all unsolicited incoming traffic that doesn't correspond to either traffic sent in response to a request by the computer, or unsolicited traffic that has been specified as allowed via Exceptions, thus providing a good level of protection against malicious users or programs. It's also pretty flexible; you can easily configure a number of options via the Windows Firewall interface, which is available in the Control Panel.

Visiting every Windows XP system in order to make changes in this fashion isn't practical. Fortunately, you can make adjustments to the Windows Firewall's default configuration by editing the Windows Firewall INF file, Netfw.inf. Then, you can roll out the changes simply by distributing an edited copy of this file.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Quickly create multiple folders from the command prompt in Windows XP

It's a snap to create a new folder in Windows Explorer--especially if you use the Make A New Folder command in the File And Folder Tasks section of the Explorer Bar. However, if you need to create multiple folders at one time, such as when you're setting up home directories for new users, this procedure can quickly become very tedious.

Fortunately, the Make Directory command line tool has an undocumented feature that will allow you to create multiple folders in one fell swoop. For example, suppose that you need to create folders called One, Two, and Three. To do so with the Make Directory command line tool, open a Command Prompt in the folder in which you need to create these folders and type the command:

MD One Two Three

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Delete Hiberfil.sys in Windows XP before defragmenting

If you use the Windows XP's Hibernation feature on your laptop, you may want to delete the Hiberfil.sys file from the hard disk before defragmenting. When you put your computer in hibernation, Windows XP writes all memory content to the Hiberfil.sys file before shutting down the system. Then, when you turn your computer back on, the OS uses the Hiberfil.sys file to put everything back into memory, and the computer resumes where it left off. However, Windows XP leaves the Hiberfil.sys file on the hard disk, even though it's no longer needed.

The Hiberfil.sys file, which can be very large, is a special system file that Disk Defragmenter cannot defragment. Therefore, the presence of the Hiberfil.sys file will prevent Disk Defragmenter from performing a thorough defragmenting operation.

Follow these steps to remove the Hiberfil.sys file from the hard disk:

1. Access the Control Panel and double-click Power Options.
2. Select the Hibernate tab in the Power Options Properties dialog box.
3. Clear the Enable Hibernation check box and click OK.

As soon as you clear the check box, Windows XP automatically deletes the Hiberfil.sys file from the hard disk. Once you complete the defrag operation, you can re-enable the Hibernation feature.

raj14

In Deniel
Clear DNS Cache For Faster Browsing:
Go to Command Prompt Type : ipconfig/flushdns and Press Enter, this will clear the DNS Cache, which gives a minor speed boost :D

Get your Rserved Bandwidth!
Since Most People use Broadband, They should immediatly enable this tweak to get amxium performance out of their connection, Here how it goes: Go to Start>Run> type: gpedit.msc and Press Enter, this will open up The 'Group Policy Editor' a Very handy tool for tweaking Windows,
No go to, Computer Configration>Administrative Templates>Network> QoS Packet Schedular> Limit Reservable Bandwidth. Click enable, and Change the Value from Default 20% to 0% Another Speed Boost!

Make Custom Icons in IE(Tested on IE6)
By Default IE has icons ofr Messneger, Mail, Print etc,
See the Image:
*img61.imageshack.us/img61/2408/ieexample6mc.th.jpg
What if youw ant to add your favorites programs or Links as Icons? Here how you should do it:
Firstly BeFore starting make sure you have two .ico files for each icon you're going to make since it's needed later, now go Start>Run>Type>gpedit.msc and Press Enter, Now go to User Configration> Windows Settings> Internet explorer Maintainence> Browser User Interface> Browser Toolbar Customizations>
click on Add, now enter the Name as you would like to appear, in this case i choose ThinkDigit, now it asks for toolbar action, since we are only making an toolbar to a Website, type ww.anysite.com without the HTTP Prefix, aftre that choose Toolbar Icons, which can be your choice, Some Excellent and Glossy icons can be founded Here
For this step, i've choosen a cool iPod Icon! you can choose bigger icons, but keep in mind, you'd have to sacrifice some toolbars like Mail, or Print to do this, Aftre everything is finshed, Here How it Looks:
*img309.imageshack.us/img309/1313/icofinal5da.th.jpg
:D

Top Bottom