techsavvy

Broken In
Re: Fast shut down and restart

Thilak said:
Hai ,

Do it and save ur time ,

Fast Shutdown and/or Restart From Quick Launch Buttons
------------------------------------------------------------
This tip will enable you to create buttons in your quick launch toolbar to quickly and easily shut down and/or restart your computer.

1. Right click on your desktop, scroll to new..... shortcut
2. In the location line, for shutdown type; shutdown -s -t 0 ie: shutdown(space)-s(space)-t(space)number zero
3. Name the shortcut "Shut Down PC" or whatever u want
4. The new shortcut is now sitting on your desktop, right click on it and go to properties, then click on "change icon". Click OK, then pick a suitable icon, there is a red "off button" icon available, then click apply and ok.
5. Now drag the icon from your desktop into the quick launch toolbar, resize the toolbar so all the buttons are visible, then delete the shortcut from your desktop.

To create a restart button the location line should read shutdown -r -t 0 name it restart pc and give it a suitable icon for restart.

Now you can shut down or restart your pc in 1 mouse click without having to go through the startup menu.
THILAK

a nice simple way to shut down ur pc.
u can use tweak xp also 4 the same
but gives u pleasure to do it on ur own

Delpiero

Journeyman
INCREASE SPEED OF YOUR PC

CPU PRIORITY
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\BIOS\
In the right hand pane of Regedit create a new DWORD Value called "CPUPriority" (no
quotes) -> double-click on it -> check the Decimal box -> type 1 -> click OK
to save.
This will speed things up by using the fastest priority to the CPU when
opening any program, and works on 99% of the PCs I've tried it on.
To reset to Windows 9x/ME default type 3 or delete this Value altogether.
To see your system's real time performance type 0 (NOT recommended by
Microsoft!).
In some cases this Registry BIOS key is absent, because enabling the BIOS
power management feature (APM) and the Win9x/ME ACPI BIOS extentions may
disable it!
Make sure there is a Plug and Play BIOS item listed in Control Panel -> System
-> Device Manager -> System devices.
Here are other DWORD Values (Decimal) you can use to tweak your CPU Priority
even further (under the same Registry key above):
- PCIConcur = 1 (enabled)
- FastDRAM = 1 (enabled)
- AGPConcur = 1 (enabled) [if your video controller is AGP based].

PROGRAM END TASK DELAY

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop
Create two new String Values in the right hand pane:
1. Right-click -> select New -> String Value -> call it "HungAppTimeout" (no
quotes). Double-click on "HungAppTimeout" and give it a value of 1000 (default
is 5000 milliseconds = 5 seconds).
This value sets the manual timeout until a program is terminated by using Task
Manager.
2. Right-click -> select New -> String Value -> call it "WaitToKillAppTimeout"
(no quotes). Double-click on "WaitToKillAppTimeout" and give a value of 2000
(default is 20000 milliseconds = 20 seconds).
This value sets the automatic timeout until Windows shuts down/restarts, while
trying to close all open programs.
Restart Windows when done so these changes can take effect.
You can try different values here to find your optimal timeouts. Minimum in
both cases is 1 millisecond (1/1000 of a second), but it's more than likely it
will hang Windows! :)
Use them with CAUTION!

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005

techsavvy said:
Why shutdown when you can hibernate in XP...........?

goobimama

 Macboy
the most simple way of shutting down your pC is by pressing the power button. with the atx cabinet, you have to go the screen saver tab, power options and then just select shut down when I press the power button. works like a breeze

--------------
*www.rollaword.com/firefoxsig.jpg
Rollaword.com

techsavvy

Broken In

khattam_ said:
techsavvy said:

DO U NEVER SHUT DOWN UR PC?

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005

techsavvy said:
khattam_ said:
techsavvy said:

DO U NEVER SHUT DOWN UR PC?

I rarely do!!
I only use the hibernate function. But sometimes when i need to restart due to program installation or uninstallation, i restart.
This really saves a lot of time and my computer need not load all the things each time i like to use my PC. :D

Thilak

Broken In
reply to Khattam ,

Hi mate ,

Hibernation wants above 500 mb disk space :shock:

Why are u waste unnecessary ur valuable space ????????????/

Thilak

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Re: reply to Khattam ,

Thilak said:
Hi mate ,

Thilak
What are u gonna do with the space?? If you have 20 or 40 Gb, you can afford that for quick shutdown and restart. And it is not necessarily 500 Mb, it is equal to the amt of RAM u have. I have 128 mB RAM on 40 gb HD. So why shoul i worry about space. And by the way, if i need space in future, i can always disable hibernation.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
!******!Quick Scanning!******!
(for XP)

When you are running an antivirus scan, you are probably doing nothing else, waiting for the scan to complete. Same happens for the Ad-Ware scans or Registry Scans. If you don't intend to work on heavy programs in your computer during scans, you can speed up the scan by setting its priority to high. If you intend to scan on background and do something else when the scan is going on, DON'T DO WHAT I'M SAYING!

>> Ok, to speed your scan, start the scan as usual and run the task manager.
>> In task manager, under the applications tab, look for the program that is sacnning the system.
>> Right click the program and select "Go to Process".
>> Now, right click the process and set its priority to "Very High" or "Realtime". Some antivirus do not allow to change their priority,however, but if you can change the priority, you get speed boost and that's for sure. But if other programs are running, then they will respond very slow. Moreover, it may cause a crash, so do this ON YOUR OWN RISK.

How does this work??
>> If you set the programs priority to "realtime", it will get to use the CPU the most and whenever it wants, hence increasing speed.

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
Can any1 post the website where one can find a comprehensive guide for tweaks in Windows XP ?
I know of many such sites but the prob is that u have to click on a large number of links to get all the tweaks that the site has to offer. But i want the site that can give me the whole of it in a single exe / doc / pdf / zip / rar etc.........Do u guys get what i mean ? Please PM me if you u get such a link

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Less RAM no Probs. Performance boost guranteed if you use the following technique......

I have mentioned some of my tweaks so that my computer works fine and healthy and gives a better performance, in spite of less amount of RAM. I have Win XP Pro and Home (Dual-Boot) installed on my computer. I have a P4 with VIA 128 SDRAM RAM. Thank god i have a display card (NIVDIA) or i would have to give RAM to display. I have ZOneAlarm Security Suite installed (which consumes a lot of RAM and system resources). These tweaks can be childish to some geeks but for others it can be quite helpful.
The tweaks are as follows but I'm not responsible for whatever happens to your computer or to you during the use of the following. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1. Cache and Memory management program

I have installed a program called CacheBoost from Systweak. It optimizes the windwos cache and also the RAM. If configured, it also performs tweaks like

a. forcing windows to use large system cache which will prevent hanging and slow response,

b. forcing windows to keep core kernel to RAM and preventing it from being paged to disk so that disk activity is minimized and hence better performance is guranteed

c. allocating more critical threads in the memory so that windows can use it when needed, and it need not be create just when it is needed and hence this will make the performance better.

Thus, this program is highly recommended if you have less RAM. Download it free from www.systweak.com. However, it is a shareware and shall expire after 30 days. But it is of about 800K download and certainly worth a try. If you like the program, you can buy it or if you don't want to buy.................mail me

2. Page file tweak

If you have less RAM, you may want to increase your page file size to the fullest to get better performance. If you have enough disk space, you can give a page file of about 2.5 times (considered ideal, i have 7 times the RAM) the RAM. I have given 900 Mb. I have 128Mb RAM. Actually, i have a separate partition of 1Gb for my Pagefile. You too can create one extra partition of about half a Gb for the pagefile.
You can do this with the help of windows itself if you don't have third party tools to do this. You will need to follow the following steps:
a. Empty a partition other than the system partition (where OS has been installed) or the C:. Let it be D: for an example. Move all the files from D: to another partition, say C:\D-drive folder. b. Once the partition is empty, goto Start| Run and type in 'compmgmt.msc' to bring up Computer Management.
c. Under Storage, click on Disk Management.
d. Now, right click D: (which we have just emptied) and select Delete Partition and/or Unallocate.
e. Now, right click the unallocated part and create new partition of about 1Gb(or how much u desire) for your pagefile. Don't forget to tick quick format while fomatting. This will save your time.
f. Again, create a partition in the remaining disk space in the same manner.
g. Copy the files of c:\D-drive to the new partition.

Creating the partition has been done. Now, you need to put the pagefile into the drive you just created. Follow the following steps.
a. Right click My computer and select Properties.
b. Click on Advanced tab and click on Settings under Performance.
c. Again, click on the advanced tab and click change under Virtual Memory.
d. Now, you should have a 'System Managed Size' of pagefile in C: or wherever your windows is installed. Select Custom Size in C: and give only 2-50 (min=2 max=50) in the C:. DOn't forget to click SET button after giving the size.
e. Now, select the newly created drive and give as much page file as you like. Let it be about 900 Mb, if you have 1 Gb drive. Note that you should keep the max and min values of the pagefile same, to prevent defragmentation of the pagefile and to decrease disk usage. Press SET and close all open dialog boxes. It will tell you to restart, so restart and you should feel a very good difference after the restart.

3. Defragmentation

If you have less RAM, fragmentation of the files can degrade your performance. So defragment your disks regularly. Using intelligent file defragmentors such as Defragmentor Premium and Perfect Disk can help you with the defragmentation but will cost you money. You always have the illegal way but is not recommended. So, you can use a similar program to Defragmentor Premium, called PageDefrag which is a freeware. Search these programs in Google. They can be found easily.

If you have better ideas, do write. Or have any questions or suggestions, do mail me @ khAttAm.khAttAm@gmail.com

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Since i dont use my Home pc to connect to the internet so i do the following to quickly shutdown or start my PC ---->

I use WIN XP PROFESSIONAL EDITION as my OS.

START>RUN>msconfig(u hv to type in the box )>now go to the startup link and UNCHECK all the programs that u dont wanna startup wen ur system starts.

U can also look under the SERVICES tab and UNCHECK the programs/tools that u dont require during startup of ur PC.

cheers n peace....

amritpal2489

In the zone
These allow you to end tasks faster, shut down faster and speed up the menu display.
-------------------------------------------------------
regedit 5.0
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"ForegroundLockTimeout"=dword:00000000
"HungAppTimeout"="4000"
"MenuShowDelay"="200"
"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="5000"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="5000"
----------------------------------------------------------
Copy this text in notepad and save it with a .reg extension
Double click on it to run

amritpal2489

In the zone

Thilak said:
Hi mate ,

Thilak

Hibernation does not use 500 mb disk space

It only takes space equal to you RAM

Thilak

Broken In

amritpal2489 said:
Thilak said:
Hi mate ,

Thilak

Hibernation does not use 500 mb disk space

It only takes space equal to you RAM

Go to conntrol panel-power options--hibernate-How many disk space want 4 hibernation------ 224 mb

Thilak

ujjwal

Padawan
Windows tweakers, this file is a mammoth collection of tips & tweaks across all windows versions - *www.mdgx.com/2

Top Bottom