Share your Tweaking Tips here

Have you tweaked your computer?

• Total voters

[flAsh]

In the zone
use coolbits to hack advanced settings of nVidia GFX card and used the nForce3 favour for nVidia cards. Rise in performance till 3% (of course in games)

anusoni

Broken In
[flAsh said:
]use coolbits to hack advanced settings of nVidia GFX card and used the nForce3 favour for nVidia cards. Rise in performance till 3% (of course in games)
are you talking about the registry tweak ?
Anyway well there is a registry tweak for this ...i read this somewhere ...i did not discover it...:D
anyway
-->
1) goto HKLM(Local Machine)\Software\Nvidia Corporation\Global\NVTweak
2) make a new DWORD value called "Coolbits" and set its value to 3.

And Wallah you have a new tab in your advanced graphics card properties wid clock frequencies and memory frquencies ....overclock all you want :D

Note this worked for me with the latest nvidia's driver ...might not work with other customized drivers..

-->
Okay another Xp/2000 trick...not basically a tweak...if anyone thinks that his/her system files integrity has been compromised, you can run the system file checker utility to check system file integrity and restore any damaged system files...
here is how it goes

Type SFC /scannow at the run prompt(start-> run) or the command prompt. make sure u have the setup disk handy !

-->
okay this one relates to networking and is actually an option in XP but i was not aware of it , until i started preparing to take my MCSE exam...anyway
when we share a folder, we dont have much control over permissions(assuming a workgroup environment in network), to get some more control, in explorer, goto tools, folder options, click the view tab and in the advanced settings box, scroll right to the bottom ...there is an option that says .."use simple file sharing", well it is normally checked, when u disable it, click okays to get out of dialog boxes and check the sharing tab...u'll see manyyy more advanced options including permissions etc etc....try it out if u havent already done so.

-->
I searched a lot for the registry trick for this ..but could not find it, there is a utlity called MPTweak or media player tweak ...a powertoy by ms...well an option which makes the full screen controls only appear when the mouse pointer is at the top or bottom of the screen, not everytime the mouse pointer moves(a big irritant)...also has various options like
1)time out when until controls are hidden
2) time out until mouse pointer is hidden
3) transition style
4) transition speed
its basically a skin in Media player which somehow when changed to displays all these options...
available free from MS get it here
*download.microsoft.com/download/1/c/8/1c89697d-6354-4813-98da-e0dbb520de2c/WM9Powertoy_TweakMP.EXE
basically for WMP9 but also works with WMP10

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Here's how to launch any program directly from Start>Run

Go here in registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

Now create a new key of program you want to launch, for example Winamp.exe

Now in its Default String Value paste the path

C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winamp.exe

Done!

Now you can lauch progs like Winamp who's entries are not addred to run directly by Run command during installation...

Most of Windows Installer applications are by default written to launch directly from Run C\command but progs which comes with NSIS, Inno, Old version of WISE... don't write their entries to lauch directly from Run command...

So by the above tewak you can add an entry for your favorite program and launch it directly from Run command...

enjoy.

Gaurav

In the zone
Customizing Opera's context-menus :lol:

thought that this will be help for those using opera 7 ;) :) (found it on the opera's website.
What's this about?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Using Opera 7.x one is able to customize the rightclick menus. That in
mind it's possible to add a menu item for "Download using FlashGet".
First you need to know, that every kind of menu entry in Opera is
saved as plaintext in standard_menu.ini in the Opera defaults folder
(normally C:\Program Files\Opera7\defaults). So, we need to modify this
file in order to add our FlashGet menu extension.

Requirements
~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Opera 7.0 or above
- FlashGet 1.60 or above

Here we go!
~~~~~~~~~~~
1) Get the folder where Opera is installed. See the registry at

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Netscape\Netscape Navigator\5.0, Opera\Main]
"Install Directory"="C:\\Program Files\\Opera7"

From here on I will use %opera% instead of the whole path we got
from the registry since we need to save this info into a variable
to use it in our program.

ATTENTION! Be sure to not use this variable in any files we modify!
Always use the whole path we got from the registry. Otherwise it
will mess up your Opera installation!

2) Goto this folder and copy

%opera%\defaults\standard_menu.ini

to

%opera%\profile\menu\standard_menu.ini

3) Open this file with a text editor and change the following:

- change the name (line 7) into "Opera Standard with FlashGet extension"
- search for the categories

"[Link Popup Menu]" and "[Image Link Popup Menu]"

and add the following line to both categories:

Item, "Download using FlashGet" = Execute program, "C:\Program Files\FlashGet\flashget.exe","%l"

That is a lowercase L after the last %

- save the file and start Opera

4) Goto "File/Preferences/Toolbars and Menus". In newer versions
it's called "Extra's/Preferences/Toolbars and Menus" and highlight
the new entry "Opera Standard with FlashGet extension" in the field
"Menu setup"

5) Press "OK" and that's it! Now you can download link-targets (both
text- AND image-links) by right-clicking on a link and choose
"Download using FlashGet".

Hint:
~~~~~
You can skip 4) and 5) if you add the following line into section [User Prefs]
of the file %opera%\profile\opera6.ini

Menu Configuration=%opera%\profile\menu\standard_menu.ini

This can easily be done using Nullsoft's NSIS Installer 2.0.
Get it from www.nullsoft.com

Legal
~~~~~
This tutorial has been written by ACiD StOUt from DJS Productions Inc.
Copyright 2004 DJS Productions Inc.
www.acidstout.tk
All rights reserved.

Thilak

Broken In
Fast shut down and restart

Hai ,

Do it and save ur time ,

Fast Shutdown and/or Restart From Quick Launch Buttons
------------------------------------------------------------
This tip will enable you to create buttons in your quick launch toolbar to quickly and easily shut down and/or restart your computer.

1. Right click on your desktop, scroll to new..... shortcut
2. In the location line, for shutdown type; shutdown -s -t 0 ie: shutdown(space)-s(space)-t(space)number zero
3. Name the shortcut "Shut Down PC" or whatever u want
4. The new shortcut is now sitting on your desktop, right click on it and go to properties, then click on "change icon". Click OK, then pick a suitable icon, there is a red "off button" icon available, then click apply and ok.
5. Now drag the icon from your desktop into the quick launch toolbar, resize the toolbar so all the buttons are visible, then delete the shortcut from your desktop.

To create a restart button the location line should read shutdown -r -t 0 name it restart pc and give it a suitable icon for restart.

Now you can shut down or restart your pc in 1 mouse click without having to go through the startup menu.
THILAK

vcrl82

Right off the assembly line
Best Tweaking Tool 4 ur System

WINner Tweak SE-2

WINner Tweak is a tools suite for tweaking, optimizing and tuning of Windows 2000/XP. It helps you increase performance and manage your system using various tweaks and utilities for settings including Windows, Hardware, Security, Network and Software. In addition to the tweaks, the program also offers several additional tools (Power Utilities) that include a Disk Cleaner, Registry Cleaner, Shortcut Cleaner, Uninstall manager, File Shredder, Start-up Manager, Popup Blocker, Password Generator, and a Folder Protector to prevent access to selected folders.

Ashish

Broken In
I don't know about hardware but i am using flexy and system mechanic for tweaking hidden features in win98.
They are easy and quite powerful to use.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
To change the 10 second wait before every disk check ( that occurs after imporper shutdown ) in WinXP

in command promt type

Code:
chkntfs/t:(time)
replace (time) by watever number of seconds u want it to wait
ie. for 5 sec wait .. type chkntfs/t:5

-----
alibi

swatkat

Technomancer
kavin said:
to pin the taskmanager to your desktop ,
Double click on the side if window :D
whatever it is...i think the bold lettered word above should have been of and not if,a typo error...may be..!!

theraven

Technomancer
hehehe this isnt soo much a trick
actually when u open the task manager there is this inner thick border outlining the tasks that u can see
if u double click this ur outer border and the file menu , tabs etc disappear
do this to play a trick on someone :p
the task manager appears empty !!
try it out

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
ohh :)
i was able to make out that its a "of" not "if"
but cudnt understand wat is the 'trick' .. LOL

do one thing
1st maximize the task manager
and then dbl click on border ...
the whole screen is occupied by task manager
____
alibi

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
kavin said:
to pin the taskmanager to your desktop ,
Double click on the side of window :D

You know what .. I have actually answered many questions reqarding How to bring back Task Manager to its usual appearance after it becomes so ..

Cant understand its utility though ..

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Disk Defragmentation....................... Yeah!!
It is really troublesome to manage disk defragmentation. Yeah, it is, until you download Perfect Disk from Raxco.com. It will take very long on your first defragmentation, but after files are arranged once, defragmentation becomes real easy. The program is a 30 day trial version until you buy it. If you don't want to buy, warez sites are always there but i don't encourage such activities.
Defragmentor Premium, on the other hand is a file defragmentor, which can defragment your page files and all other system files that can't be done by a regular defragmenter. It does the job in boottime. It is worth trying. Get it from www.defragmentor.com.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Before Defragmentation, you would like to make sure that your Disk is defragmented so that you get better performance plus your disk does not get fragmented quickly.(for XP Users)

Follow these easy steps to make sure that you get most out of tedious Disk Defragmentation.

>>Clean your disk with 'Windows Disk Cleaner' (Accessories>SystemTools>DiskCleaner) or use program such as DustBuster XP which is a freeware and a 78 K download.

>>Clean all unnecessary System Restore Points. You can do this by going to Accessories>SystemTools>DiskCleaner and under the 'More Options' tab, click on the 'Cleanup Button' below System Restore. This will clean all but the latest restore point.

>>Use Smart Defragmentation softwares such as O&O Defrag , Diskeeper or Perfect Disk. Use perfect disk to make sure that your disk fragments slowly. It may take long the first time you defragment, but later, it will be real easy to defragment and will take a very short time. Perfect Disk (shareware) also provides offline defragmentation which defragments folders, system files and pagefile during boot. Defragmenting system files will really boost your system performance if you have small sized HDD or have lesser space available.

>>You may also use file defragmentation programs such as 'Defragmentor Premium' which is a shareware. It defragments files to make them contigious. This is a very quick method of defragmentation and really helps in boosting performance. Defragmentor Premium also defragments system files and page files. Rapid File Defragmenotr is also a quick file defragmentation program but does not support offline defragmentation.

>>Registry defragmentation programs such as Registry Compactor and Advanced Registry Optimizer also can help.

Top Bottom