Serious suggestions for Laptop required

ppratik99

Right off the assembly line
Hello Geeks,

Its been a month now and I am still confused in making a final decision for buying a laptop.

I do need a 1GB dedicated Graphic card for games and graphic oriented work.

I have following options which I have short listed for myself.

DELL XPS 15 - Generally has overheating issue Nvidia 550v

HP PRO BOOK - All well except the ati HD 6370 card.

SONY VAIO E series - Not heard much.. but battery problem and a bit delicate. - ATI 5650 :)

All lappys come with a same config
i5, 500GB, 4GB, 1GB with 15.6" screen.

Your time and suggestions are appreciated..

Any other suggestions are also welcome..
Thanks

pauldmps

Banned
You did not specify your budget.

I was looking for a budget gaming laptop & I found Lenovo Y560 to be a quite VFM. 1GB ATI 5730, i5, 500GB, 4GB, 15.6" screen should cost you less than 50k.

DELL XPS 15 has Nvidia 420M & not 550v (which is an ATI card, BTW). It is currently out of stock (to be replaced by sandy-bridge ones).

OP
P

ppratik99

Hey pauldmps,

Thanks for correcting..
My budget is around 45K..

As far as the Lonovo is concerned, how is it working for you? I have heard the over heating issue is more with Lenovo and Dell than HP and SONY..

I accept that I have very less knowledge about LENOVO.

FYI: The GPU LENOVO gave with the machine you specified is almost similar to the one I am getting with SONY VAIO E series - ATI HD 5650.

Let me know your further views and suggestions..

Thanks

pauldmps

Banned
I haven't purchased the laptop yet (maybe in 2-3 months).

Around 45k, you can pick up the i3 version of the Lenovo Y560 (rest specs are same). You'll miss only the slight turbo-boost.

I had read many reviews about the Y560 & nowhere anyone complained about heating. However, there were some issues with the laptop's display when it was released last year which has been rectified by now( Please confirm that with a dealer).

Regarding the GPU's, the HD 5730 outperforms both GT-420M & HD 5650 by a slight margin in gaming benchmarks according to notebookcheck.com

See this: Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Tick the GPU's you want to compare & then click on "restrict".

Also I have this laptop in mind (not yet released), but I don't think the price is correct by any means. Such a powerful config (sandy-bridge i5 with 2GB Nvidia GT-525M) doesn't seem to have a 45k pricetag as quoted by the site.
Lenovo ideapad Z570 Price India – Buy Lenovo ideapad Z570 Laptop Price in India

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

By Sony Vaio, do you mean this ?: VPCEB46FG : E Series : VAIO™ Laptop & Computer : Sony India

The specs are impressive but I'll divulge into more details & let you know. Since I'm going to get a laptop soon, this research will help me too.

f2006_mikearun

Hello,
I too was looking to buy a laptop with a similar budget of under 45k INR.
The basic requirements are as follows:-
i3 or i5 processsor (would i5 be any better than i3?)
15'' screen
500 GB HDD
512 MB or 1GB GPU (i3 config doesn't come with 1 GB GPU)
4GB Ram

After detailed research of many models, my confusion is whether to go for Lenovo Ideapad Z560 series or Dell Inspiron 15R series. Kindly help me out here.

BTW how are Sony Vaio models compared to the above two with the same config?

Thank you.

pauldmps

Banned
Better get the Y560. It has 1GB HD 5730 with i3. Also it is bigger 15.6". It should cost you about 46k.

Sony Vaio models of same config are costlier, have poor build quality & even poorer battery life. Only they look good from outside.

f2006_mikearun

Better get the Y560. It has 1GB HD 5730 with i3. Also it is bigger 15.6". It should cost you about 46k.

Sony Vaio models of same config are costlier, have poor build quality & even poorer battery life. Only they look good from outside.

Y560 doesn't come with i3 anymore (atleast according to the indian website here)

Lenovo - Laptop computers - IdeaPad - Y Series - India(IN)

Would be ideal for to get a laptop for the price you mentioned with i3, 4GB Ram & 1GB GPU (Lenovo of course).

How about Dell T541109in8 with i5 processor which comes to about 42,300 cheaper than Lenovo Y or Z series!

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
i found Probook better also acc. to cost.. its simple and decent looks, better keyboard also it belongs to the corporate series..
probook and Elitebook both are good.

pauldmps

Banned
Y560 doesn't come with i3 anymore (atleast according to the indian website here)

Lenovo - Laptop computers - IdeaPad - Y Series - India(IN)

Would be ideal for to get a laptop for the price you mentioned with i3, 4GB Ram & 1GB GPU (Lenovo of course).

How about Dell T541109in8 with i5 processor which comes to about 42,300 cheaper than Lenovo Y or Z series!

I beg to differ:

Lenovo Ideapad Y Series Y560 Core i3 / 4 GB / 500 GB / Win 7 HP Laptop Price India: Buy Lenovo Ideapad Y Series Notebook India: Flipkart.com

The site is showing only a select models & prices are higher than market price.
See the price of i5 model here:
I think it is wise to go for the i5 for 2k more.
*www.flipkart.com/computers/laptops/lenovo/ideapad-series-y560-59-051026-comcv7z9djjazcbh

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Update: It seems that Dell is refreshing their Inspiron 14R series.

The i3 model now comes with ATI HD 5650 instead of the horribly outdated HD 550v.
All other models are still stuck on hd 550v but that should change soon.

f2006_mikearun

I beg to differ:

Lenovo Ideapad Y Series Y560 Core i3 / 4 GB / 500 GB / Win 7 HP Laptop Price India: Buy Lenovo Ideapad Y Series Notebook India: Flipkart.com

The site is showing only a select models & prices are higher than market price.
See the price of i5 model here:
I think it is wise to go for the i5 for 2k more.
Lenovo Ideapad Y Series Y560 Core i5 / 4GB / 500 GB / Win 7 HP Laptop Price India: Buy Lenovo Ideapad Y Series Notebook India: Flipkart.com

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Update: It seems that Dell is refreshing their Inspiron 14R series.

The i3 model now comes with ATI HD 5650 instead of the horribly outdated HD 550v.
All other models are still stuck on hd 550v but that should change soon.

Thanks for the "Flipkart" link. But i'm not inclined to buy it online especially from a 3rd party site. I'll go visit a few dealers in my city and find out if they have Y560 with i3 configuration (more inclined than ever to buy a lenovo now!)

Btw, is there any major difference b/w Y560 and Z560 models apart from the "GPU make" (ATI and Nvidia for the latter). Cos if all the other specs remain the same (entry level graphics in laptops wont make much difference) why is that Y560 is priced about 5k more than Z560?

Also I'd like to know which of the two's keyboard is better (from a general point of view)? And since there's no numpad in Y560 series, will that make a huge difference in everyday use (as i havn't used a laptop often till now, would that be an added advantage?)

If i had more time I'd have waited for the sandy-bridge models of XPS to come. But uncertain of the price tag and reliability issues to be sorted out i would go for whatever is available now :)

pauldmps

Banned
First of all, Flipkart is an excellent site. The prices there might be lower there than the market. But I'd recommend that you get a hands-on with the device at a shop before buying it anywhere be it shop or online.

The HD 5730 is a much better GPU than the Nvidia. This is why the price is higher.

About the numpad, that depends on personal preference.

One important issue that I want to bring to your notice : When the Y560 was a launched last year, it had some weird issues with the screen. These things have been dealt-with by now but make sure that with a dealer before you proceed for the purchase.

The Sandy-bridge processors should arrive (at least for Dell) by the end of this month.

One request I would like to make to you:

If you buy this laptop (or any other), then please let me know the price you paid & your satisfaction levels with the product. That will help me a lot.

Top Bottom