Seller at Amazon asks for IMEI number after delivery.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
A woman claiming to call from a seller named "Univercell" is asking for IMEI number of my newly delivered BlackBerry Curve 9220. I checked her number, it does appear to be of Univercell a their website univercell.in. I am suspicious about this request whether it is O.K. to give your IMEI number. Is this not unusual? Is it safe to give them the IMEI number?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
better contact email support & mention subject as possible fraud & impersonation to get their attention & until you get a clear reply don't give emei & next time when call comes ask for email from universall official address.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
That IMEI number is probably required for warranty registration.. But it's better to be safe than sorry.. thats why do as whitestar said

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I think this is rule now by TRAI that vendors should not the buyer name,cell-no and also the IMEI...
I did the same while purchasing a new cell-phone from a shop...

but u can ask "Why" to the CC

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
well whenever u buy mobiles at local stores they also note in on bill followed by a carbon copy... so no big deal...

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
well whenever u buy mobiles at local stores they also note in on bill followed by a carbon copy... so no big deal...
yeah, well that is an eye opener :-D. checked my old phone's bill which i purchased from local store & imei number was indeed handwritten by the retailer.
now the concern is the authenticity of the caller which seems legit , i called another number mentioned & she said they needed it to cross check their records.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Yes, as Rohan wrote above, retailers note down the IMEI no. of the cell purchased on the bill too. confirm her identity and ask politely why she needs it, and then tread ahead. don't worry. :)

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
yeah, well that is an eye opener :-D. checked my old phone's bill which i purchased from local store & imei number was indeed handwritten by the retailer.
now the concern is the authenticity of the caller which seems legit , i called another number mentioned & she said they needed it to cross check their records.

Yup that's for record & warranty related stuff.... Don't worry at all.. My friend has mobile shoppe, they also need it for sending phones in service centers if customer is not ready/far away to visit CC.
Also Shop owners has every bills carbon copy with them with thousands of IMEI's... ;)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
some are printed & some handwritten...and this is also applicable for any computer device u buy even the serial no is mentioned in the bill....reason: warranty & tracking invoice details

Top Bottom