Seasonic vs Corsair

r4gs

In the zone
I need a new PSU.

Seasonic s12II 520W

or

Corsair vx550

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between the 2.

I am not able to find the exact specs of the seasonic as some places i find that it supposedly has 3x12vrails@18A and in some places it has 2x12V rails @20A. Some guys are saying 3yr warranty, others say 5.

The corsair has a 1x12V rail @41A with 5yr warranty.

My GTX275 needs 40A.

Also, the price difference between the 2 supplies varies from rs500 to rs1000.
Is there a reason why the corsair is so much more expensive despite the seasonic having better specs on paper?

PLease help.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
my god, you are running GTX275 with cooler master xtreme 600W?!!! please make your decision quickly. I would prefer corsair.

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
@cool buddy:- My sentiments exactly. I actually got an upgrade to a 275 when my older card got spoilt. I was initially excited, till i saw the power requirements.
:)

So corsair it is then. VX550 here I come.

I need a new PSU.

Seasonic s12II 520W

or

Corsair vx550

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between the 2.

I am not able to find the exact specs of the seasonic as some places i find that it supposedly has 3x12vrails@18A and in some places it has 2x12V rails @20A. Some guys are saying 3yr warranty, others say 5.

The corsair has a 1x12V rail @41A with 5yr warranty.

My GTX275 needs 40A.

Also, the price difference between the 2 supplies varies from rs500 to rs1000.
Is there a reason why the corsair is so much more expensive despite the seasonic having better specs on paper?

PLease help.

hey hi this is venkat....me a victim every looks like......but problem is i bought a system with cooler master extrem powerplus 600 w psu with it.

but hee i am for asking about what is your experience with it....how good\bad it is?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
hey hi this is venkat....me a victim every looks like......but problem is i bought a system with cooler master extrem powerplus 600 w psu with it.
but hee i am for asking about what is your experience with it....how good\bad it is?
corsair VX series can be bought blindfolded....
dats how much it is trusted.....
also nothin wrong in seasonic also..but corsair is mostly preferred...

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@cool buddy:- My sentiments exactly. I actually got an upgrade to a 275 when my older card got spoilt. I was initially excited, till i saw the power requirements.
:)

So corsair it is then. VX550 here I come.

Please do not game, till the PSU is not replaced. The GTX275 is one hell of a power guzzler.

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
@venkat: my psu worked perfectly for more than a year till a massive power surge damaged it. no problems at all otherwise.

@everyone else: do not worry about gaming, i get to use the pc once in 6 months and i have not used the 275 since the time i got it. its just sitting in a vaccum sealed box waiting to see daylight!

i'll probably be getting a 700w antec or corsair now. upped the budget a bit.

pegasus

Journeyman
one word corsair though corsair's PSU OEM is sesonic..its their A.S.S&their warranty..
Not all Corsair PSUs are Seasonic oem.
Most of them now are Corsair's own design but built by CWT iirc. :)
Apart from the lesser warranty of 3 yrs as against 5 years on Corsair, does Seasonic or its distributor offer replacement warranty too?
Replacement warranty is a very big plus imho. :)

Last edited:

rajan1311

Padawan
why not invest in a modular PSU since you have upped your budget?
Get the seasonic X650, one of the best modular PSUs in the market....

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
i'm thinking of something a bit more powerful. in the vicinity of 800w or so. it will give me some headroom for future upgrades.

how are antec and tagan?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
i'm thinking of something a bit more powerful. in the vicinity of 800w or so. it will give me some headroom for future upgrades.

how are antec and tagan?

What all you plan to install, that you are getting such a powerfull PSU.

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
well, first i need to dump the c2d and get an i7. i will need another hdd so raid too. new mobo, sound card, sli with a reasonable card (slower card for physx).

it'll be step by step. first i need a psu and hdd. mobo, ram, cpu and g card will all be done later. probably after the latest lineup of hardware hits the market.

OP
r4gs

r4gs

In the zone
budget permitting, nvidia's latest mid range
cards at the time i purchase, with the 275. otherwise something like the 9800gt.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
with that PSU you can go for 3 way Xfire/SLI. so better not waste so much money on a PSU. get a good one but not a PSU thats over-overkill. put those money on adding performance ram or HSF.

Top Bottom