Seagate 1 TB vs WD Black 1 TB, which one?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
I will buy a HD on Monday. I see that the Seagate 1 TB 6 GB/s has 'better' specs than WD Black 1 TB 6 GB/s. Am I right? The Seagate has lower latency, higher transfer rate, slightly lower power consumption etc. So may I know which one should I get?

Seagate:
Desktop Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s 4TB HDD Capacity | Seagate

WD:
WD Black

PS: There is no budget limitation.

Saurav.

sumalatha

Banned
I will buy a HD on Monday. I see that the Seagate 1 TB 6 GB/s has 'better' specs than WD Black 1 TB 6 GB/s. Am I right? The Seagate has lower latency, higher transfer rate, slightly lower power consumption etc. So may I know which one should I get?

Seagate:
Desktop Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s 4TB HDD Capacity | Seagate

WD:
WD Black

PS: There is no budget limitation.

Saurav.

WD Black 1TB @ 6000 is your best bet.

Look man, when it comes to comparing HDD to HDD, I just choose the cheapest. You wont get dramatic performance increase with WD Black. If the price difference between WD Black 2 TB (black is available only in 1 TB and 2 TB capacities) and seagate Barracuda is negligible, then get the black, else, get the cheaper of the two.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Get the one which has given you the least trouble till now,
if thats the same amount, then get the one with more warranty,
if thats same as well, get the cheaper one,

Irrespective of which one you get, do two things from day one of installation and usage -

Backup and Pray!

Myth

Cyborg Agent
WD Black 1TB @ 6000 is your best bet.
WB Black is around 5.5k

May I know why pal?
Even I like WD better than Seagate, but those specs..!

Look man, when it comes to comparing HDD to HDD, I just choose the cheapest. You wont get dramatic performance increase with WD Black. If the price difference between WD Black 2 TB (black is available only in 1 TB and 2 TB capacities) and seagate Barracuda is negligible, then get the black, else, get the cheaper of the two.
I think seagate has a 3 year warranty or so.
WD Black has 5 years warranty and WD service is way better than Seagate or any other HDD brand for that matter. Personally, those two reasons are enough. Consider the extra price as an warranty extension fee.

Cilus

laborare est orare
But don't get the WD Caviar Green HDD. If not WD Caviar Black, at least opt for the WD Blue series.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
But don't get the WD Caviar Green HDD. If not WD Caviar Black, at least opt for the WD Blue series.

He's getting the Black version only as the thread title suggests. BTW, Cilus, do you know if WD Red ones are available at Vedant?

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Sorry, it was not M.D., but ITdepot.
Theitdepot - Buy Western Digital Red 1TB SATA Internal Desktop NAS Hard Drive (WD10EFRX) online in india

Is it better than Black?

Better? Some say yes; Me? I don't know any more about these spinning circles - don't trust any of them, irrespective of color, race, price, gender, lineage etc.

Looks like the red ones have 3 yrs warranty, are more expensive and targeted more towards SOHO NAS/RAID...stick to Black, I suggest.

OP
ithehappy

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Okay, bought it. But I need to know what is this part and what cable I should plug here? I'm talking about the 8 pin socket, the one I marked in Blue. And the other ones I marked, have I marked them right?
Sorry, for this noob query, but last time I installed a HD was more than 5 years back :p

Attachments

• 2013-03-25 20.48.34.jpg
    2013-03-25 20.48.34.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 110

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Okay, bought it. But I need to know what is this part and what cable I should plug here? I'm talking about the 8 pin socket, the one I marked in Blue. And the other ones I marked, have I marked them right?
Sorry, for this noob query, but last time I installed a HD was more than 5 years back :p

Like Myth said, just align and connect power and sata cable and you are good to go.

Top Bottom