SE Xperia Arc

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
Nice Review! :D

The format of review is quite interesting!! The phone is quite interesting as well.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota

Would like to add another point that I got the phone from Abu Dhabi, UAE (Middle East). I have seen that some people have not received the update here. It may be attributed to the region in which the device was sold or purchased.

Editing the main post to convey the same.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Update: The lag associated with opening Messages and Contacts is getting too annoying. Its unbearable now. A 1Ghz proc cant handle such basic tasks. Such a pity.

Anyone else facing similar problems on their Xperia Arc?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Update: The lag associated with opening Messages and Contacts is getting too annoying. Its unbearable now. A 1Ghz proc cant handle such basic tasks. Such a pity.

Anyone else facing similar problems on their Xperia Arc?

Thats sad:sad:...I was waiting for Arc price to come down...

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Every phone has its share of problems. Let me see if I need to fix something before making it a standard problem plaguing this device.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I would do well to accept my stupidity here.

Just checked my internal memory and it showed 10MB free of the 320MB available. I transferred all the rouge apps into my SD card( wallpapers, games, etc) and that freed up almost 180MB. Now its a breeze and there is no lag at all. Infact its as fast and fluidic as it can get.

:-?

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
The Android 2.3.42.3.3 (again :-? ) update is here. Just updated my phone.

From the first minute I can see many UI changes.
~The Messages icon now has a unread message counter (number showing number of unread msgs)
~The icons have been tweaked or changed
~The animations have changed. Better and cooler now.
~The messages now have a different lighter (almost turquoise) background.
~Names appear slightly bigger. Text in general, especially for names everywhere appears bigger.
~New theme option in menu

Just noticed its not 2.3.4 but an update within 2.3.3 itself. Waiting for the 2.3.4 update now, which has been released in certain parts of the world.

Obsolete: The v2.3.4 update brings video Google Chat, a new 3D panorama camera feature, a swipe text input system, screen capture and further enhancements to Facebook inside Xperia.

sanithkk81

Broken In
I am really confused over xperia arc and xperia arc s. Xperia arc's price has come down to Rs.22k and xperia arc s is overpriced Rs.28k!:shock: For Rs.28k I can get dual core phone itself but I am spell bounded by xperia's design and camera features. I would like to know whether processor speed b/w of xperia arc s and arc is huge? and will it affect the running multiple apps, casual gaming like angry birds etc and watching movies? So should I buy xperia arc itself and do the manual software upgrade to android 2.3.3 or consider its predecessor ? :-|

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Well at this juncture I would advise you to skip the xperia arc or the arc S (at 28k)

The arc is a little laggy. You can root it and remove bloat to make it fast but I didn't go through all that. The Xperia arc S is faster and is better.

But casual games, videos and multiple apps all run fine in mine. As far as apps are concerned it's pretty good since most apps don'e really need all that power.

Having said that I would suggest you go for the xperia S which is to be realeased in a short time. If you don't mind Samsung then you can get the SGS2 but it doesn't look premium especially in comparison to the xperia or an iphone despite costing as much.

Straight up, wait for the Xperia S Xperiaâ„¢ S | HD mobile - Sony smartphone

Opened this up ;) > *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/mobile-monsters/151632-sony-xperia-s-discussion-thread.html

R2K

In the Zone
I'm also planning to get xperia arc S. But the internal memory is just 320mb which will get frustrating in long run..i guess
Looked for samsung SGR but most of the stupid sales people doesn't even know about that model. (Majority of them only know about Nokia or Blackberry stuff)
Also Samsung's build quality looks cheap at certain angles.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I think "Internal Memory" and "RAM" are more important than proc (as long as it's 1Ghz or more)

Yes it will be a problem. 320MB is too less. But the Arc S has more I guess. It's not the same as Arc. Check once.

R2K

In the Zone
Finally Purchased a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S yesterday. I have to admit that things are way too different from my nokia 5800 Xm and nokia 5530 Xm. But I couldn't find any lag in the android phone as many here were complaining. Maybe its because I'm used to the awesome lag that came pre-bundled with my nokia phones. Or maybe its because of the 1.4 Ghz processor.
Only problems that I could find were
1.Although it is ridiculously slim the phone is pretty large due to its 4.2 inch screen. I couldn't find a pouch for it because of that. Also difficult to carry
2.Wifi seems pretty weak. But I have not played with it much.
3.It managed to burn a considerably large hole in my pocket

BTW suggest some must have softwares for the phone. Also sites that provide info on the phone/android stuff will be great.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I paid 32k for the original arc, talk about burning a hole :p

Yea, WiFi is very weak

A pouch comes bundled with the phone.

For apps go to the Android section

Finally CONGRATS! :D

------------------------

If you happen to root it then let us into the results here :)

I tried and failed once :oops:

R2K

In the Zone
^^
I did not get any pouch with the phone.(BTW I brought the phone from Dubai)
Also is it necessary to put a screen protector on the phone ( Is the glass actually scratch resistant as mentioned on GSM Arena website) ?

Top Bottom