Scientists rush to sequence deadly new E. coli strain

sygeek

Technomancer

Full Article link

*static.arstechnica.net/assets/2011/06/sequencing-e.coli-flickr-thumb-640xauto-22257.jpg​

Europe is currently suffering through what has now become the most deadly outbreak of E. coli bacteria on record. Although strains of this bacteria reside harmlessly in our guts (and in molecular biology labs around the world), others have picked up genes that enable them to resist antibiotics and cause hemorrhaging. That seems to be the case with the strain that's causing problems in Europe, as the first characterizations of the bacteria suggests they belong to a strain that was previously not on epidemiologists' radar screens.

The spread of the infection, which is centered in Germany, is being tracked by the World Health Organization's European branch and Eurosurveillance . As of today, health authorities have identified 1,733 cases in Germany, 17 of which have been fatal. About 90 additional cases have been reported in 11 other countries, and one of those was fatal; that's enough to make this the most lethal E. coli outbreak yet.
Isolate the Europe, and fill it with a poisonous gas so as to destroy this deadly bacteria (and the people). That's how the Government works, doesn't it? Only this time, they may be limited as they have to do it on a large scale and publicly.

Sarath

iDota
Even I read this today. Seems scary. The newer ones are getting more and more resistant. The way these things are mutating soon there will be no more drugs that can fight them.

Will find that article if I can. Super sticky super resistant E.Coli invasion is scary.

Here german-outbreak-caused-by-mutant-super+glue-producing-strain-of-e-coli

Escherichia Coli is a nasty bug. It attaches to your intestines and produces a toxin that makes you sick. The toxin causes vomiting and diarrhea, but, in extreme cases, it attacks the kidneys and causes a deadly trio of coma, seizures and strokes. This new, mutant strain produces the deadly form of the toxin and a rare super-glue that helps the bug adhere to your intestines with a force never seen before in E. Coli.

*fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/06/ecoli6211.jpg

Gollum

Collector
survival of the fittest. them brits may finally get what they deserve but we may get it too. being one of the most dirty countries in asia. but the dirty ness only makes us stronger.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
^^^ Well its not just the British..its whole of Europe centralized around Germany.

But i believe humans will always always find antidode for anything. The war has always being going on between germs and humans.
but though it takes time humans ultimately thrives.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
It is always a cat and mouse game between pathogens and treatments. And pathogens usually win. They have evolved against the available treatments. They divide very fast and sooner or later one of them mutates and gives rise to clones of resistant cells. More often than not these pathogens are a result of Antibiotic abuse and they usually evolve in hospitals and spread out from there.
(I am a Microbiologist)

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
That's where my id comes from. But correct spelling is bacillus. I just use baccilus everywhere.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Biology have always given me nightmares.
And reading that article was like a scary dream coming true... :blink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom