Scientists develop new CPU with 1,000 cores on a single chip

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
The Scientist have developed this which makes a PC 20X faster than current gen PCs...

More info here(Source) :

Scientists unveil '1,000-core' computer chip which would make desktop machines 20 times faster | Mail Online

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
very promising but I was wondering about the heat generation and power consumption and at what speed it would run and which OS would be able to run it anyway but as it might make it's presence in the market a few years later mulmedia apps and pc related works would be more resource hungry by then so it may not remain 20x faster at that time and amd and intel will come up with more powerful cpu by then anyway.

@ KaranTh85 - thanks for sharing the news buddy.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Which instruction set? Is it x86? And it's difficult to port/write software utilizing all these cores, so moot point.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol, I don't give a damn. It's something which might be used in super computers etc. It is not for us.

anand1

In the zone
Yes it is really a challenging task to develop such multicore processor, now no one can keep technology stand-still. technoogy will fly n fly.................

RBX

In the zone
I think there have been many processors with huge amount of cores in the past as well but they are pointless in current scenario where many of the apps fail to make use of more than one core. That processor is likely to fail against an old Pentium 4 processor with software currently available.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
make a 1000 core processor having the same transistor count that of a Core i7 990X & the same processor fails to run a simple game or a single threaded apps (to keep TDP within limit, clock speed must be brought down, unless using sub-32nm technology or using LN2 cooler). this processor is just an experiment & will continue to be an experiment until Intel & AMD thinks there is a need for so many cores.

it may debut in CES 2018-2020 or IDF of around same time.

Top Bottom