Say Bye Bye To China Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
rosemolr

rosemolr

Journeyman
^^ Agree With iron man's statement coz..i'am quiet satisfied with ma lenovo lappy..it just rocks..especially in the case of stability and battery backup

iChaitanya

Journeyman
^^ I agree with the above two posts.

Not all Chinese products are of bad / low quality. But this applies only to those cheapo mobile and some other cheapo electronics like that.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yeah its a great time to buy china phones. I picked one up just for the music. Its a very cheap investment when it comes to carrying around portable music. Two batteries, and they last long. But the phone is of terrible quality. Not the sound, everything else. I wish they hadn't tried to put so many things into the phone. Like do away with the touchscreen and put in a good speaker or something.
Anyway, I think that they are banning china phones because here the quality difference does not make people think too much... no matter how much worse the quality is, if you are moving through 2 phones a year or something, people are bound to buy china phones, and this just put a lot of pressure on the manufacturers. Seen their ads lately?
I think its a good thing. But remember that a lot of phones are manufactured in china, they have something for all markets. Just wish they could come out with really loud portable mp3 players for something like two grand. That would be awesome.

Without a touchscreen.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Anorion said:
Just wish they could come out with really loud portable mp3 players for something like two grand.
I am somewhat against this. It implies that one is bound to meet a half-headed idiot around the corner who just doesnt feel like wearing his earphone. Am totally against noise/loudness in portable devices. Despite them having good quality sound, I both love/hate them for the loudness. :neutral:

BTW as you have the phone; could you spare some time to write a good review on it? Covering all the essentials. MOST of us are unaware about the chinses phones. It'll be much appreciated if you could help us with the truth. .. :)

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
the good stuff>
-The sound. Good on long outdoor trips, like a trek, to listen to music, and let a lot of other people listen to the music.
-The two sim cards is VERY helpful

The really really bad stuff>
-The USB chord does not work, and there is no way to find the driver, as the phone does not have a brand.
-The navigtion is confusing and buggy, like the shutdown option in vista is a submenu away - the same here, everything is in a sub sub sub sub menu, so you have to navigate through a lot of options before you get something done
-the touchscreen is horrible, and the phone cannot differentiate between a t, an r and a y when you are using the touchscreen to compose a message.
-the minimum volume setting for the ringtone is LOUD, so you cannot use it in a workplace, or anywhere else for that matter unless you want to startle people
-All the games in the phone are some obscure chinese games
-the default settings in the SMS are chinese charechters
-This is probably the most irritating - calls are dropped, missed calls dont show up, and outgoing calls suddenly end for no reason
-the feathertouch keypad is very irritating, if you hold the phone against your ear, the phone presses keys at random. Once I was calling a friend, and my GnR callertune got changed to some bollywood song I had never heard
-the usb connection used is its own lame@** propriety thing, and the contacts are pretty cheap. THe charger got spoilt in less than a week, and you have to stick to the substandard earphones, as better ones are not available in the market for that kind of a connection.

I brought it only because I trek regularly and its great to listen to in the outdoors. Its LOUD.

IronManForever

^^ Oh! Well. My friends phone has a good keypad. And with it there's mini-USB. Also there's an onscreen keyboard so you dont have to depend on the lousy handwriting recognition.. recognition is bad as you say? maybe because the processors, ram are too less..

I understand that as you were unable to connect it with a PC; few things could not be checked.
How about video playback? How about high bitrate (320kbps) mp3s? How about GPRS, were you able to configure it manually?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Recognition is horrible. This is just the software. Nice and proper o's come out as e's. I cannot see how the confusion can happen. Talk time is 4.5 hours on my battery, stand by time is 36 hours. There are two batteries in the box though. This varies heavily between models though, the specs on the box don't match the specs of the model. I am not sure if I got the right box too.

The screen is pretty bad, but it can handle high bitrate videos. The videos have to be stored in the video folder for the thing to work. The same goes for songs and other media files as well. The phone can handle a hour and a half long mp3 file without any effort. Starts up smoothly, and plays back smoothly too. That's a definate plus point.

One bad thing I forgot to mention - the camera is horrible. There is even a fake camera in the front just for show or kicks or whatever. Really really bad camera.

GPRS works, can be configured, but there is a very strange browser, so I discontinued. There is no option to put in any software or anything.

My recommendation== even for the sound, by an XpressMusic or sonyerricson walkman phones. Don't buy a china unless you want something particularly loud.

IronManForever

^^ Nah, aint buying any of those sh1t! :p Why did you in first place? You could have got yourself a nice Nokia although with low features.

Camera is VGA in most models. Though the pixels are extrapolated in most to give 1.3MP, 2MP pictures. I even saw a 5MP one with true VGA resolution, online. :shock:
GPRS works? Good Though. And yeah, with no JAVA and such a browser; GPRS is pretty much useless other than e-mails. Heard that due to limited resources; even loading a web-page (like the td forum) is very very laggy and unusable?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
It's better not to fall for these, instead get a good phone from reputed brand. :)
These days you can get a really good phone at Rs.5k.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
abt a year ago......i got a mp3.mp4 player -chinese for around 1000........it had its box written with 4GB memory capacity......even the vendor showed in xplorer was4gb..............i donno after a month.........when i formatted the player memory.......it showed just 218MB.........damn i was cheated.........donno by some trick player initially showed the capacity as 4GB...........after formatting become 218MB!!

as usual the quality is liitle awful...........but if luck persists these product work good..........it doesn;t recognize specific bitrates........the usb cable is mysterious
.........once my player display started blinking.........the after connecting to usb................became nornal(low battery prob)

atleast 1 repair has to be surely done for these products

u will have good adventure with chinese products

hmm......this is how china mal survvvive.........by cheating

IronManForever

^^ Well I have had great experiences with chinese MP3/WMA and PMPs.

I have one 128 MB MP3 (they are called s1 mp3's ) thats working since last 4 years.

I also used a PMP with video/music player, FM Radio, 1.3MP camera, QVGA video recording, external stereo speakers, support for 2 headphones, 2 pieces of earphones, 2 batteries bundled, miniUSB datacable, charger, 2.6inch QVGA Screen, E-Book reader with support for *.txt and *.pwi. 512 MB inbuilt, SD Card support. Thats with my sister right now. 2 years used with absolutely no problems. And trust me, sound quality aint bad as everybody likes to yell about.

The thing is, when such stuff were originally introduced in the grey market here, the ones available were of good quality. But NOW, all the lot is filled with seri0us crAp. :x

I mean, the look/feel of the chinese mp3s and mp4s that were available a few years ago has entirely changed. I can hold a chinese mp3 and tell whether its good or not; they simply dont have the good plastic, paint, weight(important factor) that a good product could have. And trust me, it wasnt the same story earlier... :neutral:

OP
rosemolr

rosemolr

Journeyman
which is their target to sell all these things in bulk..how the retailers get all these crappy products without tax,bill blah blah...sometimes i used to wonder about it..it might be some kind of smuggling..once ma bro told me singapore is also their target place to dump all these craps

xtremegforce

Broken In
that's a pretty good move by the gov. should have been done a long time back. These phones do provide a lot of attractive feature set compared to the Branded one but thee\re are a lot of safety issues which have been sidelined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom