Saved by Vista's Previous Versions !!! Phew

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
:shock: When i checked my pictures folder right now, i found one of my folder with 430 images missing!!
I was sharing my pics with a friend online today, and deleted a few images from the root of my pictures folder. Must have accidently deleted the folder then.

OMG, all hell broke loose, 430 of my precious images!! Missing. I used recuva to try and recover the jpg files, but it returned with zero matching files!

And i remembered Vista's Previous Version feature. I quickly tried to find out the previous versions of my Pictures folder Vista had.

And luckily, cant believe my luck, out of the two previous version copies, one of them had the folder which i had deleted by mistake. The backup made at 2 in the night!!

I was seriously heartbroken for a few seconds at what i had done!! I must think about backup options now onwards. I have picutures sizing over 2 GB, And a misc 1 Gb data which is dear to me.

I hate the idea of having my personal files backed up at some online server, which anybody else can access. So online backups are ruled out. Is there anything else you people suggest?
I use a laptop with only 40GB HD, which is also full, backups in my local HD are rules out too.

Are there any ways of burning secure DVDs? Password protected or something.
Let us discuss backups in this topic, i just realised how important they are!!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
alsiladka said:
:shock: When i checked my pictures folder right now, i found one of my folder with 430 images missing!!
I was sharing my pics with a friend online today, and deleted a few images from the root of my pictures folder. Must have accidently deleted the folder then.

OMG, all hell broke loose, 430 of my precious images!! Missing. I used recuva to try and recover the jpg files, but it returned with zero matching files!

And i remembered Vista's Previous Version feature. I quickly tried to find out the previous versions of my Pictures folder Vista had.

And luckily, cant believe my luck, out of the two previous version copies, one of them had the folder which i had deleted by mistake. The backup made at 2 in the night!!

I was seriously heartbroken for a few seconds at what i had done!! I must think about backup options now onwards. I have picutures sizing over 2 GB, And a misc 1 Gb data which is dear to me.

I hate the idea of having my personal files backed up at some online server, which anybody else can access. So online backups are ruled out. Is there anything else you people suggest?
I use a laptop with only 40GB HD, which is also full, backups in my local HD are rules out too.

Are there any ways of burning secure DVDs? Password protected or something.
Let us discuss backups in this topic, i just realised how important they are!!

Another reason why to use Vista :D

Well, why not buy an external HD & then use HideFolderXP to save files in that HD & password protect.

Or even better, use WIndows Backup in Vista, then compress the backup file with winrar as a password protected rar file with no compression. then save this file on external HD

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Windows Backup does not allow you to choose individual folders to backup or i would have used it.

Does HideFolderXP work on Vista? And does it password protect only when it is running or even when it is not running. If i access a password protected folder from some other system, will the folder open without a password?

enticer86

Stay Silent!
y dont u try BOX.net
or fr pictures, create an email id at gmail with a DIFFERENT name... n keep it only fr saving pictures..create PVT ALBUMS

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
enticer86 said:
y dont u try BOX.net
or fr pictures, create an email id at gmail with a DIFFERENT name... n keep it only fr saving pictures..create PVT ALBUMS
I did mention in my first post, online backups ruled out dude. I am not comfortable with the idea of my personal stuff online.

enticer86

Stay Silent!
sir that's y m suggesting that.. i m as paranoid as u are.... u can alwys keep a very tuff password and not link it to any email id of urs...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
pathiks said:
Just compress them to a password protected archive and burn them to a dvd
no, don't do that. that'll most likely get corrupted. a huge archive is not recommended. u may create several small archives, password protect them, get some reliable media and burn DVDs at low speeds (1x or 2x, yeah jus let it take its own time).

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Dont try to burn your private files ,especially with .rar ,it is the worst thing yöü can do.i have loads of xp with this one.
The things is try use a thumbdrive with password enabled one.
That will be safer and sound.
But the best thing in todays world is to upload onto a online storage site provide yöü have unlimited broadband and yöü dont forget the password for the site.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well...if u still in a dilemma then do as I make my backup

I have a 40 GB external HD (laptop HD + Casing). I have a folder on my e:\drive away from Windows by the name "Files". Inside this I have my movies, documents & pictures which I don't wanna loose ever.

Now, if Windows fails, I can simply format & reinstall windows cos all the system folders are pointed to the folder \Files\Pictures or Files\Documents. None of my files gets deleted.

Every week, I just plug in my external HD & simply copy the folder "Files" to that HD in a new folder named "Backup". Now that HD is with me only & I don't give it to any one else so i m not concerned about my privacy thing. All files are there loosely means all JPG's are there as JPG only. This way new files gets added to the corresponding folder & those files which are changed are replaced while those which are not changed are not copied saving time.

Now in your case since u want password protection, why don't u use acronis trueimage & make an image of those folder u want to backup on an external HD. Next time just again make a backup of those folder with the previous backup.tib file selected & trueimage will only backup & add the new files

OP
alsiladka

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
I think i shall end up buying an external HD. Will go for the simple file copy paste backup.

Anyone know of any easy encrypters?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
alsiladka said:
Anyone know of any easy encrypters?

Acronis true Image will password protect that backup.tib file. Or you can do use FolderLock to password protect that folder in external HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom