Sapphire HD6950 1GB - Temperatures and Overclocking

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Guys i decided to overclock my card to 6970 clocks (880mhz).

I used MSI Afterburner to monitor and Sapphire Trixx to oc. Stress test used was from TPU - GPUtool.

I used 10mhz increments and set fan profile to 80% fixed. Ran test for 1 min after each increment.

When i reached 880mhz the test ran. Screen went blank and recovered. Amd driver stopped and recovered. The test still ran but screen hanged. Temp was avg 75C and load 97-99%. Used task manager to close test.

After that i ran black ops at highest settings and played it for 1hr. Totally stable and temp was avg 66c. Fan profile 80%.

I didnt touch memory and voltage still and still have to measure fps increase.

Was so engrossed in game that i got late for tutions.

Screens and fps tomorrow.

Comment on this oc.
With profile at 100% what can i expect?

D

Deleted member 118788

That I Don't know But if you have guts then overclock this card beyond 1 ghz. MSI Twin Frozr Can.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^check out overclock3d review. TFII could only reach 895mhz on stock volts. Each card is not same.
And i wont touch voltage atleast now. No need.

D

Deleted member 118788

N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC Overclocking | bit-tech.net

Man You've to refresh your knowledge Bit-tech guys has overclocked it to 975mhz without overvolting & with overvolting 1020mhz.

MSI N560GTX Ti Twin Frozer II review

974mhz without overvolting.

Wastage of money on sapphire 6950 1gb.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, you buy a graphics card for OCing, LOL.

@Jas, what's the current temps of Amritsar? And your temps are with AC on or normal?

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
That I Don't know But if you have guts then overclock this card beyond 1 ghz. MSI Twin Frozr Can.

N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC Overclocking | bit-tech.net

Man You've to refresh your knowledge Bit-tech guys has overclocked it to 975mhz without overvolting & with overvolting 1020mhz.

MSI N560GTX Ti Twin Frozer II review

974mhz without overvolting.

Wastage of money on sapphire 6950 1gb.

1.be specific which tf2 u were talking.
2.g3d oced 6950 one to 987 without overvolting and oc3d to 895.
3.Check out g3d forums and u will find 560 ti tf2 at 920-930. Do remember its already at 880.

And if u want to argue on that topic then i will pm u tomorrow stating my proofs. Now go on - topic.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check this also:-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...rds-related-queries-here-461.html#post1457123

I will post my results later. :)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am getting same temp figures as you in stock clocks. Waiting for yours pics. That's most important. ;)

D

Deleted member 118788

N560 Ti Twin Frozr II will be lot cooler than sapphire 6950 at any clock.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it matter as long as your card doesn't overheat or show sign of problems?

Off-topic: Have you decided about the cabinet?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am losing my novelty value because of you guys. ;)

OK, no more OT.

Jas, give some more results.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Comment on this oc.
With profile at 100% what can i expect?

At 80% fan speed all the time, you'll damage them in the long run. Fans will make whirring noise and eventually stop working. Its not at all advised to run them at 80% fixed all the time.

Fan longevity will come crashing down. Don't even think of keeping them at 100% all the time.

Download radeon pro and use fan settings from there.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you sure about this? If I am not mistaken previously in AGP era fans generally used to run at full pelt. Those cards serve years. This fan speed control thing is relatively new.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
At 80% fan speed all the time, you'll damage them in the long run. Fans will make whirring noise and eventually stop working. Its not at all advised to run them at 80% fixed all the time.

Fan longevity will come crashing down. Don't even think of keeping them at 100% all the time.

Download radeon pro and use fan settings from there.

ok. i will change them to automatic.
and will download radeon pro.

and which softwares to benchmark.

dirt3 has inbuilt one too. skud you want it?

Are you sure about this? If I am not mistaken previously in AGP era fans generally used to run at full pelt. Those cards serve years. This fan speed control thing is relatively new.

then time to research on it.

5870 fan @100 % = damage? - [H]ard|Forum

[Solved] Adjusting Graphics Card Fan Speed - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays

they say by the time fan stops working, we would have upgraded to new card.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, Dirt3 bench please and vantage, if possible. :)

Plus 3dmark11, heaven, avp, re5, metro 2033, crysis2. This should suffice.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ jaskanwar singh

hmm go for 3d mark vantage. The latest crysis 2 dx 11 benchmark is also very nice.
Don't use msi kombuster ever. You can try furmark too. Try unigine heaven as well and see how good 6950 is in tess. Crysis 2 will be a practical benchmark for tess.
But best way is to try at some real stressful titles like metro 2033, crysis 2 with dx11 , high res textures and everything set to ultra. Dirt 3 is also a good dx11 benchmark.

About fans , they will indeed go kaput at those settings no matter what people say.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding fan speed at least during winter we can keep it at default levels. I guess like Patna, Amritsar also gets very cold. ;)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Jaskanwar, you should mention the FPS differentials you are getting. Stock vs. OC. At least 3-4 games.

Top Bottom