Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Defy

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Any other ... Please specify

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Ashgun

Dil Td diya :( ):
I am really confused .. earlier my Budget was arnd 20 K But I did not found any worthy contenders and I mean it , not intersetde in even going even 1 Rs above 20k + I need to buy a Memory card 8 Gb .

I had a look @ Samsung sl but the 4" screen is too big to be pocketed .

Now I have shortlisted it to Wave 2 and Defy .

I need some info about the Bugs or issues with Bada software in Wave 2 , any body having wave 2 here . Did you face any issues may be howsoever small they may be . Please share them as spending 17K of My money is really a big thing for me . For Wave 2 Hardware is really good .

About Defy -- Any one having that ... any experiences .

Anything else you want to suggest

Please share your ideas and your experiences .

Guys really really confused ... Please help .

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Wave 2 is a great phone overall but it seriously lacks apps. Strictly between these two, go for Defy.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I voted for Defy strictly because its got acces to Android apps market.

But dont expect to get an update of os for Defy after you buy it.You cant even install custom rom as Its bootloader is locked and Motorola has policy of telling us- buy a phone if you are happy of current software only otherwise move on!

Soumik

Padawan
^^ Defy is getting Froyo update soon in some countries atleast. Hopefully India wont be missed.
Both phones are awesome phones. For Hardware Wave II is better and build wise Defy is better. But both are superb phones in either respect. If you consider C7(which is also at the same price range) that too has similar great hardware and build quality. If you consider screen quality, defy would have the worst one. Wave II has SLCD and C7 has Amoled(though not Clear Black). Defy has normal TFT(does it use IPS panel? i am not sure).
Still, my suggestion goes to Defy.
Reasons - C7 gets canceled due to Symbian. Between Defy and Wave II, Bada is a very new OS, has lots of bugs and multitasking would be pain with only 256MB ram.(you can check youtube videos as proof). Defy has the mature Android OS and has got a huge market where u can get loads of apps to try out and play with. Plus, you get an USP of being the only waterproof and shockproof smartphone.

Just one thing to note: Bada market is growing at a good pace and there are many utility apps and games(ported from other OSs like Fruit Ninja,Asphalt, Angry Birds,etc) already available. Plus, i dont know about android that much, but in Bada, you get country specific Apps too, like from a couple of days back. you have a T20 app available. So, market wise, its not stagnant, its growing at a good pace. And Wave II will recieve the Bada 2.0 major update(not sure when though). So, if multi tasking is not your thing and you dont experiment too much with Apps, Wave II is a great phone to consider.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Defy is an average phone. Wave II is below average. Between the two of them, I would choose Defy because of Android OS and Market access. It is also very well built phone, good for rough use.

You should reconsider Galaxy SL... otherwise, Defy would be a good choice...

OP
A

Ashgun

I was very much convinced with Wave 2 . but after reading some of the Bada forums . I found that there are some memory issues with Browser that I can live with . But there was some bug related to Alarm which is very dangerous for me atleast . I heavily rely on alarms . Can anybody point to any other issues for wave 2 .

And yes Defy seems to be a good choice as well but little bit overpriced @ 17k and Eclair

Soumik

Padawan
hmm one major mem issue with bada that i saw from the youtube video is that when you have lots of widgets on your home screens, it runs out of memory. You wont even be able to open a wallpaper or video or anything.
What i feel is the problem is that, its got a Hummingbird chipset inside it. The GPU inside inside will itself take up almost all of the ram, leaving less than 50 mb for the OS and you to work with.
Go for defy from the local shops, you will get near 16K-16.5K. Froyo update is coming soon, so you shouldnt worry about it. Defy is very good value for money on the android side.. which in itself is a major plus point.

sakumar79

Technomancer
I am using wave I (s8500)... There are no problems in alarms or memory issues (though I dont tax the phone a lot) in my phone at least...

With Wave II, screen is changed from SAMOLED to SLCD, otherwise specs are mostly similar...

Hence, with my experience with Wave, I would suggest that only downside is that bada OS has much fewer apps compared to Android... Still, I would recommend it as a good buy...

With Motorola, my fear when I purchased Wave 6months back was that the service for Motorola was almost nonexistant then... If it has improved, then ok... Also, one of my main requirements was a good battery life and it looks like Defy's battery life is mediocre, you may want to take that into consideration...

Arun

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I had a look @ Samsung sl but the 4" screen is too big to be pocketed .

SL Vs W2

check the overall size & not just the screen. copy pasting it here:

SL: 123.7 x 64.2 x 10.6 mm
W2: 123.9 x 59.8 x 11.8 mm
Defy: 107 x 59 x 13.4 mm

So, SL is as long as WaveII. Defy is compact but is really thick for a non-slider. But SL is wide & it may be the only point you need to think.

Soumik

Padawan
The width increase does matter. I ride a bike to office daily and it would be more uncomfortable for me to have a super thin wide and long plastic built phone in my pocket than a long metal built phone with less width. Its more of a mental thing, SGSL certainly doesnt inspire trust in its built quality. Other than that, it is costlier, but for the price u get android 2.2, larger screen, comparatively a lot less powerful GPU with a lot more ram, but due to that, a lot of free memory for the user to use.
I dont rate Wave II that bad. I mean, the memory loss is a deal breaker, and Bada app store is still a lot behind Android app store, but other than that, Wave II is the better device here.
Due to Defy's lifeproof nature, its got its own USP... depending on the user, else Defy looses to both.

Still my fav one among them is Defy... (personal opinion :))

OP
A

Ashgun

I dont rate Wave II that bad. I mean, the memory loss is a deal breaker, and Bada app store is still a lot behind Android app store, but other than that, Wave II is the better device here.
Due to Defy's lifeproof nature, its got its own USP... depending on the user, else Defy looses to both.

Ya Hardware wise Wave 2 is lot better atleast proccy dont know abt gpu . but is it getting bada 2.0 release any soon .

Still my fav one among them is Defy... (personal opinion :))

Can you please tell your reason for this .. :p I would like to know ..

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Ashgun said:
Ya Hardware wise Wave 2 is lot better
atleast proccy dont know abt gpu . but
is it getting bada 2.0 release any soon
It doesnt matter if Bada 2.0 is released.
The main thing is that you wont get acces to Android app market and thats a big minus for the wave.

Strictly if you want to choose out of the ones you mentioned I'd say Defy.

If any other, than Galaxy SL is the best phone you can buy at this pricepoint. Defy follows closely.

Soumik

Padawan
Ya Hardware wise Wave 2 is lot better atleast proccy dont know abt gpu . but is it getting bada 2.0 release any soon .
Can you please tell your reason for this .. :p I would like to know ..
GPU is about a few times faster than the SGX530 found on SGSL and Defy, but eats up more ram instead. Bada 2.0 has a lot of improvements and will release this year around September, probably. As it is, Bada 1.1 is very buggy for heavy users as you got to know.
Samsung app store is not as bad as you thing, just check their site, they have lots of good apps too (only for Bada though). Total amount wise, it cannot stand up to Android.
For me putting Defy over the others... well, i am longing for an Android device after using it on many of my friend's... my roomie already has a Wave II(so we can exchange whenever we want :p)... i seriously drop my phone a lot, so defy would give me peace of mind... big enough screen on a pretty small body(easily pocketable)... And well... whichever android u take, its gonna get outdated very fast, but with defy, u get a lifeproof feature, which rarely comes by in smartphones. So, you can have something to brag about for a long time... ;)

Edit : A rommie is supposed to get one when we returns from his hometown visit... he hasnt got it yet.

Top Bottom