Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement from ODI cricket

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Another thing that surprised me was that , I thought i would be the odd man out in believing he was good riddance.

Krow

Crowman
He should have retired earlier on a high. Now he goes out on a low. It would be best if he quits tests too.
Valid point. But I think he's the best judge of when he should retire. He's set such high standards that any bad run of form seems like a career ender.

ssk_the_gr8

this has been an extended bad run of form.. and he is missing balls that he used to whack to boundaries

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
The point being that he has achieved so much that no-one else has been able to emulate. Surely that is the mark of a great player. There's a saying that goes, "Form is temporary, class is permanent"

So many other players in the Indian team miss simple balls but when it comes to them people are largely quiet. I used to be a cricket fan.True, he could have retired earlier, but lets not take away anything from what this great cricketer deserves.
Atleast leave the harsher criticisms to people who have faced a proper world class bowler, let alone sent it over the ropes. To quote Gordon - He was the hero that we needed, but not the one we deserved. So we'll hunt him, we'll criticise him as if there is no tomorrow. Let the hate flow in you.

ssk_the_gr8

The point being that he has achieved so much that no-one else has been able to emulate. Surely that is the mark of a great player. There's a saying that goes, "Form is temporary, class is permanent"

So many other players in the Indian team miss simple balls but when it comes to them people are largely quiet. I used to be a cricket fan.True, he could have retired earlier, but lets not take away anything from what this great cricketer deserves.
Atleast leave the harsher criticisms to people who have faced a proper world class bowler, let alone sent it over the ropes. To quote Gordon - He was the hero that we needed, but not the one we deserved. So we'll hunt him, we'll criticise him as if there is no tomorrow. Let the hate flow in you.

Yo're not getting my point, what I'm saying is that what used to be easy for him he misses now, thats why he's being questioned. If Ganguly is not able to hit spinners for straight lofted sixes and gets stumped every freakin time , people will be surprised.

he was a good player,that is not being questioned. What is being questioned is clinging on to his position in the side. He knows selectors wont be able to drop him easily , so people think he's taking advantage of it instead of himself retiring. He only retired when a lot of voices started questioning him. Before that he always said that i have cricket left in me, etc.
Being a good player does not make him beyond criticism.

btw, i agree that there is some bitterness from my side, but it is because of everybody's( i mean EVERYBODY) god like treatment of the guy. Stuff like - " sachin bhagwan hai , uskey khilaf kuch nai bolney ka"

OP
freshseasons

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Was Sachin the Greatest Player ? Should he have retired earlier with good runs on board and a good form ? Or Could he have played another world Cup ?

Personally none of this matters to me . And before you read ahead, no i am not one of the Die-Hard adherent Fan of his. Infact its not even about Sachin Tendulkar but rather its about selfish me.

Its about the Pride that he gave me when India toured abroad. Its about me Who belonged to the Land from where Sachin Tendulkar came from. Its when Tony Greg, Geoffrey,Lilee giving adulations after adulations. Its about Sir Donald Bradman who quoted, that some Indian played just like him. Its about what there is to the greatness in this world and which should always win.The fighting spirit, the World Class FROM AN INDIAN.

Its about the a Final Closure on the Pride i carried as an Indian and abroad for last 23 years, written ,feared and talked about.

RIP My Love for Cricket! :(

OP
freshseasons

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
@freshseasons

there's still tests.

Ohh yes...My Bad...I got really emotional there bro. But i think this will be the last effort from him :(

Meanwhile Time Magazine payes tribute to sachin Tendulkar.
Please read the following from time Magazine. Its so true.
In its tribute to the Indian batting great, the news magazine said: "It seems while Time was having his toll on every individual on the face of this planet, he excused one man. Time stands frozen in front of Sachin Tendulkar. We have had champions, we have had legends, but we have never had another Sachin Tendulkar and we never will."

"When Sachin Tendulkar travelled to Pakistan to face one of the finest bowling attacks ever assembled in cricket, Michael Schumacher was yet to race an F1 car, Lance Armstrong had never been to the Tour de France, Diego Maradona was still the captain of a world champion Argentina team, (and) Pete Sampras had never won a Grand Slam," Time was quoted as saying on its website.

"When Tendulkar embarked on a glorious career taming Imran and company, Roger Federer was a name unheard of; Lionel Messi was in his nappies, Usain Bolt was an unknown kid in the Jamaican backwaters. The Berlin Wall was still intact, USSR was one big, big country, Dr Manmohan Singh was yet to 'open' the Nehruvian economy."

Tendulkar who has scored 18,426 runs in 463 ODI matches would continue to play the Test format. He scored 49 centuries and 96 fifties in the shorter format -- and was the first batsman to score a double-century in an ODI.

Tendulkar made his debut as a 16-year-old in a Test match in Karachi Nov 15, 1989 while he played his first ODI against Pakistan in Gujranwala Dec 18, 1989.

The master blaster figured on the cover of Time magazine in May this year for the editions in the Indian subcontinent, Singapore and Australia and New Zealand after he completed a century of tons in international cricket.

No better words.

Krow

Crowman
Yo're not getting my point, what I'm saying is that what used to be easy for him he misses now, thats why he's being questioned. If Ganguly is not able to hit spinners for straight lofted sixes and gets stumped every freakin time , people will be surprised.

he was a good player,that is not being questioned. What is being questioned is clinging on to his position in the side. He knows selectors wont be able to drop him easily , so people think he's taking advantage of it instead of himself retiring. He only retired when a lot of voices started questioning him. Before that he always said that i have cricket left in me, etc.
Being a good player does not make him beyond criticism.

btw, i agree that there is some bitterness from my side, but it is because of everybody's( i mean EVERYBODY) god like treatment of the guy. Stuff like - " sachin bhagwan hai , uskey khilaf kuch nai bolney ka"

I can see that you are bitter. Basically you are saying you don't like Sachin just because people worship him.

"Good player" :lol: Seriously? He is the best batsman in the world.

He carried Indian cricket on his shoulders till 2002 and made many memorable contributions for 10 years after that. He is the most humble cricketer in the world. Everytime he got out in the 90s, people would scream that his career was over. He has done tremendously well for someone playing under so much pressure.

I think he has done more than enough for Indian cricket. The man should be allowed to choose when he wants to retire.

I'm sorry to say that your posts sound like rants. It saddens me to see people from India criticising him. If Sachin had a half decent side around him in his best years, India would have won four World Cups.

Remember that he made Warne look average and Akhtar was at his mercy in WC 2003.

I'm sad Sachin has retired. It's the end of an era, truly.

ssk_the_gr8

Allowed to choose.... Why? You know what I won't argue anymore because our opinions are poles apart over here and that's not going to change.

mastervk

In the zone
I have never been a Sachin fan but everybody else was his fan ( atleast till a few years ago )..Sometimes for fun i would criticize him and all my friends would start arguing quoting stats (This was 1999)..Now a lot has changed ...Lot of people have started criticizing him..Though million and million of his fans will always held him in high regard but unfortunately for many he will be a player who scored century while India will loose and so on...

He should have taken this decision after winning world cup but even for great players such decision is hard...

I think he was greatest one day player and one of the best in Test match...I hope he will announce his test retirement in different way and allow his fans and other players to give him respect he deserve...

bippukt

In the zone
Cricket is a team game, if he scores a century at a good strike rate and the team still loses, how is it his fault? No matter what people call him, he is not God. He can make up for the failures of his teammates only to a certain extent, and that too only in the batting department. If the bowlers give away 370+ runs in a World Cup final, then expecting him to score a quick double century is a bit too much.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
And those criticize Sachin, remember, every bowler today knows his weaknesses and they bowl their very best when bowling to him. Though we knew this was coming, it is still heart breaking. We are already struggling to fill the void left by Dravid (ODI & Tests)and Lakshman (Tests). Now we have to wait and see if any of the younger ones are able to.

Krow

Crowman
At least the thread now has sensible posts, for and against Sachin.

Like I said, haters can go to hell. You can't criticise a man with a record like Sachin's. Even Jayasuria played many matches as opener. Compare the averages of him and Sachin. One was devastating in patches, the other consistently.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Emotions are to be expected when great players retire. No one can ever deny the greatness of the man or what he did for Indian cricket. I think some of us just believe that the babu-giri in sports and the "positions" of power people occupy need to be tamed in Indian sports.

Of course a player should decide when he wants to retire, but selection should be based on performance only, and by a board of managers and the captain. It's simple performance that matters. Steve Waugh was dropped despite winning everything for his country, and shocking as it was, it yielded results and made him come back stronger. However, all we hear is the politics of boards that govern every financially successful enterprise in India, including Cricket.

Besides, it had to happen some day, as much as many would want him to, he can't play forever. He should stay involved and get into the administration side though, we need honourable, patriotic, clean, blemish-less people like him to manage sports federations... for a change. I personally hope this isn't the end of Sachin's involvement in Indian cricket. He truly is the greatest cricketer that has ever lived, and hopefully he will be able to help find and nurture someone even better than him, from amongst the millions of prospects out there, and ensure that they get a fair chance.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
And to all those who did not knew: Sachin hit his first ODI century after 79 matches. Source: The Hindu

Top Bottom