Sabayon Linux and Mepis querries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
^^
got the feeling.. :d
tried installing it but there was no GUI..
installation was thru commands so dropped the idea of installing it ..

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Haha. Don't even come near slackware install unless you know what you're getting into. You're sureshot gonna wipe your hard disk clean while attempting to partition via the all mighty fdisk. Rest of the install is not that difficult. But, then the fun starts, once your install is over.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Haha. Don't even come near slackware install unless you know what you're getting into. You're sureshot gonna wipe your hard disk clean while attempting to partition via the all mighty fdisk. Rest of the install is not that difficult. But, then the fun starts, once your install is over.
Don't scare the kid!!! :lol: Slackware is not as bad/noob unfriendly as all make it appear to be!

^^Dude, I am the one who gets to say how n00b friendly it really is, as I will be soon finishing my Slackware 12 DVD Torrent download. Already ~18% is over. Few more nights needed.

Do you think I can handle slackware ?

mediator

Technomancer
metal said:
^^Dude, I am the one who gets to say how n00b friendly it really is, as I will be soon finishing my Slackware 12 DVD Torrent download. Already ~18% is over. Few more nights needed.

Do you think I can handle slackware ?
U r a "full grown man" now with loadzz of "experience" in this "hungry" world. Ofcors u can handle it. Just take it slowly, calmly and carefully! :D

U r a "full grown man" now with loadzz of "experience" in this "hungry" world. Ofcors u can handle it. Just take it slowly, calmly and carefully! :D
the problem is, I still don't have a driving licence. I still use my Learners Licence on a damaged car.

PS: I hope you know what I mean ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I dunno why everyone feels slackware is noob-unfriendly. The first distro I ever installed (i think it was may 1996 or so) was slackware! with all the blue + cyan bg/fg colors and white text :D

The problem is that we all are so much used to ubuntu/windows etc. that we feel stuff like core debian, slackware, gentoo is tuff. That logic is wrong.

mehulved

Don't scare the kid!!! :lol: Slackware is not as bad/noob unfriendly as all make it appear to be!
First time I tried slackware. I had to partition all of 17 times and spent 4 hours figuring out fdisk! Thankfully I had a fully formatted disk to play with.
Then comes the part, when you boot up right into a scary dark black console. No GUI straight up. Now, most of them will login as root. So, another reason why I don't recommend slackware.
Then comes package management. And worse of all handling config files. That will be fun. And if they have a nvidia or ati driver, they will prolly have to recompile the kernel, GOD SAVE THEM. I spent a whole week before my exams trying to compile something I don't remember now. That was what really got me started in this forum.
I guess only person to land on this forum who has used slackware longer than me is Satish.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
First time I tried slackware. I had to partition all of 17 times and spent 4 hours figuring out fdisk! Thankfully I had a fully formatted disk to play with.
Then comes the part, when you boot up right into a scary dark black console. No GUI straight up. Now, most of them will login as root. So, another reason why I don't recommend slackware.
Then comes package management. And worse of all handling config files. That will be fun. And if they have a nvidia or ati driver, they will prolly have to recompile the kernel, GOD SAVE THEM. I spent a whole week before my exams trying to compile something I don't remember now. That was what really got me started in this forum.
I guess only person to land on this forum who has used slackware longer than me is Satish.
Yes, I fully agree with you on the Drivers part.

But root login and stuff.. I think all that "no root login" craze started after Ubuntu came with the idea... su, sudo, no-root-login weren't this popular before.

But isn't it possible to configure it to make it launch GDM or KDM at startup ?
And these days drivers are easier than they used to be, aren't they ?

praka123

left this forum longback
^well,even archlinux ftp ends up in a terminal,even Debian boots into a terminal in a network install.that gives space for what packages u can install.

but I HATE(":x") slackware as the package manager is even lazy to find the dependencies :evil:

mehulved

but I HATE(":x") slackware as the package manager is even lazy to find the dependencies :evil:
I really love slackware, it's untamed, raw power. :) To do it you have to know it.

But isn't it possible to configure it to make it launch GDM or KDM at startup ?
And these days drivers are easier than they used to be, aren't they ?
It is but it requires you to manually edit required configuration files.
Yes, it's easier. But ask a newbie to compile a kernel and also installing binary drivers is still a problem for them.

Yes, I fully agree with you on the Drivers part.

But root login and stuff.. I think all that "no root login" craze started after Ubuntu came with the idea... su, sudo, no-root-login weren't this popular before.
Sorry I disagree. No root login by default idea has been around much before that. I was told that while using FC2, a few months before ubuntu was born and atleast a year before ubuntu became popular.
Ubuntu rather made the concept of sudo much more famous. But, now I find it rather lame thing to give all rights to sudoer. That defeats the whole purpose of what sudo was meant for.

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

I Installed Slackware in a dual boot configuration in one go! (And i was a noob back then) :p

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Yeah Slackware is not as bad as everyone makes it look like. You don't hafta be a geek! And FC2 definitely didn't haf the concept of no-root login allowed. I've used most of the distros before ubuntu and yes, ubuntu was the one which popularized sudo.

That is one thing I change as soon as I install ubuntu.. enable root login.

I guess the disc. is about sabayon and I'd say if you can get sabayon working then that is great news for you. I hafn't heard much about ppl using the full version of sabayon about installing packages! Most of the packages you'll ever need is already there.... :)

mehulved

People have always discouraged logging in a root directly. Use of su only when needed has been taught to me right through. Yes, root login was possible but it always has been discouraged, ubuntu or no ubuntu. I am not talking about sudo here.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
No offense but you need to stop changing distros. Install a distro and stick with it. If you liked Kubuntu you could have installed Ubuntu and then just installed the KDE packages , or the xfce packages for Xubuntu etc. I think you can pretty much accomplish anything which is available in any other distro by a bit of configuration but to be frank I don't think I nor ANYONE in this forum know what you are looking for in a distro :S .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom