sabayon 5.3 linux need help

OP
shiwa436

shiwa436

Broken In
Mint installation is pretty straight forward. The only thing you might want to know is drive partitioning. I hope this link helps in that.

Just written my Linux mint 10.iso file to a CD. I will try this version this evening..

OP
shiwa436

shiwa436

Broken In
@nims11.. ThanQ for your concern..

While installing the Mint. I was advised to have an internet connection. But I don't have an internet connection. I installed ignoring it. And I installed 'Julia' alongside the winXP. While installing I have a doubt. If I choose to use the entire Hard Disk, will it Delete every thing in my Disk?? All the data??

I want to have only Mint10 on my system... Should I loose all the data on disk?? I don;t have much resources to back up the data in CDs or DVDs..

Please advise me if there are any other ways in installing Only Mint10 with out losing data of my system??

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
While installing I have a doubt. If I choose to use the entire Hard Disk, will it Delete every thing in my Disk?? All the data??
Yes, if you choose entire HDD, you will loose all the data and partitions.

I want to have only Mint10 on my system... Should I loose all the data on disk?? I don;t have much resources to back up the data in CDs or DVDs..

Nope, there is no need to delete all the partitions of your hard disk. You can choose any one partition (approx. 15GB) and install Mint on that. Don't touch your data partitions. They will be automatically mounted once you boot into Mint.

doomgiver

Warframe
Or Ubuntu Ultimate, maybe?

imho, the eye-candy in UU looks very amateur. but the software package is very nice.
canonical should introduce packs, as in, you can select packs of predefined softwares, or choose softwares of your choice among packs

doomgiver

Warframe
no no no, i meant like firefox has done with add-ons.
you have the shopper package, educational package, etc, and you can choose whether to install the whole thing or just some parts of it. it'l sure make stuff a lot easier, and we wont have to dwnload 2.2 gb of UU edition.

btw, you use gentoo? im a beginner/intermediate level user, i heard its easy to optimize it for your hardware... do you recommend it for me? im using ubuntu maverick.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I would recommend Arch Linux instead of Gentoo. Its very lightweight and fast. Additionally, they have a very great documentation and community.

Here is the beginner's guide to arch Linux:
*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide

BTW, sorry to op for hijacking the thread. I would not post offtopic again.
@doomgiver, please create a separate thread if you need guidance on Arch. There are so many Arch fans here on TDF to help you out. :)

OP
shiwa436

shiwa436

Broken In
What about updating and installing some packages without internet connection? Can I download packages on a system having internet connection and then install them on my system?

nims11

BIOS Terminator
yes you can. if you download the source, then you can compile it through terminal. the details can be found in the "INSTALL" or "README" file in the source tarball you dowload.

the easier way is to download the binaries which is precompiled and u just have to install in your computer.

without internet, it can be a pain manually installing all those libraries necessary to compile the source of the package.

have a look at this link-
En:HOWTO: The Complete Portage Guide - Sabayon Wiki

OP
shiwa436

shiwa436

Broken In
yes you can. if you download the source, then you can compile it through terminal. the details can be found in the "INSTALL" or "README" file in the source tarball you dowload.

the easier way is to download the binaries which is precompiled and u just have to install in your computer.

without internet, it can be a pain manually installing all those libraries necessary to compile the source of the package.

have a look at this link-
En:HOWTO: The Complete Portage Guide - Sabayon Wiki

Hi nims.. Currently I am using Linux Mint 10, as suggested by some of our friends here on this forum.. So I need to know how to install softwares with out internet connection on my mint10 (julia).

ThanQ for the response.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
Hi nims.. Currently I am using Linux Mint 10, as suggested by some of our friends here on this forum.. So I need to know how to install softwares with out internet connection on my mint10 (julia).

ThanQ for the response.

oops i forgot!!
downloading and compiling the software tarballs work with all distros. in MINT, you can easily install packages through .deb binaries which are widely available for most softwares.

OP
shiwa436

shiwa436

Broken In
ThankQ nims11. Can you or anyone help me in editing the title of this discussion. Or should I start a new thread for my mint10 questions.

And where can I get .deb binaries??

Thankyou once again for your support nims11..

nims11

BIOS Terminator
ThankQ nims11. Can you or anyone help me in editing the title of this discussion. Or should I start a new thread for my mint10 questions.

And where can I get .deb binaries??

Thankyou once again for your support nims11..

edit the first post of this thread and click on "go advanced" to change the title of this thread.

goto the website of the software you want, you will most probably find the .deb binary there if it exists.
else try this - Debian -- Packages

OP
shiwa436

shiwa436

Broken In
I hav downloaded this file named vlc_1.1.3-1squeeze5.debian.tar.gz file from above said site. I wil try to install it on my mint10..

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^Why don't you just use apt-get?? Or GUI package manager??

BTW I guess you need to extract that, and you'll get .deb file which you've to install.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I hav downloaded this file named vlc_1.1.3-1squeeze5.debian.tar.gz file from above said site. I wil try to install it on my mint10..

Instead download .deb package from here: Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/0.4.3/deb/

I think vlc_0.4.3-1_i386.deb should work for you.

Top Bottom