sabayon 5.3 linux need help

shiwa436

Broken In
A Complete newbie to Linux now with Mint10 julia

Hi guys, just a few minutes back, i have a chance to get the Sabayan 5.3 linux distros provided with some magazine. it contains three image files of 654mb, 1.6gb, 1.7gb sizes. which one should i pick? and do I need any driver packages for sound. I am using elite groups GT31 M7 mobo with 1GB ram

Last edited:

doomgiver

Warframe
Re: sabayan 5.3 linux need help

depends upon what is inside those files.
maybe its just different packages inside.
did it contain any documentation, if yes, then read it first.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
Hi guys, just a few minutes back, i have a chance to get the Sabayan 5.3 linux distros provided with some magazine. it contains three image files of 654mb, 1.6gb, 1.7gb sizes. which one should i pick? and do I need any driver packages for sound. I am using elite groups GT31 M7 mobo with 1GB ram

Its the LINUX FOR YOU 's October 2010 magazine from what i can guess. they gave sabayon 5.3. the DVD has 3 isoz-

Sabayon_Linux_5.3_x86_G.iso 1.54GB
Sabayon_Linux_5.3_x86_K.iso 1.89GB
Sabayon_Linux_5.3_x86_LXDE.iso 615MB

All are the same but differ in the preinstalled Dektop environment,
the first one has GNOME, the second one has KDE and the third one has LXDE.
The first two are recommended if you have a pretty decent configuration..
if you have a slow computer, install the third one which has LXDE which is a lightweight desktop environment(i prefer Xfce over LXDE as a lightweight alternative).

OP
shiwa436

shiwa436

Broken In
Just ran the OS in liveCD mode. But when trying to open other other volumes in my HDD, a message reading " Connot mount volume...", invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume 'New Volume (E)'

What to do? Help me please..

nims11

BIOS Terminator
try this,
open the terminal and type sudo fdisk -l to list all partitions and drives, get the device name of the partition you want to mount(it will be something like '/dev/sdax' where x is a number or something else instead of 'sda')
then type sudo mount /dev/sdax /mnt (where /dev/sdax is the device name for your partition)
now it should be mounted at /mnt .

OP
shiwa436

shiwa436

Broken In
try this,
open the terminal and type sudo fdisk -l to list all partitions and drives, get the device name of the partition you want to mount(it will be something like '/dev/sdax' where x is a number or something else instead of 'sda')
then type sudo mount /dev/sdax /mnt (where /dev/sdax is the device name for your partition)
now it should be mounted at /mnt .

Thank you....

Should I need an internet connection, in order to install any applications? Just now I downloaded calculator application...

nims11

BIOS Terminator
if you r installing any app from respository then you need internet connection. Otherwise you can dwnload the source or binary of the application and compile/install it offline.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
its the Linux Command Line. You can open one through the application menu...

btw i recommend that you use Ubuntu as its more easy and user friendly..

OP
shiwa436

shiwa436

Broken In
its the Linux Command Line. You can open one through the application menu...

btw i recommend that you use Ubuntu as its more easy and user friendly..

hi nims11, thanx for your suggestion. I have no internet connection at my home, to download ubuntu. Can you help me when was it given with the DIGIT CD or DVD. Can I use it with out internet connection..?

Rahim

Married!
^in that case, go for Linux Mint, which is a derivative of Ubuntu but has all the multimedia codecs and drivers.

OP
shiwa436

shiwa436

Broken In
thankyou garbage and rahim.. I am trying to download Linux mint in my college Internet centre. Guide me through the installation of the linux mint OS. Thankyou very much.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
thankyou garbage and rahim.. I am trying to download Linux mint in my college Internet centre. Guide me through the installation of the linux mint OS. Thankyou very much.

Mint installation is pretty straight forward. The only thing you might want to know is drive partitioning. I hope this link helps in that.

Top Bottom