Running out of Disk Space

ratzee199

Journeyman
Hi,

I am facing a problem with my C: for last few weeks.
I have a desktop PC with dual booting option-Windows 7 and Windows XP. My Windows XP is in C: and Windows 7 installed in D:.
For the last few weeks almost every now and then I am getting an error message such as -C: is out of memory. in C: I have allocated 20GB of space. I do use CCleaner very often to free up the recycle bins, temporary files etc. I have removed some 2 GB of programs from C:. Still after each time I freed up the programs the C: is getting full. I am not able to figure it out why.
I am using the licensed version of Kaspersky 2011 Antivirus and I install all the programs in F: or in external hard disks. I rarely installed programs in C:. Is it a virus problem or Malware?...Please help. I want to get rid of this problem as well as with Windows XP also.

Jay

guru_urug

iGoogle
shift your swap space to another partition..whenever your system runs out of ram it starts using the swap space on hidden.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
boot into XP.go to my computer-->tools-->folder options-->view tab.select"show hidden files & folders" & uncheck "hide protected operating system files(recommended)"option.you will now see files & folders which were not visible before in C drive.if you have enabled hibernation a single hiberfil.sys file equal to RAM size will be there.also there will be folders like system volume info & $recycle.bin.check their sizes & take appropriate steps if you find them too large in size as suggested in above posts.

insaneYLN

In the zone
boot into XP.go to my computer-->tools-->folder options-->view tab.select"show hidden files & folders" & uncheck "hide protected operating system files(recommended)"option.you will now see files & folders which were not visible before in C drive.if you have enabled hibernation a single hiberfil.sys file equal to RAM size will be there.also there will be folders like system volume info & $recycle.bin.check their sizes & take appropriate steps if you find them too large in size as suggested in above posts.

I applied your suggestions for my laptop running on Windows 7 and found a hiberfil.sys amounting to 2.80GB. Is it safe to delete this hiberfil.sys file.
Also, should Hibernate consequently be turned off?
:-?

Thank you.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
hyberfil.sys file that windows uses to write the memory on the hard drive for hibernation u need to turn hibernation off to delete the file

To delete the file
Click Start>allPrograms>accessories
Rightclick>Command Prompt
Select Run as administrator
Grant permisssion to change system settings
In thecommand prompt window type "powercfg -h off" enter

insaneYLN

In the zone
I am a bit perplexed. Theoretically, the hibernate mode creates a file of a capacity which is equivalent to the amount of RAM.

My laptop has 4GB RAM of which 3.74GB is usable (the remainder, I reckon is used by the ATI Radeon Mobility graphics), yet the hiberfil.sys file size is 2.80GB :?

May I know why it is so?

Thank you.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^ The total size depends upon the amount of active ram on the system not the total ram it writes the whole ram image on the hiberfil.sys file

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@ratzee199: Disable System Restore option in both C & D.also delete the existing restore points using CCleaner.

use tune up utilities 2011 tool "Disk Space explorer which will give enuf details about files & folders which are huge in size.

Top Bottom