[RUMOR]Motorola working on gigantic 5.9" Nexus 6 codenamed "SHAMU"

ankush28

Bazinga
[NEXUS6][RUMOR]Motorola working on gigantic 5.9" Nexus 6 codenamed "SHAMU"

Droid-Life said:
The rumor you have been waiting years for has arrived – Motorola is said to have created the next Nexus phone, a massive 5.9-incher under the codename “shamu.” Call it a parting gift or whatever you want from Google as they ship Moto off to Lenovo, this could be your chance to finally get a Motorola Nexus, assuming you would want one that is that size.

There isn’t much else to say about this rumor, that surfaced via Android Police, other than the current codename of “shamu” was spotted four days ago through an Android L bug tracker. You can see in the screenshot below that we have a build number for a device showing as “aosp_shamu-userdebug.” Obviously, Motorola or Nexus aren’t mentioned, but we like seeing codenames for devices that do not currently exist.

Keep in mind that Google almost always gives their Nexus devices fish-related codenames. We have seen toro, hammerhead, mako, and grouper in the past, to name a few. Shamu, as you likely know, is the name of a famous killer whale. It’s probably also worth noting that a 5.9-inch phone could be considered a whale, so a name like shamu is both fitting and Google-like.

The only other details worth mentioning are that the phone may contain a fingerprint scanner and should arrive in November, just like previous Nexus phones.

Is a 5.9-inch Motorola Nexus all you have ever dreamed of?

SOURCE

AFAIK they will release Nexus 6 along with Android L.
What are your thoughts? So we can finaly expect *COOLer* Nexus :p

Last edited:

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Re: [NEXUS6][RUMOR]Motorola working on gigantic 5.9" Nexus 6 codenamed "SHAMU"

What's with larger screens? When will this madness end? Here I'm struck with 3" mobile.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
reports also say about always listening voice commands much like Moto X BUT Nexus is used as a reference android platform where manufactures can add or tweak extras. adding NLVP in a Nexus means either all mobiles (i mean highend for now) will have to ship with NLVP on board else one of the feature is immediately missing/broken. not the Google style of doing things.

ithehappy

Human Spambot

What's with larger screens? When will this madness end? Here I'm struck with 3" mobile.
Kids, people with no money & brain buying large arse phones and use it as a TV. Also show off people don't care about one hand usage or portability, putting a big slab next to your face looks lovely after all :/ It's a different factor they don't talk sense with anyone anyway.

Even with my hatred towards Samsung I would have preferred it to be a Samsung made Nexus, that's the only way a Nexus would be possible with an AMOLED panel, and any brand can make better built phones than LG.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
One window in my hostel room is missing. This could be a good replacement.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Re: [RUMOR]Motorola working on gigantic 5.9" Nexus 6 codenamed "SHAMU"

Seriously 5.9'' is not comfortable in pocket. Upto 5 inch, its totally fine. I really dont see many people buying this phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you happy with 3 inch. I think 4.7 - 5 in lightweight phone like S4 or S5 hits the sweet spot.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
One window in my hostel room is missing. This could be a good replacement.

:lol:

Anyway, I am highly dissapointed. Not that I see that coming (4->4", 5->5", 7->7"), but they needed to draw a line at 5.
Six inch is a particularly large screen size. People would have loved a revamped Nexus 5 with all that was missing in N5. Like Battery for one. Now I don't think N6 would be my next phone. :(

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz

What Abt the rumors of nexus volantis made by HTC?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker

Kids, people with no money & brain buying large arse phones and use it as a TV. Also show off people don't care about one hand usage or portability, putting a big slab next to your face looks lovely after all :/ It's a different factor they don't talk sense with anyone anyway.

Even with my hatred towards Samsung I would have preferred it to be a Samsung made Nexus, that's the only way a Nexus would be possible with an AMOLED panel, and any brand can make better built phones than LG.

Its the market trend i guess. Smartphone Makers bumping res & screen size with each flagship should try to innovate something.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously 5.9'' is not comfortable in pocket. Upto 5 inch, its totally fine. I really dont see many people buying this phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you happy with 3 inch. I think 4.7 - 5 in lightweight phone like S4 or S5 hits the sweet spot.

Previously I was using Nokia Basic Phone which was 2.3". So 3" was fine, however now a days I feel its tiny compared to others mobile. So I think my Next mob will be 4" to 4.7" max. Even 5" is too much for me.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I had high hopes with N6. But it's confirmed now that it will be 5.9" size. Guessing I would have to get Nexus 5 or Moto X then. No other options.
Nexus 6 aka Shamu to feature Snapdragon 805 SoC, 5.9 inch display | Digit.in

:(

But N6 is rumored to have same design as that of Moto X 2nd gen.. so.. there are two things now:

Positive: Since it's being made on the reference design of Moto X, many features of Moto X 2nd gen might find it's way to Nexus 6. Like dedicated core for active listening and hover to glance screen.
Negative: However for the same reason that N6 will be made by manufacturer of Moto X, I don't think they will price it near 30k, since that would sales of Moto X. So a powerhouse with Snapdragon 805 might cost near 40k. That would be just bad.

What you guys think?

ithehappy

Human Spambot

I'm guessing it'll be priced at 699 USD, just a guess.

Doesn't matter price for me, it's 5.9", so not even worth considering, for me.

tkin

Back to school!!
5.9", when does it stop becoming a mobile and becomes a tablet? I frequently have to use my mobile using one hand, the G2 barely makes the cut, anything more will slip out of my hands and die a sad death. Good bye nexus. I'd rather buy the new HTC tablet.

$hadow

Geek in making
419USD is what the leaked price showed but I doubt it. Now I am way more confuse regarding this and Moto X 2014. If I buy this I don't have to carry my Nexus 7 with me and plus it is ageing but 5.9 is a monster phone.

Top Bottom