Cyborg Agent
Re: [NEXUS6][RUMOR]Motorola working on gigantic 5.9" Nexus 6 codenamed "SHAMU"

X and Nexus still lack one feature which is expandable memory

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
X and Nexus still lack one feature which is expandable memory

While expandable memory is a good thing, lack of expandable memory is not at all just a bad thing. And there's a single most important reason for it. "Performance". Speed of internal memory is usually a lot higher than external memory. While a class 10 card provides a sequential speed of 22.62 MB/s (taken from a review on FK of Class 10 card), a NAND chip of modern device like Nexus 5 can provide Sequential speeds uptp 76 MB/s (Source: AnandTech | Google Nexus 5 Review). [I know comparison isn't that scientific but I am just making a point.]

So when a high end game like Asphalt 8 needs to access files kept on storage which memory do you think would provide maximum performance?

So there are many factors which makes Internal memory a good thing:

1. Speed / Performance: Already discussed.

2. Security: External memory can't be protected by software. Sure you have App locker that seems to lock access to files for unauthorized users, but what happens if the SDCard of your phone falls in the hand of someone who wants your data? He will be able to access all data kept on the card easily. This is the reason why some apps like Banking apps just can't be moved. (A good thing).

3. Usability: If you have moved your apps on card, then what happens when you unmount the card? The app on phone will become unstable and force close, if you haven't stopped it from running beforehand. Sure you will take care to unmount the app before unmounting the card, but an average joe won't realize this, thereby blaming Android for providing an unstable OS.

4. Widgets: Any widget that requires the app to be mounted will crash if you remove the card. Hence Google just decided not to allow any widget apps to be moved to card in the first place.

For a good read I would recommend reading these articles:
Which is better: Internal memory or external?
*android.stackexchange.com/question...-any-other-advantages-or-disadvantages-to-sto

So with all these quirks and perks of internal and external memory, Google just decided to provide no expandable memory. As I said not at all a bad thing if you buy a device with sufficiently large memory of 16 GB and above, and when the device support OTG. While what you gain in the end, is Performance like that of Nexus 5.

$hadow

Geek in making
I never care about lack of storage. My N5 was 32 GB and was always used like 10 GB since I store my data on ext hdd it has never been a problem. Internal memory is only used by apps and I don't even have songs since I use savan for music streaming.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
True true why not have both?
Like my Z which has a 16 GB internal for all the apps and games and also an external 32 GB class 10 for all the other stuff like TB backups,movies,TWRP backups,ROMs zip files,music etc

And if you have 16 GB with expandable you don't need to move the apps to SD
Also nowadays phones are coming with 4K recording and 13 MP cam which requires a lot of memory and thus phones without external become handicapped in the situation
Case in point the new Moto X (16 GB one which is released in India ) which has a 13 MP cam and 4K recording but only a measly 16 GB of storage out of which only 11 might be available for user
In such case the phone memory can be easily filled by just recording a couple of minutes of 4K video

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
That I agree. A phone with 4K capability is just handicapped due to small internal memory. I guess they want you to carry your OTG everywhere along with some external storage devices.

But benefit of doubt can be given to Moto X since it is not primarily a DSLR, rather just a phone. And 4K capability should be viewed as a bonus feature than a selling point.

OP
ankush28

ankush28

Bazinga
True true why not have both?
Like my Z which has a 16 GB internal for all the apps and games and also an external 32 GB class 10 for all the other stuff like TB backups,movies,TWRP backups,ROMs zip files,music etc

And if you have 16 GB with expandable you don't need to move the apps to SD
Also nowadays phones are coming with 4K recording and 13 MP cam which requires a lot of memory and thus phones without external become handicapped in the situation
Case in point the new Moto X (16 GB one which is released in India ) which has a 13 MP cam and 4K recording but only a measly 16 GB of storage out of which only 11 might be available for user
In such case the phone memory can be easily filled by just recording a couple of minutes of 4K video

Why this post have Emojis like whatsapp ? :shock:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Put all your apps on SD Card and then when the apps are slow, blame the phone company.

Companies want to avoid this. Built-in storage is faster.

That said, still there is no excuse of releasing a damn 16 GB iPhone. 32 GB should be the minimum norm for built-in storage, expandable SD card present or not.

$hadow

Geek in making
Has anyone seen Xperia Z2 I heard it performs poorly and became hot resulting in shut down if you use the camera too much on sd card.

Top Bottom