Rs 12-13k Upgrade (CPU+Motherboard+GPU)

I am currently using:
Intel E5200 2.5 Ghz
2GB DDR2 RAM
Xfx G41 Motherboard
Xfx Ati Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3

My current PSU is a generic one, no brand. The PC was assembled by someone around 5 years ago. SO there is no way i can inquire about the make and rating of the PSU.

I will be upgrading only CPU,Motherboard and GPU. I will deal with the power supply later, when i have money. I already bought Adata 4GB DDR3 1600 Stick

I have decided on
Intel G 3220 3 Ghz (Rs 3460)

I am considering MSI H81M-S1(Rs 3,570). Some people are telling me to get a B85 board but it cost Rs 5000 and above which will screw my budget. How much compromise am i making by going for H81 instead of B85. Seeing my poverty, its apparent that all i want my motherboard is to be a bed for my components. I dont even update Bios nor have i tinkered with it. No fancy pansy overclock needed. If my old motherboard could support the Haswell CPU and my new RAM i wouldnt even care to upgrade the motherboard. Could you all recommend me a motherboard in the same price range which is do-able for me, if the one i mentioned is not good.

Next is Graphic card.
I have set my sights on Zotac GT 730 1GB DDR5 (Rs5,000) .
There is Sapphire R7 240 1GB DDR5 With Boost for nearly same price.Is it a better performer or better driver/power efficiency/game support.
For a bit more, there is VTX3D AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB DDR5 X-Edition Graphics Card at Rs 6,200.
VTX3D AMD Radeon R7 250 1GB DDR5 X-Edition Graphics Card - Buy Graphics Card Online @ Best Prices on Snapdeal.com
Is it worth the extra bucks ??
The GPUs shouldnt require additional power.

Thats a total of Rs12,000 i can spend, i can add few from my piggy bank and stretch to Rs13,000 at the most.

So all these components you all recommend me , will they run on my PSU which is handling some pretty old power hungry architecture ? (The Ati Radeon HD 4760 consumes 63W on Idle and 139 W on load according to TomsHardware)

Gonna be heading for New Delhi on 27th this month. So ill be shopping around Nehru Place. Will the prices out there be lower than the online ones, which i quoted above??

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
^ he answered everything there is in the questionnaire :p

OP what you have selected. For GPU I'd suggest to get GT740 . Its a very good GPU but its a little costlier. To save some bucks, i'd suggest you to get second hand stuff from erodov and TechEnclave. Try to get a GT740, you won't be disappointed :)

- - - Updated - - -

also dont buy an AMD GPU with your current PSU. Stick to nVidia. And get an Antec VP450p after some time to be on the safe side.

PS - could you attach a pic of your current psu? (upload it in imgur/puush or any other pic hosting site)

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Seeing i can spend around Rs3000 only , is there any other option than the G3220 ?

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Mentioned in the original post

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: See Question No.1

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Like it matters

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Like it matters

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: See the topic title

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: See the topic title

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: See the original post

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Ill do it myself obviously since i am buying only 3 components

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: See original post

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: This Questionaire is stupid for people with specific requests . I filled up this questionnaire and it covers merely 1% of what i want to convey.

- - - Updated - - -

^ he answered everything there is in the questionnaire :p

OP what you have selected. For GPU I'd suggest to get GT740 . Its a very good GPU but its a little costlier. To save some bucks, i'd suggest you to get second hand stuff from erodov and TechEnclave. Try to get a GT740, you won't be disappointed :)

- - - Updated - - -

also dont buy an AMD GPU with your current PSU. Stick to nVidia. And get an Antec VP450p after some time to be on the safe side.

PS - could you attach a pic of your current psu? (upload it in imgur/puush or any other pic hosting site)

*i.imgur.com/sFmYw2f.jpg
*i.imgur.com/HcwbGVl.jpg

heheh forgot it is a Frontech PSU..Didnt look at it for years so i assumed it is brandless

- - - Updated - - -

GT 740 is wayyy over my league. its Rs 7,700 online. A decent 2 yr old second hand one will still cost me Rs 6000+

- - - Updated - - -

I wanna know the performance difference between my old HD 4670 1GB DDR3 vs GT 730 DDR5 /R7 240 DDR5. If the difference isnt much i'd like to skip it for later.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
there is no other option other than g3220 here. i assume your el-cheapo -de-crapo psu is 5 years old, i would never advice you to use it again.
what i advice is ,you may use your current gpu now, get an i3 4150+ an h81 mobo or an fx 6300+ a 970 based mobo plus an antec vp450(a must have!). save more for the gpu and buy it later.

also please have a look at these threads,.it will be helpful to you.

*www.digit.in/forum/power-supply-cabinets-mods/104472-basic-guide-right-power-supply.html
*www.digit.in/forum/power-supply-cabinets-mods/184285-psu-suggestion-list.html

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
there is no other option other than g3220 here. i assume your el-cheapo -de-crapo psu is 5 years old, i would never advice you to use it again.
what i advice is ,you may use your current gpu now, get an i3 4150+ an h81 mobo or an fx 6300+ a 970 based mobo plus an antec vp450(a must have!). save more for the gpu and buy it later.

also please have a look at these threads,.it will be helpful to you.

*www.digit.in/forum/power-supply-cabinets-mods/104472-basic-guide-right-power-supply.html
*www.digit.in/forum/power-supply-cabinets-mods/184285-psu-suggestion-list.html

that is also a good point. But no sense in using a 4670 with i3 4150 as the igpu most probably will be more powerful :p

OP can buy FX 6300 + 78LMT + VP450p and then later on add a GPU. (970A will cross OP's budget )

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
.. but...but ..i want better graphics. :(
My main motivation for the upgrade is to make games more playable :(
Antec vp450 - Rs 2596, not bad.
Gigabyte GA-78LMT series support RAM speed only up to 1333Mhz :( and cheapest is Rs 4000 and the expensive models lack these features
Gigabyte H81M-S1 supports 1600Mhz RAM and has 2 USB 3.0 at Rs 3500

FX 6300 is Rs 7700 and 95W TDP
The i3 3220 is Rs 7000 and performs the same in gaming at just 55W TDP

So is AMD route still better than Intel ?

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, are the local prices in shops cheaper than the ones on online stores??? In my town the G3220 costs Rs 3,900 and no shopkeeper is willing to reduce the price. Online stores show Rs 3500-Rs3600. Will the shops at Nehru Place, New Delhi sell for lower price?

- - - Updated - - -

I am not biased towards any platform. i just want a logical explanation as to why going for AMD is better

- - - Updated - - -

ok did some research, the popular opinion is that FX 6300 is better in multithreaded games, which currently constitutes 1 % of the good games out there. However, future games will be more multi threaded.
The biggest strength is the overclocking, but people say u have to use a better CPU Cooler and Thermal paste and 125W supporting motherboard. Whoa.. So i wont be overclocking at all.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the cheapest AMD motherboard that supports USB 3.0, 1600MHZ RAM and the FX 6300 ?

- - - Updated - - -

Will getting those new components (Motherboard and CPU) increase my gaming performance even while using old HD 4670 ?

- - - Updated - - -

After 2 yrs i will have a job and move out so this PC should be ok-ish till 2017

- - - Updated - - -

geez i wish there was a chat room where we could all discuss smoothly, forum discussions are so inefficient. I am staring at the screen waiting for replies >_<

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
if you want short time satisfaction, you can get a GPU right now or for long time satisfaction and to be in the safe spot, you can get a GPU later on ;)

GA78LMT USB3 ~ 4.2k supports USB3.0.

Well 1333Mhz isnt that bad :l .
FX 6300 > i3 in gaming. Newer games are using more and more cores and are less emphasising on single core power.

Many local shops are cheaper than onlime shops. If shopkeeper is unwilling to reduce prices, go to some other shop or take your mom with you to do the bargaining (i always do that :p )

More cores = better performance in future games

forget 1600MHz. You'll have to spend 5.5k for a mobo supporting 1600MHz and AM3+ sockets

In CPU intensive games yes

If you get GPU later on, it will be more than ok-ish

also if you are worried that your mobo wont accept you already bought RAM, dont be. It'll automatically underclock to 1333MHz :)

if you want short time satisfaction, you can get a GPU right now or for long time satisfaction and to be in the safe spot, you can get a GPU later on ;)

GA78LMT USB3 ~ 4.2k supports USB3.0.

Well 1333Mhz isnt that bad :l .
FX 6300 > i3 in gaming. Newer games are using more and more cores and are less emphasising on single core power.

Many local shops are cheaper than onlime shops. If shopkeeper is unwilling to reduce prices, go to some other shop or take your mom with you to do the bargaining (i always do that )

More cores = better performance in future games

Well that's a real piece of wisdom brother, taking mom to do the bargaining
I should do this too

But I think i3 will be better, cheap motherboard, support 1600mhz ram and will require a relatively light psu (read bp 300p)

Top Bottom