Rooting Galaxy S2

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Hi,
I want to root my device and want to know some thing before I do.

1. When I root, will all my data be lost. I know I need to take a backup, but will all the contact and SMS will be deleted

2. After rooting will i be able to revert to factory setting in case I have to go to service center

3. Is there any user here who is using a rooted S2.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
1. When I root, will all my data be lost. I know I need to take a backup, but will all the contact and SMS will be deleted

NO.

2. After rooting will i be able to revert to factory setting in case I have to go to service center

rooting will root your mobile i.e. allow you to grant super user permission to some specific apps as well as add the superuser app (using which you grant those permissions) to the mobiles installed apps. you can unroot at any time. Though you may have to uninstall superuser manually.

So if you root and start kicking out apps then yes you may have trouble going back to the old state. There are 2 ways out of this: flash the stock samsung firmware again or if you have taken a backup somehow, restore it.

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
^^ Ok so here are some more questions

If none of the data is deleted like contact and sms then does rooting not format the phone. I was assuming that rooting will install the OS again.

If I root, does it effect the warranty and if yes, when i revert back will the service center be able to know that I have rooted once.

When I root and then install a custom rom, then will the data get deleted. I want to install the pure ICS rom on my S2.

Good Post.. Awaiting replies..
Can any1 list advantages of rooting phone..

Well rooting helps to install a lot of custom roms on your phones. I wanted to root as I wanted to experience the PURE ICS rom on my S2. This is only possible using rooting.

There are a lot of roms available on internet with a lot of advantages. If you are using Galaxy S2 or nexus then go to www.galaxys2rom.com and check the advantages of different rom.

rickson23

The Pirate King
What is Rooting on Android? The Advantages and Disadvantages - technetinfo.in

This should help !
The chance of 'Bricking' are very slim if u follow the guidelines...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
If I root, does it effect the warranty and if yes, when i revert back will the service center be able to know that I have rooted once.

unless the service center got some really expert DEVs that know where old logs are saved, they won't know. Actually they won't bother checking all these most of time time as its pretty much impossible to know if Android is customized using themes/launchers or the rom in use is custom rom unless you start checking the about page.

When I root and then install a custom rom, then will the data get deleted. I want to install the pure ICS rom on my S2.

phone memory (contacts, sms)? yes.

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
thanks for the info. now i have a very silly question.

when i started the phone i coonected a lot of fb profilw with my gmail contacts and phone contacts. so now they appear one. is it possible to retain that so atht i dont have to undergo the same pain of connecting them after i have installed a custom rom.

also which one according to u all is the best rom for S2.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
when i started the phone i coonected a lot of fb profilw with my gmail contacts and phone contacts. so now they appear one. is it possible to retain that so atht i dont have to undergo the same pain of connecting them after i have installed a custom rom.

i think you'll need some kind of app to backup your contacts as google sync will just backup the contacts and not the FB profiles associated with it. GOContacts should be able to take proper backup and restore it later.

ancilary

Broken In
no but to be in safe side use mybackup or gobackup to backup your data

yes u can :)

3. Is there any user here who is using a rooted S2.
yes , im using it with rooted from past 4 months and flashing rom,
pm me if u want any thing , lots of guides is there and search a guide for your android version and baseband
also take care when you flash radios

OP
ajayashish

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
Does Kies save the connected contacts.. and after rooting and using custom rom can i use kies to sync back the contacts

ithehappy

Human Spambot
@Ajay: Stock ROM is always the best. Most bug free out there. You can anytime remove the unnecessary bloatwares if you don't want them.
I never used any custom ROM and never will, but still of you're so keen to taste then CheckROM for GB seems quite stable and good. Heard V7 is also coming for ICS. For Pure Google experience (in which I don't believe) you might try Google Nexus ROM.

Regards.

ancilary

Broken In
@Ajay: Stock ROM is always the best. Most bug free out there. You can anytime remove the unnecessary bloatwares if you don't want them.
I never used any custom ROM and never will, but still of you're so keen to taste then CheckROM for GB seems quite stable and good. Heard V7 is also coming for ICS. For Pure Google experience (in which I don't believe) you might try Google Nexus ROM.

Regards.

Lol come on accept you haven't tried most of the best roms out there. There is a pure rom which is built from aosp sources and gives pure Google experience I know cause I was a nexus s user before switching to s2. Also it depends on how you modify your rom and which kernel you use. And how you modify root settings for your requirement

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Lol come on accept you haven't tried most of the best roms out there.
Lol. Sorry I am not a person who comments without using any thing. Course I've tried them, sorry, they bring this and that bug always, or a missing feature, sorry I am not using that in my 700$ phone. Better use/have 8/10 good features rather than having 2/10 great features and missing other ones. Sorry I am not a person who could be sold by 'flashy' or 'gimmicky' things.
Hope you got my point ;)

red dragon

Master troll
@ajay,
Your google account will keep all your contacts,just make sure to sync your calendar and contact before flashing a new ROM.Sorry missed out the FB part,no idea as I do not use FB.
But,I will also suggest to use the stock ROM,use a good custom kernel,debloat the stock,you are good to go!
There is nothing magical in custom ROMs,most stock based ROMs are basically photoshopped bunch of apks.
AOSP/AOKP ROMs are even worse(rubbish actually)
If you do not like TW,get rid of the TW launcher only and install whatever you like,the TW framework is the best thing in GS2.
Just do not get fooled by the custom ROM madness,most people boasting their custom stocks/AOSP/AOKP builds know nothing.
There is absolutely no reason to believe that the CM9 will work better than TW in GS2.

Last edited:

red dragon

Master troll
There is a pure rom which is built from aosp sources and gives pure Google experience I know cause I was a nexus s user before switching to s2. Also it depends on how you modify your rom and which kernel you use. And how you modify root settings for your requirement
I guess you are talking about luca89 ROM (the pure google thing)...I would rather call it a POOR google thing.
Luca actually made a fine GB ROM for GS2 before moving onto AOSP,and the battery life of his new ROM simply sucks(gpu driver issue as usual and luca is helpless as Samsung wont help and he is just a kid to RE the whole damned source code Sammy has dumped)
As you were a Nexus user,I thought you would understand these issues.
Samsung(or any manufacturers for that matter)will never ever give the drivers to the devs and hence the AOSP/CM project will always have the huge mountain to climb.
Remember how much time it took for CM9 team to make the video camera working in GS2(it still sucks compared to stock)??
The CM team after all these years still have the video codec issue,actually the list is pretty long....
And finally did not understand what you mean by root setting!!
Did you try to say fiddling around with su access?

ancilary

Broken In
No not that.
Under volt, over clock, governor etc
Well in my opinion currently I switched to aokp rom only aokp an its good compared to cm9 or cm merged with aokp.
But if you want very stable rom then you have to go to Sammy roms..

Top Bottom