Status
Not open for further replies.

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
I am unable to longin as root in ubuntu (warty realease) either using the su command or the login menu. it auways says authorization failed. The main problem is that during installation it had asked noting about root password but now it is asking for the password. I whenever try to install a software (.deb) it says u have not got tht rights to do that. Help me please.

praka123

left this forum longback
if u want traditional root authentication system

run in CLI:
"sudo passwd root" without quotes,assign password for root.now u can 'su' as
root.if u want to login as root in gnome,
run #gdmsetup
browse to security and enable "allow root to login in GDM".ubuntu prefers sudo method as a administrator user for system.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Use Synaptic its a good package manager if you have your internet connection configured in Warty..

OP
nishant_nms

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
but it asks for the password and i hadn't provided it at the time of installation because i was not asked about it

praka123

left this forum longback
:lol: @nishant_nms: budd i mean u try a terminal and in terminal type
Code:
$sudo passwd root

in prompt give (local user)a password OR You are saying U ddnt set ur local($) user password. if u gave blank password try simply enter twice :wink:

Booting into single user mode from GRUB

Follow these steps to reset the password when using GRUB:

* Reboot the system, and when you are at the selection prompt highlight the line for Linux and press 'e'. You may only have 2or3 seconds to do this, so be quick.
* This will take you to another screen where you should select the entry that begins with 'kernel' and press 'e' again.
* Append ' single' to the end of that line (without the quotes). Make sure that there is a space between what's there and 'single'. If your system requires you to enter your root password to log into single-user mode, then append init=/bin/bash after 'single'. Hit 'Enter' to save the changes.
* Press 'b' to boot into Single User Mode.
* Once the system finishes booting, you will be logged in as root. Use passwd and choose a new password for root.
* Type reboot to reboot the system, and you can login with the new password you just selected.

AND for local user if u forgot $ passwd,then as root type:
Code:
#passwd username
enter new passwd for local user.
believe it helped U
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom