Rom problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binay 007

fff..fire fire...
My friends cd rom is not able to read a minor skrech cd but almost cds r working properly what might be the problem .

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
It took me a while to understand what you are asking! :confused:
CDrom doesn't play slightest scratch cd's but can play good CD'd pretty well. Right?
Dust might have accumulated making CD's unreadable. Clean the lens of CD player properly by using standard head cleaners.

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
Something which has worked for me some times ... keep the CD under running tap water face up and then wipe with soft cloth ... nd then try .... Donno if this is the right way but somehow works for me :D

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Yes wiping the CDs with water / wet cloth may help.

Sometimes you might find that CD surface has dust or such particle accumulation that prevents the drive from reading the CDs.

What AshishSharma mentioned has worked for me too sometimes!

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
@Ashish Sharma and Patkim,

Don't give such unusual solutions and make fun of others, especially for new comers. This forum is a place for solving problems and sharing knowledge.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
'Minor scratch' as mentioned by Binary 007 indeed could be handled with wiping the CD with a wet cloth. I don’t say it’s a sure shot, but may work. I have done it a few times and it does work. Wet cloth helps remove the dust and makes the surface clean and in turn may help the laser to actually read the data as it passes over the minor scratch.
If it works and if CD holds critical data, you may be successful in copying its data to your HDD for burning it later.

In that case spraying a head cleaner solution on cassette player tape head would also qualify as ‘unusual’ because we are applying some wet solution to an electronic device.

Normally a very minor scratch can easily be handled by CD laser, however if it fails to read, CD may keep rotating & Drive light continuously flickering.

One thing I forgot to mention is that there are some good CD data recovery softwares available on download.com. You can try and see if it works with your scratched CD. However most of them are sharewares and hence if successful in recovery may not extract full file unless you purchase/register the same.

gg_3000

Broken In
kiran.rkk said:
It took me a while to understand what you are asking! :confused:
Couldn't agree with u more!

BTW, whats the brand of u'r CD-ROM Drive? Do u hav the latest firmwares installed?

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
kiran.rkk said:
@Ashish Sharma and Patkim,

Don't give such unusual solutions and make fun of others, especially for new comers. This forum is a place for solving problems and sharing knowledge.

Dude the idea is to give solution, it doesn't need to the most technically correct one.... I clearly said it might not be the most correct option but something that does work ... Solutions don't need to be absolutely Hi Fandu all the time ...

OP
Binay 007

Binay 007

fff..fire fire...
Thanx to u all techno budies.

I don,t new that it work.

I saw a guy before 1 year he too cleaning cds like this but he was using hydrogen peroxide(H2 o2 use in hair dyeing)instade of water .I was thinking it is just damaging the disk.

I will try my self & suggest my friend to try this.

thx ones again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom