Rocksmith 2014 progress report

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
So that leaves me with two options either I can buy a pickup for my cheap Givson (which is a cheaper option) and then upgrade to a good electric some years later or I can get a good electric guitar from the very start. This depends mainly on the fact that a pickup+giveson combo will work with Rocksmith.

Buying a 8k electric guitar that is not very good does not seem like a good option to me, if I'm blowing that much money then might as wll go dthe whole hog and get an Epiphone/Pacifica

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
I suggest Les Paul2. It may not look as good as pacifica but has two humbuckers.

[IMGG]*images.epiphone.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Special-II/Gallery/VS_Splash.jpg[/IMGG]
[IMGG]*www.coda-music.com/images/pacifica-112v-blk.jpg[/IMGG]

debarshi

Otaku
So that leaves me with two options either I can buy a pickup for my cheap Givson (which is a cheaper option) and then upgrade to a good electric some years later or I can get a good electric guitar from the very start. This depends mainly on the fact that a pickup+giveson combo will work with Rocksmith.

Buying a 8k electric guitar that is not very good does not seem like a good option to me, if I'm blowing that much money then might as wll go dthe whole hog and get an Epiphone/Pacifica

I'm using an electro-accoustic guitar
This one to be specific - Buy Granada Acoustic Guitar Dreadnought Cutaway Curly Ash Top With Eq Prfld19ceq Trans Blue Online | Best Granada Acoustic Guitar in India | Furtados Online
but trust me, I have had a lot of problems with, in the arcade games, and the songs too - let alone the fact that you'll be hearing two kinds of sound, which is distracting.

So I'd suggest you go with a BRANDED electric guitar instead of spending 8k on a cheap one. I'd suggest the Les Paul Special II as well

bikramjitkar

In the zone
I suggest Les Paul2. It may not look as good as pacifica but has two humbuckers.

Why are you so obsessed with humbuckers ? :lol:

The pacifica is a much more versatile instrument in the sounds it can produce. Also, it's lighter and more comfortable to play for a beginner.

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
So I got me some ahem DLC's :p

First time played the some - beginners luck? naah
*i.imgur.com/sa90kWY.jpg
*i.imgur.com/XN6gU5e.jpg

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I finally got my copy of the game, connected it to my signature acoustic guitar with a 650 buck yamaha (shaayad farzi hai) pickup. Works fine with all that i tried. Will need to check if bends, harmonics and slides work too.

Btw everyone check out smithyanvil. It has a bunch of custom songs for rocksmith 2014. Summer of 69, hotel calafornia and pretty much every song that i looked for. You'll need to go to the forums, register to access it, then go to 2014 submitted packages.

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
I finally got my copy of the game, connected it to my signature acoustic guitar with a 650 buck yamaha (shaayad farzi hai) pickup. Works fine with all that i tried. Will need to check if bends, harmonics and slides work too.

Btw everyone check out smithyanvil. It has a bunch of custom songs for rocksmith 2014. Summer of 69, hotel calafornia and pretty much every song that i looked for. You'll need to go to the forums, register to access it, then go to 2014 submitted packages.

bends will be difficult as the strings are tight and not that slinky (i don't know)
post a photo of your guitar.
smithyanvil - yea ok, I'm not interested in custom songs moreover it does not work for PS3 - its more like piracy plus editing the game software is against the eula.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
here is my guitar and pickup

*i.imgur.com/29Eo4DA.jpg

*i.imgur.com/oqJ31Px.jpg

BTW I tried the guitarcade games and slides work pretty decently (it does over/under read the slide at times) and harmonics is really hard, either I'm doing it wrong or it finds it very hard to read them. But still seems like a decent setup for a little over 3500+650 bucks

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I did, it's a little hard since I'm still getting used to how lightly the string needs to be touched and when to remove your hand. Plus I think my pickup can't really read those all that well.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
It's a 650 buck pickup that I purchased for the guitar from a yamaha shop. you can clip it onto the guitar when you want to use it. Can be removed as needed

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
I did, it's a little hard since I'm still getting used to how lightly the string needs to be touched and when to remove your hand. Plus I think my pickup can't really read those all that well.

well that's the difference between an actual electric and acoustic.
But anyway there is hardly any song that makes that extensive use of harmonics. I suggest you to look for the video's only if you absolutely need or don't understand.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Have you all started the 60 day challenge on the ubisoft site? Rocksmith® 2014 - How to Track Your Progress | Ubisoft® (US) just discovered it, it's pretty good

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
I'm Getting better at some songs
*i.imgur.com/RQd5VGk.jpg
*i.imgur.com/BpDuYwv.jpg

Also got some jRock
*i.imgur.com/D4Mzyk2.jpg

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@Gollum, suggest some beginner songs from the rocksmith DLCs. I've learnt the basic 8 odd chords (A, Am, Em, D, C, F, B) but I need some popular songs to practice them. Knocking on heaven's door is one, suggest some others

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
@Gollum, suggest some beginner songs from the rocksmith DLCs. I've learnt the basic 8 odd chords (A, Am, Em, D, C, F, B) but I need some popular songs to practice them. Knocking on heaven's door is one, suggest some others

there is nothing called as beginner chords
you first need to know how to shift from one chord to another.
I started from rem - losing my religion - its got a few easy chords but then I shifted to lead as I find that to be easier.
I suggest you to start playing castle chordead - its very good for some fretting hand exercise. most rock songs use F5 power chord. power chords are the building blocks of Rock!
play string skip saloon for picking stings
and play ducksredux for shifting quickly between frets.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I'm doing all of this, but it will take time for me to get used to the movements and rhythms. So looking for a song that does not have very complicated shifting or a huge number of chords.

Knocking on heavens door (rhythm) is great as it has 4 basic chords and you vary the strumming to give the effect

Tried eye of the tiger lead also, seems to be a comfortable song

OP
Gollum

Gollum

Collector
I'm doing all of this, but it will take time for me to get used to the movements and rhythms. So looking for a song that does not have very complicated shifting or a huge number of chords.

Knocking on heavens door (rhythm) is great as it has 4 basic chords and you vary the strumming to give the effect

Tried eye of the tiger lead also, seems to be a comfortable song
try eye of the tiger rhythm - its very easy
also try evanescence - there is only one song - bring me to life
you can try - La Sera - Love That's Gone - its easy and nice to play - has shifting but its repetitive so it will be easy to remember.
I got Rise against DLC yesterday - unfortunately its Eb standard tuning so it will be a while till I try it. Hate tuning over and over. I like most songs that are Drop D tuning and E-Standard is always nice.

Top Bottom