Rig for Web Development work - Netbeans, Firefox, Chrome, Virtualbox, Photoshop

kasshav

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: For web development purpose at an office. Must be able to run Netbeans, Firefox, Chrome, Skype, Oracle Virtualbox and Photoshop simultaneously without slowing down the system.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 15k-20k , That's my rough guess. I need the system to be at least 3 years future-proof, so suggest what is the best price for that.
Additionally I also need a printer with scan and copy functionality. That is separate from this budget.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Never

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 and Ubuntu Dual Boot

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 360Gb is enough. The system will only contain development related data.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, suggest for both 19" and 22"

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Want to buy following components: Processor,Motherboard,Cabinet,Keyboard,Mouse,Monitor,UPS, Graphic Card. Speakers are not required but suggest a descent headphone for Skype chatting purposes. Additionally I also need a printer with scan and copy functionality. That is separate from this budget.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Immediately. Within 1 week.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will assemble myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Chandigarh or Online doesn't matter.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
Want the system to be future proof for at least 3 years.
Graphic Card needed will be used for Photoshop and Illustrator only. No gaming
The system must not slow down when opening Netbeans, Firefox, Chrome, Skype, Virtualbox and Photoshop simultaneously.
Additionally I also need a printer with scan and copy functionality. That is separate from this budget.

Last edited:
OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
Ok, how about leaving the future proof for now? In that case what will you suggest? I am actually looking for a system which can run for next 3 years, not upgradable. It means that the system must be able to run the mentioned applications and their updated versions for next 3 years. Also it doesn't matter whether Intel or AMD.
you need 30-35k for future proof i think :rolleyes:

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Intel i3 3210 @ 6600

Gigabyte H61 -D2H @ 3400

Kingston hyper x blue 4gb @ 2400

Wd cavier blue 500gb @3100

Antec Bp300 psu @ 1800

Local cabinet @ 700

Logitech mk200 keyboard &mice @ 700

Dell In1930m 18.5 inch led @ 5300

Saphhire hd 6670 1gb ddr5 @ 5500

Total @ 29,500

this is hot deal get it :-D *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/bazaar/178946-intel-i3-2100-3m-cache-3-10-ghz.html

abhijeet.ak

Broken In
Ok, how about leaving the future proof for now? In that case what will you suggest? I am actually looking for a system which can run for next 3 years, not upgradable. It means that the system must be able to run the mentioned applications and their updated versions for next 3 years. Also it doesn't matter whether Intel or AMD.

Updated versions of software have an updated hardware requirement as well :)

I can assure you that you can run the current versions for next 3 years though.... are you ok with this ?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Get either a FX-6300 or if possible, a FX-8320. There is no way that Intel Dual Core or AMD's quad core processors will be able to handle that kind of workload, specially when OP is gonna run all those applications simultaneously.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
fx 6300 @ 7300
Gigabyte ga78lmt usb3 @ 4300
Antec Bp300 psu @ 1800
Local cabinet @ 700
logitech mk200 keyboard &mice @ 700

OP
kasshav

kasshav

Broken In
This rig looks good. Can you please tell me how much a 320Gb hard disk will cost as compared to this 500Gb?
Also please suggest a multifunctional printer too.
fx 6300 @ 7300
Gigabyte ga78lmt usb3 @ 4300
Antec Bp300 psu @ 1800
Local cabinet @ 700
logitech mk200 keyboard &mice @ 700

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
This rig looks good. Can you please tell me how much a 320Gb hard disk will cost as compared to this 500Gb?
Also please suggest a multifunctional printer too.

i dont think there will be a significant price difference between 320 gb and 500gb hdds. better get 500gb

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
try this if you want laser Samsung - ML 2161 Single Function Laser Printer - Samsung: Flipkart.com

Better to go with nvidia as it offers CUDA for photoshop

[h=2]Mercury Graphics Engine[/h]
The Mercury Graphics Engine (MGE) represents features that use video card processor, or GPU, acceleration. In Photoshop CS6, this new engine delivers near-instant results when editing with key tools such as Liquify, Warp, Lighting Effects, and the Oil Paint filter. The new MGE delivers unprecedented responsiveness for a fluid feel as you work.
MGE is new to Photoshop CS6 and uses both the OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks. It does not use the proprietary CUDA framework from nVidia.

Source: helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

Neither does PS CS6 uses CUDA nor does CC. AMD's OpenCL performance is way way way better then any Nvida card. An HD7770 can easily beat 660.

Top Bottom