Revive Offtopic thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Well, what I missed in thread title... PLEASE revive offtopic thread!

Is it gone for good? It was closed b4 too but not this long...are you going to open it or we (I at least) create Offtopic pt2 thread.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Name the title as "Offtopic thread V2 Never forgive, Never forget"

Btw content:
Don't **** Your Pants

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
all right let's do it this way.

Offtopic Shoutbox thread.

Just a few pointers -

Post anything you want to share. Links etc. anything. You want to point people to a question of yours - yes do that.
Don't ask questions or "quote" posts in that thread. I mean, don't carry out a discussion. Because questions are best asked in a separate thread so it is helpful for everyone.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Post anything you want to share.
Don't ask questions or "quote" posts. I mean, don't carry out a discussion. Because questions are best asked in separate thread so it is helpful for everyone.

But, this was the original intent. MODs at a time deleted any post that are not original or PJ or photos.

And, we created that thread as SPAM-like threads were created everyday in chit-chat section. At least that thread minimized that issue.

If you want to increase thread count...well, current solution is alright. Else, open that thread.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
But, this was the original intent. MODs at a time deleted any post that are not original or PJ or photos.

And, we created that thread as SPAM-like threads were created everyday in chit-chat section. At least that thread minimized that issue.

If you want to increase thread count...well, current solution is alright. Else, open that thread.
I wasn't a mod at that time.

That thread will get opened, there is no reason to lock it except - stuff which should be discussed separately, should be discussed separately. Example, questions.

No, that is not the point, the offtopic thread was way out of it's original purpose, that was to have casual talks there, not queries. The problem of asking stuff in a thread like that would make a pain to search topics, for new users. If there is going to be a new offtopic thread, it will be like a shoutbox, and certainly no queries there :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Offtopic thread: Zindabad! :D

Dont know.. cant say about it's shelf life though. :p

So.. in my first offtopic post in this offtopic part 2 thread, I want to say that..

I learned something new today. Thought that I might have broke somebody's trust. Quit something important to me. But decided not to take it with a pinch of salt.

I know its vague, but thats enough which I can share. ;)

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^Last two lines of your post is typical "offtopic" post. And, IMO, this might not be the Pt-2 thread...or depends on what MODs decide.

On second thought...

what do you mean by queries? If its technical...they can be moved to particular section.

But, if you want new threads for each and every "eureka" moment us digitians want to share with others...well, you are welcome again.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
the problem is that people dont start new threads and bunch anything and everything they wanna share into off topic discussion
a lot of questions asked on that thread would have been extremely relevant to search, and many deserved their own threads for a more comprehensive discussion
better approach would just be to encourage new thread posting by experienced members

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Reason it was shut down, because a lot of new users landed up there (God know how); and picked up stupid habits and etiquette and troll tendencies. It became difficult for us to maintain, and as said above a lot of generic queries (for which we have sections); were being asked here. It was a useless melting point. We might open it down the line.

:)

Krow

Crowman
are you going to open it or we (I at least) create Offtopic pt2 thread.

Bad way to request.

Offtopic thread had one or two members posting within guidelines. Others began spamming, chatting, trolling, posting YouTube videos, PJs, etc, when we had dedicated threads. Despite repeated requests, it did not stop.

In the end, what killed the thread was everyone landing up there to ask tech questions, and other stuff which would have been apparent with a simple search. Once again, we tried to move them to separate threads, but it didn't stop.

The last 100 replies alone had at least 20 posts which deserved separate threads or at least a forum search. The thread was encouraging laziness and members have repeatedly proved that they are unwilling to change any of the problems mentioned above.

Thus thread had to be closed, and I'm for closing it forever. It was killing this section and eating up content which should have been in other sections.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
But, if you want new threads for each and every "eureka" moment us digitians want to share with others...well, you are welcome again.
It will be unlocked the moment you realise and understand why it was locked. :)

Until then it's locked.

You're most welcome to start a new thread - but it shouldn't be a fodder for queries and questions. Questions which will require a "discussion" are best asked separately so that it is helpful for everyone. Some news deserve their own thread. In the end, a layer of few lolpics, loljokes & lolvideos and good stuff gets buried down.

We have a Chit-Chat FORUM ffs. Not a Chit-Chat "thread".

Similar thing happened in the Gamerz section as well - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/gamerz/92745-game-you-currently-addicted-339.html <-- This thread killed the whole section, I recall.

My views are word to word same as Anorion's. I'm ready to unlock it immediately if the reason why it was locked is understood.

the problem is that people dont start new threads and bunch anything and everything they wanna share into off topic discussion
a lot of questions asked on that thread would have been extremely relevant to search, and many deserved their own threads for a more comprehensive discussion
better approach would just be to encourage new thread posting by experienced members

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Its kinda psychic when you say "It will be unlocked the moment you realise and understand why it was locked."
How would you know if I've understood the meaning? Or, you want me to give in writing that I've understood the reason.

And, it seems I'm the only one who has problem with the thread being locked...do whatever you want.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Its kinda psychic when you say "It will be unlocked the moment you realise and understand why it was locked."
How would you know if I've understood the meaning? Or, you want me to give in writing that I've understood the reason.

And, it seems I'm the only one who has problem with the thread being locked...do whatever you want.

Somethings telling me you still didn't quite understand why it was locked. :)
And no you are not alone. I too am in favor of opening the offtopic thread, but as long as the rules of posting in it is maintained. ;)

In last I want to re-quote this:
rhitwick babu, you need to let off some steam. Shall I suggest some good troll comics or perhaps some other "Adult" remedies ?

:D

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Are yaar...all of a sudden its on me.

IronManForever created this thread and from second post I was there. I think I've always abided by rules (untold) for that thread. Even if you dig the thread you would find me protesting of people posting PJs, photos, videos.

I know why the thread was created, I know what to be posted in that thread.

And, yeah it feels good letting off some steam :p And, I know the alternatives ;)

Not the way to ask for things, but since you gave the "permission" to, we gladly take the opprtunity to "do whatever we want", to close it for good.

I stand by ico's and Anorion's words, it will be opened once you realize why it was closed in the first place, and you are always free to start a new thread, but make sure it does not end up like the current offtopic thread. The chit chat "section" is for offtopic threads, and "all offtopic discussions goes here" is idiotic. Make a shoutbox, where people can quote their daily experiences, maybe share a joke, post something that is not worthy for a thread.

You said that Mods can move the queries from the offtopic thread to new threads. The chit chat section exists for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom