revit @ 45K

shreyaBling

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:Run smooth sessions of revit and a bit of light 3d on sketchup.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 40K +5K MAX i can strecth

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: dont really understand it but would love to

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Win 7 or win 8

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500gb extend to 1 TB if needed).

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I have 22 inch samsung, so no
7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Mouse, Keyboard, UPS, speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans: 3 weeks max.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: delhi. open to buying stuff wherever i can squeeze out a few bucks.

11. anything you would like to add
I have three 2.5" 500 GB 5400rpm hdd cud they be used
I would love to use AMD if certain config makes it better withing my price range

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD FX 8350 (8 Core, 4GHz, 8MB L2 + 8MB L3) @ 12.5K
Asus M5A97 @ 6.6k
Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 8GB X 1 DDR3 Ram @ 2.7K
WD Caviar Green 1TB (64 MB Cache, SATA 6 Gbps) SATA @ 4.1K
Gigabyte HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 @ 7.9K
Corcar CX 500 V2 @ 3.1K
NZXT Source 210 Elite @ 2.6K

Overclocking means running the CPu at the speed which is higher than the stock speed. It improves performance in certain areas as the CPu can now process more data but also increases heating and power consumption. So for overclocking, every company release their specialized hardware which can handle the burden of it. The rig I've suggested you is overclockable and can be done safely very easily.

OP
S

shreyaBling

Broken In
hi, correct me if im wrong but i cant seem to find a graphic card in this config.....rest i googled amd 8350 and it seems to be the perfect choice...:)....
thanks

Cilus

laborare est orare
man, Gigabyte HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 suggested over there is a Graphics card. The application sketchup does have support for GPU accleration via OpenCL. In other word, it can use the processing power of GPU to accelerate the process. AMD HD 7000 series is based on a new architecture, known as GCN, which offers superior compute performance over their competitors. SO I have suggested it as it will help you in 3D rendering apps.

OP
S

shreyaBling

Broken In
thanks man...i am finally ordering things over internet and getting it assembled locally(gurgaon), as i calculated my budget i do have 7-8K spare , thus i was wondering if buying a 2Gb graphic card is of any use, or anything else i could add. And also i want to get cool cabinet..something i can keep looking at ...mersmerized ...what do you think about Antec X1 Case Gaming Cabinet Price India, Buy Antec Cabinet Accessories Online - Infibeam.com abd i also saw NZXT EVO BETA and VULCAN *hardwire.in/24_nzxt?p=2

Last edited:
OP
S

shreyaBling

Broken In
sorry for my confusing reply..
AMD FX 8350 (8 Core, 4GHz, 8MB L2 + 8MB L3) @ 12.5K
Asus M5A97 @ 6.6k
Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 8GB X 1 DDR3 Ram @ 2.7K
WD Caviar Green 1TB (64 MB Cache, SATA 6 Gbps) SATA @ 4.1K
Gigabyte HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 @ 7.9K
Corcar CX 500 V2 @ 3.1K
NZXT Source 210 Elite @ 2.6K

this totals around 38K for me...and i got 7K-8K more...thus i was thinking of replacing the 1GB with a 2GB and also buying a chic cabinet thats looks nice..btw

Is MSI better than gigabyte?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^AMD fx8350 is the default choice here because Revit is heavily multithreaded and can use upto 16 cores. The suggestion by members are spot on here.
I don't think you will benefit with more VRAM in revit. Besides i found out that it needs a workstation class GPU rather than a consumer grade GPU.

Have a look here:

Autodesk - Certified Hardware - Find Recommended Hardware

Since you are not in gaming, opt for a workstation gpu if you are into 4D BIM modelling. The results will be accurate and better.
AMD firegl v4800 should be good for you and light on pocket too.

Btw i found this and its recommended by Autodesk:

*www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=s...tegory_id=439&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

And revit also benefits from high performance drives. Opt for a WD black 1tb instead.

OP
S

shreyaBling

Broken In
^^

Have a look here:

Autodesk - Certified Hardware - Find Recommended Hardware

Since you are not in gaming, opt for a workstation gpu if you are into 4D BIM modelling. The results will be accurate and better.
AMD firegl v4800 should be good for you and light on pocket too.

Btw i found this and its recommended by Autodesk:

*www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=s...tegory_id=439&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

And revit also benefits from high performance drives. Opt for a WD black 1tb instead.

Thanks to you ..i did my own research work and i have the following issues
1 does AMD ATI Radeon 6850 Black Edition (1 GB) works fine with my config?
2. Is HD 7770 newer version of 5770 ..is there a difference?
3...Also do NVIDIA cards work with AMD?

source: *www.revitforum.org/hardware-infrastructure/72-revit-hardware-video-graphic-cards.html

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Thanks shreya. You've made our work a lot easier by posting the above link. It has certainly made everything clear.

Now coming to your questions, here are the respective answers :

1.Yes,6850 will work fine with your config but its kind of obsolete now. Better cards are available at its pricepoint.
2.7770 is based on a completely new architecture called GCN ( Graphics core next) and its much much better than 5770.
3.Yes, nvidia cards will work with amd processors. :)

Now after reading that link i came to know that revit does not use the gpu for rendering. It uses the cpu and will benefit with more cores and clockspeed.
Therefore 8350 is now a definitive choice.

For gpu, you don't really need an expensive workstation card like i had previously suggested because i did not knew that revit doesn't use full gpu resources for rendering.
So now you can give that quadro a wide berth.

You don't even need a 7770 because as that guy said, revit hardly uses gpu resources.

So for your needs, pick up a 7750 1gb and you are all set for revit. But if you want, you can still pick up the 7770.
No issues. No need to spend more for the gpu and 1gb video memory is much more than enough because revit doesn't use that much vram.

So i guess you can safely pick the original config that you had decided or can go for a 7750 1gb to cut down cost.
But get a faster harddisk like wd black 1tb.

Last edited:

Neo

For the cabinet, get Corsair 300R since you have money ;)
Also opt for a CPU cooler such as CM Hyper 212 EVO. This is optional, but I'd recommend you to get it.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Neo is right. With the saved money, a good CPU Cooler is very much appreciated here. I hope you are familiar with Turbo Core/Turbo Boost functionality of both the AMD and Intel Processors. In a nutshell, when all the CPU cores are not getting used, this technology increases the clock speed of the Cores which are getting used. In case of 8350, all the 8 cores can jump to 4.2 GHz from the stock 4GHz speed at default setting. Now as it is an unlocked Processor, the Turbo Core Multiplier can be increased without any barrier. I hope you knnow CPU Multiplier X Base Clock = CPU Frequency. In case of FX 8350, the base clock is 200 MHz, the Multiplier is 20X (20 X 200MHz = 4000 MHz) and stock turbo Multiplier is 21X (21 X 200MHz) = 4200 MHz.
So you can actually enable something like Auto Overclocking. If you have a good cooler like Hyper 212 Evo, just go to the BIOS of your Motherboard and set the Turbo Multiplier to 24 and save it. So now the Turbo Frequency is 24X200 = 4800 MHz or 4.8 GHz).
Now when you will be running any CPU heavy workload, automatically at least 6 Cores (in Windows Balanced Profile) or all the 8 Cores (in High Performance Power Profile) will jump to 4.8 GHz to execute the application faster and when the task is done, automatically they'll be down clocked to 4 GHz speed. Here the best thing is you don't need to change any complex settings like Base Clock Frequency, CPU voltage etc for stable overclocking, all of 'em will be adjusted automatically. Also the CPU will run at higher speed only when under stress, not when you're browsing the Internet, resulting lower power consumption.

Neo

Yea, that's a good thing about over clocking fx8350 on windows, simple-easy and it works like a charm.

Cilus

laborare est orare
In fact, for stable overclocking, instead of BIOS setting, OP can use AMD Overdrive Software utility which offers every possible settings for high overclocking. You can just start the application, disable Turbo on the fly and then set the CPU voltage to 1.45V or higher and set the Multiplier (CPU Multiplier, not the Turbo) to a higher value like 24/25 to have 4.8 to 5 GHz overclocking. Every thing will be triggered on the fly without any kind of reboot. In fact users can create different overclocking profiles, profiles for a specific applications with AMD Overdrive and save the settings. All you need to do after that is just applying the profile with desired settings.

Also, I was checking in Guru3D and Tomshardware forums. A lot of guys actually confirmed that AMD Overdrive offers better overclocking than BIOS based overclocking.

Top Bottom