Review of iPhone 3G

Status
Not open for further replies.

superczar

-n00b-
I guess there is no point explainng how the iPhone keyboard works till somone has tried it out in person, but here is a hint
when my fat fingers hit r-w-s-r in place of t-e-s-t (now take a quick look at their placement on your qwerty keyboard), the bloody phone fixes it for me as soon as I move on to the next word.
I can't touchtype on a physical keyboard, but interestingly enough, I can touch type on the iPhone

gauravsuneja

macaddict
Zee News New Iphone Prices - Fans Celebrate

*iphone3g-india.com/zee-news-new-iphone-prices-fans-celebrate/

has anybody has thsi news?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I guess there is no point explainng how the iPhone keyboard works till somone has tried it out in person, but here is a hint
when my fat fingers hit r-w-s-r in place of t-e-s-t (now take a quick look at their placement on your qwerty keyboard), the bloody phone fixes it for me as soon as I move on to the next word.
I can't touchtype on a physical keyboard, but interestingly enough, I can touch type on the iPhone
Exactly. And not just that, when you’re typing a word, say “Argentina”, and you’ve typed A-R-G-E, the hit area around ‘N’ increases so that you’re more likely to hit it than ‘B’, ‘H’, ‘J’, or ‘M’, which are the surrounding keys. It really works.

Try it, you won’t be able to hit ‘B’ after A-R-G-E even if you want to. If you really want to hit it, you’ll have to hit ‘N’ and drag your finger over to ‘B’ for the iPhone to accept that. That’s because there’s no word in the English language that starts with those four letters and is followed by anything but ‘N’.

Furthermore, as it should be obvious, it replaces words like “cant” and “dont” and “mustnt”, with their appropriate apostrophe equipped versions—“can’t”, “don’t”, and “mustn’t” respectively. And if you hit the spacebar in quick succession, it adds a period followed by a space, which also speeds up the process quite a bit.

Also, the virtual keyboard, by sheer virtue of its being virtual, has a couple of distinct advantages (apart from the ones already mentioned above)—the buttons change according to the requirements and you can switch between vertical and horizontal layouts. Try that on those fixed plastic keyboards and then we’ll see who’s, er, typing.

I wasn’t kidding when I said that the iPhone’s keyboard trumps even full QWERTY physical keyboards on most handhelds… at least as long as you’re typing in English.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Try it, you won’t be able to hit ‘B’ after A-R-G-E even if you want to. If you really want to hit it, you’ll have to hit ‘N’ and drag your finger over to ‘B’ for the iPhone to accept that. That’s because there’s no word in the English language that starts with those four letters and is followed by anything but ‘N’.
That, I did not know! And it is indeed true. Nicely done. Is this new to the 2.0 software?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, it has been there forever. It was demonstrated in that iPhone keyboard guided tour video that Apple released way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom